what is coming at MWSF???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
what is coming at MWSF???
Page 15 of 19 First Previous 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-09, 01:56

Runner91786 you definitely need to put your tin foil hat on man! Steve's RDF is affecting you every day of the year by the looks of things.

Of course, Apple does not suck... But they are not known for giving a shit about their consumers particularly. Even though we love Apple, it would be wrong to say they truly love us as much as we love them...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
sweet

2006-01-09, 03:47

adobe just announced their lightbox software - if you read the product details - FAQ section they say the software is ready for the new mactels - but thier waiting for the the actually machines to ship before releasing the mactel version of the software - this is enough for me to be totally confinced the machines (powerbooks/ibooks?) will be announced at macworld and ship very shortly
JLL

2006-01-09, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet
adobe just announced their lightbox software - if you read the product details - FAQ section they say the software is ready for the new mactels - but thier waiting for the the actually machines to ship before releasing the mactel version of the software - this is enough for me to be totally confinced the machines (powerbooks/ibooks?) will be announced at macworld and ship very shortly
That's just because Adobe is using Xcode and they just don't want to click the 'Intel' button when compiling until the Intel Macs are out there. Almost any app written using Xcode is 'ready for Intel'. It doesn't mean that they know anything.

- No matter where you go, there you are.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 08:20

Well you hope they would know more then we do.

Come on leak, big leak today....Come on!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-09, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
That's just because Adobe is using Xcode and they just don't want to click the 'Intel' button when compiling until the Intel Macs are out there. Almost any app written using Xcode is 'ready for Intel'. It doesn't mean that they know anything.
I would change that to "Almost any app written using Xcode is almost 'ready for Intel'." There's still testing to do, to make sure you didn't accidentally use platform specific stuff in your code. The good news is, at least I think this is the case, that "platform specific" pretty much means hard-coding the bits, rather than specifying a number and letter the computer figure out which bits are what. Except AltiVec code won't run on Mactels.

I think Xcode has an option to auto-vectorize code, but that won't help you if you've already spent time doing it be hand, nor will it help you if your algorithm actually relies on vectorized code. IIRC, those are the two areas that see the most benefit from a SIMD unit.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
JLL

2006-01-09, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I would change that to "Almost any app written using Xcode is almost 'ready for Intel'." There's still testing to do, to make sure you didn't accidentally use platform specific stuff in your code.
I though that one 'Almost' would be enough
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-09, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
I though that one 'Almost' would be enough
You're probably right. I was feeling anal when I wrote that, but it's passed now.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-09, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Well you hope they would know more then we do.

Come on leak, big leak today....Come on!

Jason Fox is on the case!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-01-09, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC

Jason Fox is on the case!
same with Joy of Tech

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-09, 11:12

I was wondering about something: if a new Mac mini comes out and it's all about TV/entertainment stuff, will it STILL be just a regular, everyday Mac also?

Thinking perhaps there may be several versions, maybe with the lowest one(s) not having these features?

I only ask because I actually think my Mom may be on the cusp of a switch. She's already got a really nice ViewSonic 19" display (it's CRT, but the screen itself is flat and gorgeous), so the Mac mini is definitely the model that makes sense for her (logistics and price).

Or do we think this "media Mac" will be a whole new design, and the Mac minis continue on, as is (but with Intel processors, of course).

We've assumed all along that the Mac mini BECOMES this entertainment/media Mac. But maybe it's a brand new design (low, wide and flat...to better sit in the spaces people put their TV components)?
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-01-09, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
We've assumed all along that the Mac mini BECOMES this entertainment/media Mac. But maybe it's a brand new design (low, wide and flat...to better sit in the spaces people put their TV components)?
that is very reasonable pscates! it wouldn't make much sense really to use the current form factor mac mini as a media hub! i think we're thinking xscale formfactor here, just a lil bit thinner! but how would you implement an iPod Dock then?
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-01-09, 11:35

personally i think they should keep the mini a mini and have this be a new item...some people need just a simple, elegant, simple computer...do you want to add a 100 bucks or whatever to make it a media mini and then kill the 499 model??

i don't know, seems nice to have the low model and then try and switch them to the better model...works for cars and such...

unless they can offer all that at a 499 price point...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-09, 11:43

That was exactly what I was getting at...my Mom isn't going to use the TV/entertainment stuff, so I was concerned that the mini line would all have that and jump up in price.

That $499 is REALLY attractive, so - at the very least - there would be that "pure Mac" type of model remaining, for those who just want a basic computer without all the extras.

IF, however, they can do all that other stuff and still keep it at $499, then that's cool.

But I still think it'll be s eparate line, if anything.

I do think the Mac mini will get updated with Intel. And I do think there might be a new separate model altogether.

And I still think the displays get a revamp of some sort.
Roland

2006-01-09, 13:09

yay, one day left!

