Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Years abroad
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-10-17, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
I just like the idea of working at the Hague (not that I'm nearly good enough to get there).
Back in NYC, I worked with a with a smart, charismatic, young attorney who had clerked for a judge at the Hague. I told her that was really cool. But she thought my grass roots development work in the field in West Africa was much cooler. Everything depends on perspective.

Quote:
Yeah, staying away from litigation is probably a good idea (unless you're insanely ambitious).
At least in my case, staying away from litigation has nothing to do with ambition or lack thereof. My aversion to litigation is purely ideological. I prefer to build things in a transactional setting, rather than tear things apart in court litigation.

Quote:
In the unlikely event that I ever work in law, …
It's fascinating how many law school graduates don't become practicing attorneys, but nonetheless benefit from their legal education. It goes to show that legal concepts permeate every aspect of society. Just think of how many politicians and business leaders are lawyers by training!

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-10-17, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc
Congrats Escher for your bar exam.
Merci bien, cher compatriote!

Quote:
It's mandatory for a good lawyer to work with the latest Apple products.
Of course, the good lawyer has to find work first, before he can actually work with the latest Apple products.

Quote:
I think that the only real problems, is that your family is long away from you, but perhaps it's a good excuse for your family to do some nice trips.
Very true, Powerdoc, even though I am the one who travels most of the time. It appears that it is more important for me to visit the Old Continent than for my French and Swiss family to explore the New Continent.

Quote:
One [Australian] was teaching tennis in florida and seemed to be in great love with his french wife .
How could anyone not be in love with a French wife? The French are the best!

Quote:
The world tend to become smaller and that's a good thing.
Except for all the travelling involved. It costs a lot of time and money. I have a friend in San Francisco who wants to work, live, and date in the same ZIP code (code postal). Maybe that is good as well.

Quote:
The installer will not be happy that you revealed his secret : half swiss and half british
Has The Installer ever visited AN? I haven't even seen him at AI recently. It's only half a secret. Don't you remember his pictures from Zermatt?

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-10-17, 20:56

About the women's rights concern - I could just kick myself for not remembering what the issue was. (I think this was about 6 years ago.)

All I remember is that when I read about the controversy in the newspaper, I was appalled that the woman (women?) involved did not have a certain right under Canadian law, a right (whatever it was) that American women take for granted. (*kicks self a few more times for sucky memory* )

All I remember was that the issue was such a basic one, that I began to have major second-thoughts about my desire to live in Canada someday. I remember thinking, Geez, if they don't have *this* right, no telling what *other* rights they don't have.

I shouldn't have brought it up, I guess. I was just hoping I might be able to ring a mental bell, especially with a Canadian lawyer on hand.

Last edited by Windswept : 2004-10-18 at 12:49.
goldfish
47 Chromosomes

2004-10-18, 08:18

Quote:
So many Europeans seem to loathe America and Americans.
Maybe other Europeans will correct me, but in the UK at least, this is just plain wrong.

Most people have no beef whatsoever with American people, who are notoriously polite, generally friendly and often charming. Many Europeans intensely dislike your Government, but it would be foolish to equate the two. Bad things are done in the name of the USA. That doesn't mean that USA'nians are bad people. In my book at least.

Whether that's true the other way around is another question.... [Background]

Back on topic, I would strongly recommend a year abroad, but would point out that there's a bit of a difference in Australia between the metropolitan centres, particularly Melbourne and Sydney, and the boondocks. Melbourne in particular is more or less home to the '...middle-class liberal latte, baggy clothing, wish they were hippies, recycling etc...', replete with routine protests outside the City Centre Nike Store and Starbucks, and proliferation of organic food and vegetarian restaurants. Venture out into the country and it can rapidly become vastly more conservative, very quickly.

As for uni, it's a great experience if you're doing something you want to do, but if it feels like an obligation or a right of passage, you probably won't get much from it. I worked for a while and then got a degree doing something I was interested in a few years later, and was more committed to it, and got more from it as a consequence.

Simon

Last edited by goldfish : 2004-10-18 at 08:43. Reason: Background link added...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-10-18, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish
Most people have no beef whatsoever with American people, who are notoriously polite, generally friendly and often charming. Many Europeans intensely dislike your Government, but it would be foolish to equate the two. Bad things are done in the name of the USA. That doesn't mean that USA'nians are bad people. In my book at least.
That is very true.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-10-18, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish
Melbourne in particular is more or less home to the '...middle-class liberal latte, baggy clothing, wish they were hippies, recycling etc...', replete with routine protests outside the City Centre Nike Store and Starbucks, and proliferation of organic food and vegetarian restaurants. Venture out into the country and it can rapidly become vastly more conservative, very quickly.
I don't think that's entirely fair to Melbourne — land of football, VB, meat pies, and TISM. It's a big city — it's hardly surprising there are a few hippies. I'm sure Mac+ has something to say on the matter…

Anyway, it doesn't hold a candle to Canberra in terms of bourgeois pretension!

