User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

"Students follow the music to Apple laptops"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Students follow the music to Apple laptops"
SledgeHammer

2004-09-04, 09:02

This article, linked to from Apple's Hot News ticker, is mostly encouraging, but for a couple lines. I absolutely could not believe that I read the following:
Quote:
Now that Microsoft Office is available for Macs, Guba says, students can work with many Windows programs, such as Outlook for e-mail and Word for documents. “That made a big difference,” he says.
Some people are spectacularly dense. "Now that Office is available"? He talks about it like it happened this year (and yes, I know it's the guy being interviewed, not the writer of the article). I've been using Word and Excel on Macs for as long as can remember. And of course:
Quote:
“When students graduated, they bought computers to be compatible with the rest of the world, and that was a Windows machine,” he says.
What it actually was was an indication that people don't know much about computers, and it would be even more of an indication of that now (regarding compatibility). But sigh...
If the iPod brings a few more people over, even if they're stupid people, that's a good thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-04, 09:31

See? SEE?!? This goes to EXACTLY what I've been saying for, oh, years now...

This kind of ignorance ("ignorance" in the true sense of the word, not a put down) could/should have been addressed by Apple. They barely advertise their hardware as it is, but they've certainly not made a small campaign that targets this particular problem (the long-standing compatibility and performance myths that, no doubt, millions of potential customers still harbor).

It boils down to this: Apple could make a dual 2.0GHz iMac G5 for $799 and sell it at Wal-Mart. But if your average consumer STILL thinks he/she can't use Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint, their new snazzy Epson printer, digital camera, etc. with it, well guess what?

Exactly. So what chance do you give a single 1.8GHz iMac for $1299-1899 that is only sold online, some select mail-order places and some Apple stores sprinkled throughout the country that people have to go to on purpose?

In a nutshell, it's not enough to simply make great, cool-looking stuff. That's only half of it. My Mom, sister, co-workers, buddy across the street, etc. wouldn't know about this stuff if I didn't say anything to them about it.

I really, really hope Apple aggressively sells this new iMac G5 (throw in with the iPod, make some "it runs Microsoft Office" ads, etc...whatever it takes). At this point, they're battling less the Spec Whore mindset than they are simple ignorance and lack of knowledge. And, truthfully, I think that's a lot easier to overcome, if you just decide to DO IT.

I talk to PC users on a frequent basis who had no idea Microsoft makes Office for the Mac, or think that Macs use some sort of funky, proprietary connections and software and can't use Epson, Canon, HP, etc. inkjets, scanners, etc.

That sounds funny, but it's true. That's a genuine, ongoing hurdle that needs to be addressed, otherwise it won't matter what Apple comes out with...only Mac users will be interested.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-04, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
I've been using Word and Excel on Macs for as long as can remember.
I've got to agree -- a lot of people are pretty dumb regarding the software offerings, as good ol' scatesey does the routine of pointing out. Apple doesn't do anything to combat this ignorance either.

What's this about Microsoft Office?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...c-timeline.asp

Word for Mac was one of the *first* big third-party programs. Microsoft was given early test units of the original Macintosh so they could develop it and have it ready to go immediately after the '84 launch date. Heck, I personally remember having old floppies back in the 80's for Word and Excel with that ancient Microsoft logo with the stripy ball for the 'o'.

Eh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg office-timeline.jpg (49.2 KB, 125 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-04, 11:03

I think most people - and you can't blame them, I guess - simply see Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word or whatever and think "Microsoft Windows" and automatically make the leap to "well, it's a Microsoft thing...and it's obviously for Windows", and not give it much thought beyond that. Why should they? The same way that a lot of people might not know Apple makes a Windows version of iTunes or QuickTime. If you're not seeking it out, it probably wouldn't be an assumption you'd naturally make.

Microsoft makes stuff for Windows PC, Apple makes their stuff for Macs. End of story, to many.

They might admire their buddy's cool iMac or PowerBook, but if the topic never comes up, they just probably think to themselves "man, I'd really love one of those Apple machines...that iLife stuff was very cool. But I need to be able to use PowerPoint and Excel, so...".

And that's the end of their interest in the matter.

Sure, some adventurous, info-seeking types will find out, on their own, the straight scoop, but probably not enough to really matter.

You gotta beat most people over the head with explosions, titties, dancing, flying graphics, CGI dinosaurs, music, etc. for them to notice anything.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-04, 11:09

Hey, I think I just came up with Apple's new ad campaign!

Dancing naked dinosaurs, with bazookas.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-04, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Hey, I think I just came up with Apple's new ad campaign!

Dancing naked dinosaurs, with bazookas.
Your idea is good... TOO good... it's bloody GENIUS!

*walks away rubbing hands and scheming like a madman*
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-04, 15:34

I hit a homer every now and then...what can I say?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-04, 15:57

It's about as close as I could find to what you wanted