I still hope the iBook rumors are true, but also hope that they'll not be too cheap. I'd rather
spent a bit more and get a nice performance.

If they can sell an iMac with a 1.9 GHZ G5, Superdrive, 17 inch screen, 160 GB, Mouse + Keyboard and a Remote for 1299. I hope see a powerful iBook/Powerbook for about the same price
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 13:18

I just tried a Cupertino Mind-Meld with Teh Steve but he managed to block most of my signals. Luckily, I did find out that Apple has bought a company and will announce it tomorrow. I didn't find out which company but I'm confident in saying that it is a either a tech or content creation company. And it's not Adobe.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 13:20

I have spent the last 6 weeks in rumor detox and have come to grips with my addiction...LOL...I am very happy going into tomorrow without any expectations and just a desire to be surprised.

Although I will still keep my title until at least Wednesday...

Mile 1
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-09, 13:23

@ SKDMC & curiousuburb:

Great findings!

I believe it's customary to award a monkey in such cases:
¡Damned!

2006-01-09, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Luckily, I did find out that Apple has bought a company and will announce it tomorrow. I didn't find out which company but I'm confident in saying that it is a either a tech or content creation company. And it's not Adobe.
Freescale?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-09, 13:43

Elgato.

You heard it hear first.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-01-09, 13:45

Curiousuburb's Joytech pic reminds me of the joyfull artist renditions of Tora-Bora caves!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-01-09 at 13:55.
¡Damned!

2006-01-09, 13:55

Quote:
Elgato.

You heard it hear first.
Well, that would certainly make some sense, since they nabbed the CEO a while ago. Hmm. I'm not at all familiar with Elgato's 'ease of use'...how does it compare to someone like TiVo?

[edit]: OK. You've got my curiousity piqued. From MacWorld 10.18.05:

Quote:
Geier previously worked for Apple as the Senior Director Business Development, a position he left in 2003. Geier was responsible for overseeing the acquisition and integration of German-based Emagic — makers of Apple’s pro-level Logic Pro audio application.
Double Hmm.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2006-01-09 at 14:02.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-09, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Well, that would certainly make some sense, since they nabbed the CEO a while ago. Hmm. I'm not at all familiar with Elgato's 'ease of use'...how does it compare to someone like TiVo?
I think we can trust Apple to have covered that. My question is this: can you stealth-buy a company? Isn't there a whole merger process that's complex and public and weeks long?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-09, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
I think we can trust Apple to have covered that. My question is this: can you stealth-buy a company? Isn't there a whole merger process that's complex and public and weeks long?
*IANAL*
Only if the company being bought is public. Otherwise it's just one company making a transaction with another.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-09, 14:20

Ah. Well, in that case, I could see it happening. However, what could also be interesting is this: What if they set up some sort of holding company that would buy out an indie label, and make it a label that revolves completely around iTunes sales? It'd be a sort of end-run around the RIAA, a great deal for the bands, and a way to beat the Apple Records thing, right?

Yeah, longshot, but hey, Steve Jobs isn't known for predictability.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 14:20

Quote:
Elgato.

You heard it hear first.

If 2004 was the Year of the Laptop and 2005 was The Year of HD, what'll 2006 be?

The year Steve decided TV isn't awful?

Last edited by InactionMan : 2006-01-09 at 14:43.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 14:35

TV is still awful, that's why only the best of the best will be on iTunes

Yeah, you know all that stuff about the iBoombox and the Media mini might just be the same thing. Just everyone is getting there cross-hairs mixed up. Kinda like last year were the shuffle was suppose to be more like the Nano?

So we got a item separate from both the iPod line and Mac line, but is based on OSX, yet it is closer to the iPods in design.

Jeeze, 2:30 and no leaks, not even a banner unfolded early...the Safari leaks more then this...

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-01-09, 14:37

I still don't understand that most of the products in the Applestore (like ibooks etc.) still are set for delivery within 24 hours...

Normally there would be some updates on product availability before a Keynote?

Any ideas, guys?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-01-09, 14:37

Actually I still think we need to see the year of HD, so 2006 could be the year of HD (try again). And it could also be the new year of the laptop because Apple will have nice new ones, and probably sell more of them than in 2004.

But yeah. TV sound more like the hot potato these days.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-09, 14:46

You know, the more I read this lot, I hope it's not all true...it's not computing anymore, it's consumer electronics. Apple as the new Sony...?
AppleCello

2006-01-09, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
You know, the more I read this lot, I hope it's not all true...it's not computing anymore, it's consumer electronics. Apple as the new Sony...?
Its called covergence. Computers haven't lost anything. its about integrating the technology. why should the computer be an island? It needs to be a part of the electronics eco-system in a house, not some stand-alone workstation.