User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Mactel Camino PDF Problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mactel Camino PDF Problems
Mac Donald

2006-04-23, 18:58

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but are others having problems with Intel Macs and getting pdf's to open inside of Camino via plugin and not just having them download.. I have installed, and reinstalled, and reinstalled, millions of times the pdf plugin for Camino that's recommended, definitely the latest version to the internet plug-ins folder in my library (it is the only plugin in that folder by the way) and just CANNOT get it to work. Is it not universal or someting? Anyone? The pdf plugins work fine in Firefox and Safari -- Quicktime and flash also work fine in Camino. This is driving me crazy..... Can anyone give me any idea what I am doing wrong?

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-23, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald
pdf's
An apostrophe should never be used to pluralize.

Quote:
I have installed, and reinstalled, and reinstalled, millions of times the pdf plugin for Camino that's recommended
What plugin?

I'm moving this to Genius Bar.
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-04-24, 03:15

I think he mean this PDF plugin.
(It is great, much better then the one in safari)

That plugin is not yet universal, so it will not run on your Intel mac unless you open Camino in Rosetta. Strange though that it worked in Safari.

And if you have Adobe Acrobat or Quicktime as the default for your PDF viewing, it wont run either.

It works fine on my PowerBook (not intel), so I would have to say it is because it is not universal.

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.
Mac Donald

2006-04-24, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
An apostrophe should never be used to pluralize.
WRONG. Apostrophe's to pluralize abbreviations is fine. PDFs is incorrect -- it's PDF's. Sorry.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-24, 12:56

Quote:
WRONG. Apostrophe's to pluralize abbreviations is fine. PDFs is incorrect -- it's PDF's. Sorry.
Apostrophe's what?
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-24, 12:59

Quote:
WRONG. Apostrophe's
Wtf mate.

Quote:
to pluralize abbreviations is fine.
Right.

Quote:
PDFs is incorrect -- it's PDF's. Sorry.
Wrong. PDF is an acronym, not an abbreviation. So it's wrong.

CD's, PDF's, PC's: all wrong.

Blvd.'s, dept.'s, quot.'s: arguably right.
Mac Donald

2006-04-24, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Apostrophe's what?
Got me.
Mac Donald

2006-04-24, 14:42

Quote:
Wrong. PDF is an acronym, not an abbreviation. So it's wrong.

CD's, PDF's, PC's: all wrong.

Blvd.'s, dept.'s, quot.'s: arguably right.
I disagree -- standard convention is when pluralizing those, you use an apostrophe. CDs is not used as much as CD's. CD's, PC's, PDF's are right in my opinion. And they are not acronyms, they are abbreviations. An acronym is Radar -- it is prounounced as a word, but each letter in fact stands for something. PDF is an abbreviation for portable document format (not sure). CD is an abbreviation for Compact Disk.

As to the latter Blvd.s is definitely wrong. Blvd.'s is right.

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-24, 14:44

Quote:
I disagree -- standard convention is when pluralizing those, you use an apostrophe. CDs is not used as much as CD's. CD's, PC's, PDF's are right in my opinion. And they are not acronyms, they are abbreviations.
Er, yes, they're acronyms. You mean initialisms.
Mac Donald

2006-04-24, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Er, yes, they're acronyms. You mean initialisms.

From Dictionary.com:

Quote:
Abbreviation. . . .. 2. A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States Marine Corps.
PDF for portable document format (again not sure it's format) just like USMC for United States Marine Corps.

An initialism is a type of abbreviation.

Quote:
Initialism. . . . An abbreviation consisting of the first letter or letters of words in a phrase (for example, IRS for Internal Revenue Service), syllables or components of a word (TNT for trinitrotoluene), or a combination of words and syllables (ESP for extrasensory perception) and pronounced by spelling out the letters one by one rather than as a solid word.
PDF, CD, etc. are not acronyms.

Quote:
Acronym. . . . A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
(FYI: WAC is pronounced WACK, not W-A-C.)

From somewhere else on the internet, which ultimately agrees with chucker.

Quote:
Some grammar books (not all) claim that apostrophes cannot be used in any plurals. This is considered an outdated view by many. In the 4 examples above, the apostrophes assist the reader and are acceptable. However, the plural of a normal-looking abbreviation should be shown by adding a small "s" without an apostrophe.
This is all about individual preference and usage -- the most important thing is to be consistent in an individual work of writing (I write for a living -- lawyering). The 1990s is considered by some to be correct, but I would use the 1990's, and that is MUCH more common.

Anyway, this is not exactly the most interesting argument. I guess no one else is having problems with PDF's in Camino on Mactels?????

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-24, 16:31

Quote:
I guess no one else is having problems with PDF's in Camino on Mactels?????
PDF's what?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-24, 21:37

Quote:
Got me.
I just thought it was ironic.

Sorry I have no idea how to help you because I don't use Camino, nor own a MacIntel (yet).
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-25, 14:10

I must confess to be using apostrophes when pluralising abbreviations like PDF's. My English grammar skills are more related to sheer experience rather than paying attention in English class. But it still sounds right to me, however, I probably wouldn't use it for a word that wasn't abbreviated.

"PDFs" just doesn't look right to me.

But then again, "many trade relation's" looks outright stupid.

EDIT:
This is somewhat the wrong thread, I started reading in this one:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=15944&page=2