User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple's True Motives...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's True Motives...
demon4354

2005-08-30, 22:53

Ok last night when I was browsing through all the x86 sites, I had a few thoughts on what Apple may really be trying to accomplish.

- Maybe with the x86 transition, they are really preparing to release OS X for sale with a few modifications down the road once the x86 transition is complete.... What if they were preparing something similar to the Darwine project so that Windows application could be natively run in OS X? By doing this, the biggest excuse that keeps people from converting would be knocked out while gaining another selling point over Windows.. OS X can run BOTH mac programs and Windows programs, while windows can only run Windows programs.And by also releasing the OS for sale on any computer most idealy around the time Vista ships, XP users seeking to upgrade would have no reason not to go Mac.

-The whole iPhone thing and iPod updates.. What if all these new announcments that are supposed to occur on the 7th tie everything together? The phone could have the 4gig flash instead of the mini while the rest of the line could get built in WiFi or Bluetooth, enabling phones to act as media servers off iPods and allow songs to be transferred over.

Yeah I know a few points seem kinda vague, but I just thought of all this 20 minutes ago . Please share your opinions on my theorys
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 01:50

Hey, Deamon4354. Welcome to AppleNova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon4354
- Maybe with the x86 transition, they are really preparing to release OS X for sale with a few modifications down the road once the x86 transition is complete.... What if they were preparing something similar to the Darwine project so that Windows application could be natively run in OS X? By doing this, the biggest excuse that keeps people from converting would be knocked out while gaining another selling point over Windows.. OS X can run BOTH mac programs and Windows programs, while windows can only run Windows programs.And by also releasing the OS for sale on any computer most idealy around the time Vista ships, XP users seeking to upgrade would have no reason not to go Mac.
Sorry, no. Apple is a hardware company. A vast majority of their profits come from hardware and they would not make it strictly selling software. The point can be made that people may still buy Apple hardware if OS X was available for sale for any generic Intel box...but who are we kidding?

This just wouldn't work, it's not a fiscally viable business plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon4354
-The whole iPhone thing and iPod updates.. What if all these new announcments that are supposed to occur on the 7th tie everything together? The phone could have the 4gig flash instead of the mini while the rest of the line could get built in WiFi or Bluetooth, enabling phones to act as media servers off iPods and allow songs to be transferred over.
Last I heard (and that's just unconfirmed rumors like everyone else is hearing now), the iPod Mini will go flash. A few problems with your WiFi/Bluetooth thing too; Bluetooth is way too slow and doesn't have nearly the bandwidth needed to become an effective solution for transferring files as large as iTMS AAC files. The problem with WiFi is battery life. People still complain that the iPod only gets 16 hours of battery life. Having a WiFi enabled iPod would suck the battery life right out of it. WiFi is power hungry.

One more suggestion if you don't mind...next time, post speculation and rumors threads in the Speculation and Rumors forum. More specifically, the thread already going about the September 7th event, or any of the several threads already going regarding the Intel switch.

Again, welcome to AppleNova, hope your stay is enjoyable.

Come waste your time with me
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-31, 03:17

When someone new joins, and immediately posts content that is already well under discussion in 3 or 4 different threads, then there is only one thing I can think about...

"There's a Troll in the dungeon!!!"

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
BenP

2005-08-31, 10:02

That's not fair, Gargoyle. I agree demon should have looked through the existing threads before making a new one but his post was in no way inflammatory or ill-natured.
Enki

2005-08-31, 10:27

Yes, definitely not trolldom, just a gratuitous newbie mistake.

Mandatory Newbie Training Flik
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-31, 10:37

what does being a troll have to do with inflammation or ill-nature?!?

A troll can also be someone that tries to fill a forum with threads all on the same topic. Demon4354's comments would have better contributed to one of the other iPhone, x86, intel threads.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-08-31, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I would have said nothing, except that plenty of trolls probably experience both...

Then I checked Google

6,990 hits for both... who'd a thunk it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-31, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
You see, this is where you can see that people misunderstand the definition of "troll."

Calling a person "a troll" (noun) is a variation on the original usage "to troll" (verb). The word's origin is from fishery, by which "trolling" is fishing by hanging bait out the back of a boat and just waiting for a bite. In the context of Internet forum usage, "trolling" is when a user leaves inflammatory comments (the bait) for other users (the fish) to attack or criticize (the bite).

That, as you can see, has nothing to do with the variety of trolls that live under bridges. However, as the verb became more widely used, it was picked up by "dumb@$$ n00bs" who never knew the origin nor understood the correct meaning and usage. They, in turn, abused it until it become the widely-accepted noun that it is today.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SledgeHammer

2005-08-31, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki

Thats a great video.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-31, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki

OK, Brad, this needs to be mandatory watching for all newcomers! I say put a plan into motion requiring all newbies to watch this video BEFORE gaining access to the sight!

Has this been discussed before?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-31, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Has this been discussed before?
Yes. Many times.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-08-31, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
A few problems with your WiFi/Bluetooth thing too; Bluetooth is way too slow and doesn't have nearly the bandwidth needed to become an effective solution for transferring files as large as iTMS AAC files. The problem with WiFi is battery life. People still complain that the iPod only gets 16 hours of battery life. Having a WiFi enabled iPod would suck the battery life right out of it. WiFi is power hungry
Just a thought... But what if it was "burst Wifi"... Not being on all the time, but checking periodically and only coming up to speed when files were transferred?
Batman

2005-09-01, 09:03

I see where this could end up - lets try and not scare off another new user this time.

Welcome to Applenova demon4354!

Last edited by Batman : 2005-09-01 at 09:04.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-01, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Just a thought... But what if it was "burst Wifi"... Not being on all the time, but checking periodically and only coming up to speed when files were transferred?
The thing is that WiFi is so power hungry that even just turning it on for a short period of time would probably be more detrimental to the battery life than most people would be okay with. Just using it for a short period of time would really drain the battery. I just don't think it's feasible.

However, now that I think of it, there are PDAs that are WiFi enabled, but they may have larger batteries to begin with and the WiFi doesn't have to compete with a spinning HDD for battery either. Maybe it can be done, but I just don't know how practical it is.

Come waste your time with me