Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

next MB/MBP refresh coming this summer?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
next MB/MBP refresh coming this summer?
Page 12 of 26 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
popantique

2008-09-10, 18:55

Fucking a. There go my hopes and dreams of getting one of the new models.

I went by the apple store today and tinkered around a bit with all the laptops; MBA, MB and MBP... The MBA is by far the sexiest looking machine, and the regular MB is pretty dull. It bears way too much resemblance to the iBook my mom has now, or, for that matter, the iBook my sister had like six years ago. The MBP is fairly sleek and professional looking but at this point I don't think I want to sink that much into a new computer that will be outdated within a matter of weeks. (I know it seems like I'm fixating on appearances, but it's hard to really gauge what's inside a computer and how it'll work for you when you're only dicking around for a couple minutes with whatever apps are preinstalled on the floor models.)

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-15, 12:38

Citigroup says new Macbooks are en route to stores already. Word is that they are cheaper and slimmer.

Any bets on tomorrow being the day?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-15, 12:43

That'd be funny considering today is the last day for the free iPod back to school deal.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-15, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
That'd be funny considering today is the last day for the free iPod back to school deal.
I'd be perfect timing so the wouldn't need to cut the promo short. But that wouldn't stop them - they've refreshed in the middle of a promo and just excluded new models.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2008-09-15, 14:14

Seems odd that they'd be shipping new models to stores today when everything that I've read says October 14th for updates. Seems way early to be shipping new models. Someone is wrong here.

Come waste your time with me

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-15, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'd be perfect timing so the wouldn't need to cut the promo short. But that wouldn't stop them - they've refreshed in the middle of a promo and just excluded new models.
They've excluded new models of iPods (they did this year). I don't think they've ever made people buy older Macs, but I could be wrong.

I'm so excited. I'm not buying any of them, of course, but I'm excited for everyone who is. And refreshing the entire notebook line at once (which is what seems to be happening) is rather unprecedented.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-15, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
Seems odd that they'd be shipping new models to stores today when everything that I've read says October 14th for updates. Seems way early to be shipping new models. Someone is wrong here.
Maybe Apple decided to move the date forward since the 10/14 date was leaked? Either that, or these shipments (if they exist) are going to Apple warehouses so they can stockpile inventory for the 10/14 announcement? Maybe they'll release during Apple Expo Pairs (even though they won't be there)?

Edna Crabtree

2008-09-15, 18:25

Whether tomorrow, next next Tuesday, or Oct14, I'm ready to buy on day 0.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-15, 18:30

I'll be stunned if it's tomorrow. The new iPods will surely have more than one week on the homepage, for their "moment in the spotlight".

Hell, they had the iPhone SDK thing on the homepage for four months it seemed...

I think they'll just stockpile them in warehouses, getting a healthy supply built up and ready to ship (knowing that the demand and interest will be off the charts).

Of course, now that I've said this they're update them tomorrow...

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-15, 19:37

Has Apple ever unveiled a new laptop design without a town hall or keynote presentation?

I can understand a speed bump, but to simply feature it on the home page seems kind of lame. I would think new MB's command more press and excitement than new iPods.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-15, 20:12

They do (will), and that's why nothing will happen tomorrow.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2008-09-15, 21:11

Good point, Paul.

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-09-15, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Has Apple ever unveiled a new laptop design without a town hall or keynote presentation?
They did it when they released the original MacBook back in 2006, and that was way bigger than a case redesign.

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-09-16, 05:34

Updating the entire line though I think calls for an event. I hope I'm wrong...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-16, 06:47

I don't care how they do it, as long as they do it ASAP!!!!!

snookie

2008-09-16, 12:43

Didn't Apple tell retailers some time before the 3Gs was released that if they wanted to continue selling 1st generation iPhones that they should only order/stock three weeks worth?

Is there a possibility that they would do the same thing for the rumored new MB, MBP?

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-16, 22:07

I hope the entry level MB has a SuperDrive.

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-09-17, 04:47

Im now thinking of buying the entry level MacBook if nothing is here by October 15th, then upgrading to the new model (or MBP) when they are announced and selling hopefully for little loss.

In other news, Belfast Apple Store opens Saturday so I can go play. A release yesterday would have been perfect.

zippy
Veteran Member

2008-09-17, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Updating the entire line though I think calls for an event. I hope I'm wrong...
I agree, but it better be good. Many of the media were in the WTF?? camp after the iPod event, and it received less coverage in the non-tech press. If they string too many of those kind of press events together, they will lose a bit of their luster and consequently - free advertising.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-17, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I hope the entry level MB has a SuperDrive.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

Bill M

2008-09-17, 23:11

What do you guys think about this at tuaw.com?

