Help! iPad vs old iMac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help! iPad vs old iMac!
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2012-04-11, 12:18

Hey novians, just trying to crowd source some opinions here

iPad owners: what's your favorite thing(s) about using an iPad?

I have a 2 year old iMac that I use primarily for watching Netflix, reading blogs, storing pictures, and occasionally programming. I got a great offer for it and want to sell it and buy an iPad. Crazy? Maybe, but that's why I'm here. I need to know if the trade offs are worth it, and I think they are. My girlfriend is less convince and has me doubting though. Except for the programming, yes, the iPad can do everything the Mac can do to some degree, but where does it really shine? Is my question. Besides portability, what can I really do on an iPad that I can't do on the iMac? Got any other advice for this trade off?

(FYI, the leftover money would go into savings and eventually cover a new computer, likely a MacBook air this fall / Xmas. I also have use of a MBP for work when I really need a real computer).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-04-11, 12:29

Unless you use a wireless keyboard the iPad is useless for serious writing. Other than that I see no downsides to using an iPad over an older machine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-11, 12:30

I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you have access to a MacBook Pro at work for "real work" (and you're thinking of a MacBook Air this fall), why not? The portability, battery life and to do the things you mention (minus the programming, although is that a total lost cause? I don't know, I'm asking).

Do it.

You won't get any more money down the road for your two-year-old iMac, especially once these newer models hit this year.

There are days where I wish a) I didn't do what I did, or b) that there was an iPad version of Illustrator (or something damn near close enough) because I'd probably chuck the Mac. At least for a while, in the name of "noble experiment".

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-04-11, 12:34

I have a MBP that I use for work, but other then that, I never use it at home. I have a iPad 2 that, when I'm at home, I use for email, web, and all that basic stuff. If I didn't need a computer for work, I'd have no problem using only an iPad.

The iPad is great because you can use it on the couch or take it on the go. Like 'scates said, the battery life is a huge plus. I probably only charge it every 3-4 days, if that, and I use it every night when I'm at home after work. It makes for a great machine while laying in bed too just doing casual stuff.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey