User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Did anyone notice the woman from microsoft...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Did anyone notice the woman from microsoft...
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
datapusher

2005-06-06, 21:25

was a little autistic/drunk?
the whole microsoft presentation during the keynote was uncomfortable because i kept waiting for her to collapse or to go HONK!
shatteringglass

2005-06-06, 22:19

She looked incredibly nervous. She didn't seem to be a great rep. for MS. Maybe they could have had someone else. Didn't Kevin Browne leave or something?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-06, 23:01

I believe she also did the MS spokeperson thing a keynote or two ago. I recall similar comments were made at that time. (For the record, I haven't watched the WWDC keynote yet.)
El Guardo

Send a message via AIM to El Guardo Send a message via MSN to El Guardo Send a message via Yahoo to El Guardo  
2005-06-06, 23:24

The one thing that stood out was the 'corporatization' of her speech. All the usual puffery was included, using phrases that in reality mean little and only served to show once again that Microsoft didn't know the audience is was trying to communicate with.
darshu

2005-06-06, 23:36

Roz has shown up at least twice before I recall, and yeah she always seems to be uncomfortable, nervous, and slightly strange.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-06-06, 23:46

How would you feel getting up there on an essentially world stage?

I'm very comfortable in most environments, but damn! That would be heavy. Did you hear the freaky, nervous laughter that the Intel CEO emitted after mentioning the burning bunny-man video?

She did great. That's a tough gig.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-06, 23:54

Yeah, she's been at a few WWDC Keynotes in the past. I think she commented on that too, somehow.

I'm just angry that they pushed back MSN Messenger 5 for Mac AGAIN!! End of summer? Bah!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-06-07, 00:04

They should have had more of Mathematica dude, if possible. I know he already shows up at a ton of keynotes, but he's really cool, even though he did seem a bit nervous.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-07, 00:10

When you have to lie to people on stage or your puppy dies, you'd be nervous to

At lease MSN Messenger 5 is coming out..I don't think Yahoo updated anything fot the MAC since 1999.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-06-07, 00:10

Theo Grey - Co-Founder of Mathmatica.
He was great. Nervousness works for him.
shatteringglass

2005-06-07, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Did you hear the freaky, nervous laughter that the Intel CEO emitted after mentioning the burning bunny-man video?
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who heard that. I didn't know a person, or any animal for that matter, that could emit such a sound.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-07, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
At lease MSN Messenger 5 is coming out..I don't think Yahoo updated anything fot the MAC since 1999.
And apparently won't... Yahoo has made it clear that they no longer support the Mac platform, and will not be releasing any more updates to Yahoo! Messenger (and related programs) for Mac.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-07, 06:53

Yet the My Yahoo! widget is one of the top 10 downloads...

Wonder if this intel thing will change there minds..or at lease someone will try and port the "New Yahoo Messenger" to OS X.
dangelovich

Send a message via AIM to dangelovich  
2005-06-10, 05:18

There was a lot of pressure on her...
- She works for a company that a significant portion of the audience dislike
- She had to speak in front of more people than she is probably used to speaking in front of
- She would be under pressure from Microsoft to lie through her teeth about the future, when Microsoft would be very concerned about what this Intel switch is going to do
- Right before she got up on stage, someone told her that her dog had been run over

OK, I made the last one up...

I would have liked to see Bill or Steve Ballmer get up and do the "we will support Apple" speech...

...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-10, 08:13

Bill Gates already did... Macworld Boston, 1997. People actually BOOED him when he appeared on the big screen (and yes, he did appear on a big screen, it wasn't just a dramatization from Pirates of Silicon Valley). I have the movie file of that and it's kind of eerie to watch.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-06-10, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Theo Grey - Co-Founder of Mathmatica.
He was great. Nervousness works for him.
He's like a sort of hero nerd.
I had so much fun listening to him.
I would love to see more of his presentations.
He reminded me of a totally mad physicist who used to run my Physics 'A' level course. He was kind of a maverick who had spent loads of time working on really 'out-there' cutting edge stuff for years and then must have burnt out, or decided to take it easy...
We spent 0 time on the syllabus and loads talking about Quantum physics and all kinds of wierd and whacky stuff.
We all still got great results though!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-10, 11:02

I'd cut her some slack. There's an asymmetry to her face and bit of muffling to her speech that seems to suggest she might have been in a car accident or been born with some mild condition. I doubt most of us would be so determined to overcome that to the extent she has.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-10, 11:08

bells palsy and a stroke are other conditions..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-10, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstensla
shheariously shhtoop thishhh...itshh mean.
Not cool at all, sstensla.

-10 points
sstensla

2005-06-10, 16:23

You're right, it was rude...This post certainly does nothing productive...perhaps you should eliminate it altogether.

Last edited by sstensla : 2005-06-10 at 21:39.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-10, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Yet the My Yahoo! widget is one of the top 10 downloads...
I wondered about that too, but I'm pretty sure it's a different division. I think the Yahoo! Messenger group makes their own decisions seperately from the other areas of the company.
JLL

2005-06-10, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who heard that. I didn't know a person, or any animal for that matter, that could emit such a sound.
He was sitting a couple of rows back from me - talk of the day (almost)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-06-10, 17:27

completely off-topic.... everytime I see the thread title, you know what runs through my mind?

"There once was a woman from Microsoft..."
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-06-10, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
Didn't Kevin Browne leave or something?
Kevin became head of the Xbox unit. Roz replaced him.

As for my personal opinion, no offense, but my first thought was "sheesh, she looks like a whore". Yes, I realize all the "talking in front of hundreds of people" "being under pressure from the company" "massive dislike by much of the audience" stuff. But I'm sorry; that's a major part of the job, and if she can't do that, she needs replacing.

Theo, on the other hand, excelled. Hilarious guy, no arrogance, good way to overcome nervousness.

Bruce deserves a kick somewhere unnamed for his "what took you so long" comment. Why was he invited again? I couldn't help but think of Gruber's Daring Fireball article about him.

I also somewhat surprisingly liked Otellini's appearance; it didn't seem staged. It seemed friendly, honest. (I don't know him well enough to truly judge that, I suppose.)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-10, 21:59

Wasn't Bruce's "What took you so long?" a friendly jibe back to Jobs that mirrored his comments when Photoshop was finally ported to OS X a few years ago?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
dangelovich

Send a message via AIM to dangelovich  
2005-06-10, 23:33

The Adobe CEO seemed to have a slight speech problem too...
He slurred a little...
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-10, 23:39

And Phil has moobs.

Are we done yet?
JLL

2005-06-10, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Wasn't Bruce's "What took you so long?" a friendly jibe back to Jobs that mirrored his comments when Photoshop was finally ported to OS X a few years ago?
We have a *** winner ***
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-11, 03:31

Well, somebody had to point it out.

(I thought it was a nice touch actually ... karma is good.)
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-06-11, 08:14

Yeah, most of them were horrible public speakers. Some of them literally couldn't speak while the others were pretty boring.

MS person was obviously the worst, he speech problem which could be for a number of reasons, so lets ignore that. She sounded so amazingly nervous which is kinda understandable. However, her speech sounded so rehearsed and not very fluid/natural at all.

Whatever causes her speech problem is fine, no judgments. However I can't imagine the whispers going around when people found out she was going to be doing a speech at the keynote.