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/17/rumor...w-macbook-pro/

Retailer jumped the gun? Looks real, no?

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-09-17, 23:29

I like the look but, to me, they look more like computerized mock-ups than actual photos.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-18, 00:06

I don't think it's true at all. MacRumors has an article about it., including comparison pics of an existing MacBook Pro promo shot and how this new one is quite similar (even using the exact screenshot/app demo, which Apple rarely does in version to version...anytime a new Mac design comes out, there are usually new screenshots and "in use" photos accompanying the release.

I can't recall - going from the iMac G4 to the G5, or even the iMac G5 to the Intel iMac - where they'd use the same screenshot.

I could buy this "leak" a lot more if it was a different "action" shot (Aperture or whatever app that is, with the same tools, photo, etc.).

In fact, here's my take on it:

I started with the same existing Apple promo shot. I erased the latch and infrared port, thinned the bottom some, removed the MacBook Pro nameplate at the bottom of the display, but a black "frame" around the display, lowered top of display, darkened and desaturated the entire image (basically everything that the "leaked" image seems to reflect).

A mere two minutes and change in Photoshop, not even trying (a beverage in one hand, and halfway watching TV at the same time). I think it's a fake. A very easy fake to create as you can see, especially if someone wanted to take a whole 20-30 minutes to really tweak and hone it all.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-18, 01:29

It maybe a fake, but I honestly think that maybe as far as Apple does with the next design. IMO there isn't much that needs to be changed.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-18, 10:32

Well, it's really down to cosmetics at this point, right? They can't really get any bigger (I don't think Apple will go beyond 17"), and they're surely not going to sacrifice performance and power (these are their "pro" notebooks, after all) in a quest to get a "half-inch thin notebook" that nobody's asking for (so the "getting thinner" thing is certainly limited).

At this point, it's pretty much down to materials and outside design. It's distilled down to such a sleek, clean design (and I can't imagine Apple suddenly adding curves, raised panels, doors and latches, etc.), so yeah...what else can you do with a smooth, sleek and already-thin rectangle?

I wonder.

Yes, if they go with the MacBook-style latch (or lack of latch), that would clean up the front. As would putting the little round receiver behind the black glass (or however the iMac hides it). I do think that the new MacBook Pro will get the individual keys, like it or not, that are found on the MacBook and MacBook Air (illuminated, of course). As for the black frame around the display, I'm not sure on that...

I'd still love to see the pro notebooks (and the towers and Cinema Displays, for that matter) go to black aluminum (like the iPods), or a very dark charcoal or graphite grey, and let the MacBook move to the lighter iMac/Mac mini light silver look. Give that whole "white glossy plastic" thing a rest, after six-plus years...

That way everything is aluminum and looks snazzy and "professional", across the line. Light silver is the new white plastic, and dark or black aluminum is the new "pro look". I can't imagine anyone truly having a problem with that, especially once they saw it.

Look at the iPod classic or the black and silver iPod nanos...those look really nice together.

This look, applied to the Macs, would be nice. There is precedent, after all. We know that Apple uses black aluminum already, and enjoys some success with it.

¡Damned!

2008-09-18, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'd still love to see the pro notebooks (and the towers and Cinema Displays, for that matter) go to black aluminum (like the iPods), or a very dark charcoal or graphite grey...
I'd love that too.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-18, 11:13

I think it's time, even if it's only from a "visual interest" standpoint. If you include the TiBook, Apple's been wearing out that "light silver" look for, what, seven-plus years now? The aluminum kicked in with the new PowerBooks in January 2002, followed by the G5 towers in the summer of 2003. And the Cinema Displays sometime after that. So even at the latest (mid-2003), that's a solid five years with the same look/covering across numerous revisions and updates.

Even if they kept the same tower and Cinema Display design (they certainly look nice and crisp) and simply covered them in dark or black aluminum, that alone would be something nice and different to look at, and a pleasant, interesting change to enjoy (not to mention opening up some great possibilities for new product "glamour" shots and marketing slogans/taglines galore ("Back in black", "Turn to the dark side", "Black. It is beautiful", etc.)!

I guess I just get bored with the same look after 5-7 years...

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-18, 13:12

What about see-through plastic? Has that look come back around yet?

tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-09-18, 13:24

What about brushed translucent aluminum?

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-18, 13:46

Leather!

Yes, it's time.