AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Brad's AN Minecraft Texture Pack

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Brad's AN Minecraft Texture Pack
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-04, 00:43

Announcement! I have a custom texture pack to share. Some of the guys on the server know I've been testing this off and on today. I've taken the original Minecraft textures, spliced them with the Painterly, Quandary, and Coterie Craft packs (and small bits of others), and manually edited many bits here and there to my liking. Basically, I'm trying to retain the "spirit" of the original Minecraft theme while improving upon it in select ways, as opposed to many texture packs that try replacing it with a whole new style.

Currently fully compatible with Minecraft 1.16.

For example, glowstone is now actually a light-colored stone. Cobblestone and brick are less contrasty. Signs have a lighter background to make text more legible. Glass is clear instead of scratchy. And so on. Here are some screenshots:

Download link: AppleNovaBradTextures.zip

When you download that file, do not unzip it. If your browser opened and unzipped it for you, turn that off ("Open 'safe' files" is a security risk anyway) and try again. Put the zip file in /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/minecraft/resourcepacks/ and restart Minecraft. On the main menu, choose "Mods and Texture Packs" and select it. Done!

Note that as of Minecraft 1.6.1, the folder is called resourcepacks, not texturepacks.

I may continue tweaking some of the textures, and I'll probably just quietly update this post when I do. Thoughts good, bad, or indifferent?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-04, 00:58

The renderings I see here look far less ugly than much of the earlier stuff I've seen. I think it's a terrific start and that you're only going to make it nicer. I think the effort you've put into this is worth it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-04, 01:40

The screens look nice, feels much more professional. Now I can't wait to try out the pack tomorrow after work...

Thanks as always!
¡Damned!

2011-01-04, 01:43

Oooh. This is very nice. The cobblestone looks so much better. Matches the stone and lightens things up a bit. And a real moon! Super awesome work Mr. President.

Are the sounds the same? I don't know if it's just the pleasant visuals or what, but the grass just feels softer. And the temple looks all sorts of awesome with "clear" glass. Gah! I was going to bed now too!

Maybe I'll wait 'til tomorrow. It'll be that much nicer to start fresh with the world looking so much nicer.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-04, 01:44

I love the captures you've taken. Certainly makes it more appealing to join the club.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-01-04, 04:55

Signed on just to try the new pack. I like!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-04, 08:42

Anyone who loves Zelda as much as Brad is certain to have an affinity for pleasant visuals - you guys are the beneficiaries of his OCD

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-04, 09:08

Funnily enough, my first aborted attempt at making a texture pack was in the style of Zelda: A Link to the Part before I realized that those sprites wouldn't translate well to this 3D medium.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bonn89

2011-01-04, 16:28

My house looks awesome with that texture pack, so I'm a fan.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-12, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Announcement! I have a custom texture pack to share. Some of the guys on the server know I've been testing this off and on today. I've taken the original Minecraft textures, spliced them with the Painterly and Quandary packs (and maybe small bits of others), and manually edited many bits here and there to my liking. Basically, I'm trying to retain the "spirit" of the original Minecraft theme while improving upon it in select ways, as opposed to many texture packs that try replacing it with a whole new style.

For example, glowstone is now actually a light-colored stone. Cobblestone and brick are less contrasty. Signs have a lighter background to make text more legible. Glass is clear instead of scratchy. And so on. Here are some screenshots:

Download link: AppleNovaBradTextures.zip

When you download that file, do not unzip it. If your browser opened and unzipped it for you, turn that off ("Open 'safe' files" is a security risk anyway) and try again. Put the zip file in /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/minecraft/texturepacks/ and restart Minecraft. On the main menu, choose "Mods and Texture Packs" and select it. Done!

I may continue tweaking some of the textures, and I'll probably just quietly update this post when I do. Thoughts good, bad, or indifferent?
Would you please add this info to the first post? Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-12, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Would you please add this info to the first post? Thanks.
A brief summary is already there, linking back to that more detailed post. I didn't want to make the first post multiple screens of text long.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-12, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
A brief summary is already there, linking back to that more detailed post. I didn't want to make the first post multiple screens of text long.
I should have been more specific, I really wanted the file linked to from the OP. I got tired of my MBP dropping my connection so I moved to Beast and installed Minecraft on there. Then I needed to find the texture pack and this thread was my easy way. Oh well, thanks.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-13, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I should have been more specific, I really wanted the file linked to from the OP. I got tired of my MBP dropping my connection so I moved to Beast and installed Minecraft on there. Then I needed to find the texture pack and this thread was my easy way. Oh well, thanks.
Ah! I understand now. Post edited.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-15, 15:36

Texture pack updated!

Beside adding support for the new 1.2 items and blocks, I've also made a few other minor tweaks. Since paintings now work properly in SMP, I'm also replacing some of the crappy built-in paintings with greater works of art.

AppleNovaBradTextures.zip

Remember: Don't unzip this file! Drop it in ~/L/AS/m/texturepacks/ directly as-is.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-16, 19:38

I just updated the texture pack. I increased the paintings resolution and fixed/tweaked various minor bits.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-23, 00:24

Texture pack updated! Go grab it from the link in the first post, else the new items will be invisible to you.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 18:11

I've been slackin' and haven't gotten around to officially adding the "cookie" sprite to my texture pack, but fortunately for me cookies in MC are exceedingly rare. I have a few other tweaks to apply too; so, hopefully I'll be updating this tonight.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 20:21

I'm looking forward to the update.

What other changes are in the works?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 22:42

Not much. Mostly picking up a few tweaks I liked from Painterly, such as the armor icons (don't know why I originally used the ones I did) and the wolf texture with the more obvious bandana to indicate ownership.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-11, 00:37

Texture pack updated! Go grab it from the link in the first post and replace the version you have with it.

My texture pack now "properly" supports beta 1.4. Previously, elusive cookies would be invisible. Now they're visible, but just as elusive. I also rolled in a few other minor texture tweaks along the way.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-11, 02:11

Ducks look duckier!
arteggio

2011-04-11, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Ducks look duckier!
Did the chickens switch species?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-11, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Did the chickens switch species?
I did an informal poll in-game asking people if they thought of the "bird" mob as a chicken or duck. 5 out of 5 said "duck". The ducks have it!

arteggio

2011-04-11, 08:21

Ah, in that case, cool! Hadn't thought about skinning animals to that degree.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-11, 08:22

Wait... I know they all lay eggs but do they quack now?? Brad, do we have mother clucking ducks???!!!

Last edited by drewprops : 2011-04-11 at 16:24. Reason: emPHASSSis
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-11, 14:21

Wait... whaaat? Who eats duck eggs? Is this a Canadian thing?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-11, 14:23

I love the new leather armor icons. Thx Brad!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-11, 14:58

The leather bar is gonna look really interesting...Not often that one sees bomber jackets in leather bars, LOL
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-11, 15:25

I dress like Indiana Jones in leather bars all the time.*

*) This is a lie
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-28, 23:40

Texture pack updated for beta 1.5! Go grab it from the link in the first post and replace the version you have with it.