In the words of the immortal poets

"Queensland used to be the national joke
And Adelaide was full of S and M botty-spankers
Perth was full of crooked businessmen
And Sydney, still full of wankers"

Last edited by staph : 2004-10-18 at 09:10. Reason: who can resist the power of a TISM quote?
goldfish
47 Chromosomes

2004-10-18, 09:29

Quote:
For reasons too complicated to go into, I vaguely know the bloke who runs that site... top bloke, top band.

Simon

Last edited by goldfish : 2004-10-18 at 10:18.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-10-18, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
About the women's rights concern - I could just kick myself for not remembering what the issue was. (I think this was about 6 years ago.)

All I remember is that when I read about the controversy in the newspaper, I was appalled that the woman (women?) involved did not have a certain right under Canadian law, a right (whatever it was) that American women take for granted. (*kicks self a few more times for sucky memory* )

All I remember was that the issue was such a basic one, that I began to have major second-thoughts about my desire to live in Canada someday. I remember thinking, Geez, if they don't have *this* right, no telling what *other* rights they don't have.

I shouldn't have brought it up, I guess. I was just hoping I might be able to ring a mental bell, especially with a Canadian lawyer on hand.

Sorry Carol, nothing particular rings a bell regarding a basic right that American women enjoy that Canadians women do not.

There certainly have been legal cases here where women have argued - and courts have agreed - that certain Canadian laws are discriminatory, contrary to the equality rights clause of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the Canadian Constitution and where, as a result, these laws have been struck down. But that’s not to say, of course, that the courts have agreed, in each circumstance, that a given law is discriminatory. Discrimination can be a subtle thing sometimes, and there can be legitimate disagreements as to whether it exits in a given instance.

Meanwhile, as I understand it, women in the U.S. do not enjoy direct constitutional protection of equality rights, due to the failure of the ERA to pass. However, women in the U.S. might still enjoy some particular right that Canadian women do not. Constitutional rights do not express the totality of rights enjoyed in law, but rather are an expression of basic principles and minimum standards. Nothing prevents a legislative body granting particular rights over and above those required under the Constitution, and most laws do so. (Indeed, I believe that an argument used by opponents of ERA was that formal recognition of equality rights in the U.S. Constitution could actually diminish women’s rights – that “equality” would represent a lesser position for women considered against their current status. I don't buy it, but that was the argument that many - especially conservatives - made.)

In any case, there are plenty of laws in our countries - at both the federal level and the state/provincial level - and plenty of legal rights that flow from them that will differ to some lesser or greater extent. But I must admit that I can't think of anything fundamental that would cause you to remark in the way that you did.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2004-10-18 at 22:06.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-18, 20:48

Quote:
I don't think that's entirely fair to Melbourne — land of football, VB, meat pies, and TISM. It's a big city — it's hardly surprising there are a few hippies. I'm sure Mac+ has something to say on the matter…
I love Melbourne - in fact, when I've been overseas, I genuinely get a "buzz" just coming back - then again, maybe everybody loves coming back to their home town too.

Anyway, Melbourne has truly beautiful gardens, some "fascinating" architecture (especially in Federation Square), a wide variety of fashion stores (if you're interested), lots of pubs - "bourgeois and earthy - we have both styles" , plenty of live music and theatre (and musical theatre), as well as an diverse assortment of cultural events. For example: The International Festival, The Comedy Festival, Moomba, and, not to forget, The Lygon Street Festival - well this is just an eating frenzy really.

We also take pride in a rich sporting history: the AFL Grand final and Cricket at the "G" (Boxing Day Test, especially), the first F1 race of the year, the Melbourne Cup (horse race that stops the nation) and for tennis fans, the Australian Open. You can add the Moomba "Bird-Man" rally to that too.

For the gourmet/gourmand, we have a smorgasboard of international cuisine. Chinatown plus world class Greek and Italian restaurants in Lygon Street (as mentioned) and Nicholson Street come to mind.

I'm particularly proud of a top notch community-based radio station (thinking RRR here) - but that's me getting parochial.

There are also plenty of natural wonders for the "out-doorsy" type to visit: Grampians National Park, Dandenong Ranges, the Great Ocean Road, the Phillip Island penguins and some nice wineries as well - if that type of touristy stuff "floats your boat".

Oh yeah, we also have trams (which rocks!) and Luna Park (which doesn't actually). (Btw, the City Circle tram is a free ride! )

... stay tuned for part II ...

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-18, 20:51

... continued ...

But for me, it is simply the pace of the place - it can be busy, but not too frenetic a'la Sydney or New York (as I've heard) - and the diversity of its people. Take a walk down Brunswick Street, to see what I mean.

The range of produce and fresh fruit and veg is something that I'm grateful for too - if you do come down, you must visit the Queen Vic Market. It is an awesome place to shop when you're low on the $. Even better than that, though, the range and quality of the food is unbelievable!

Like any town, we probably do have our share of greenies and pretentious upper class wankers, but I think our distribution is not as concentrated as in some other Australian capitals. We are, I believe (from my experience), a very tolerant and multi-cultural community - despite what our Federal Government has done/is doing to suggest otherwise.

If anybody comes down, look us up - I'd be happy to have a beer and show you around.*
Quote:
Anyway, it doesn't hold a candle to Canberra in terms of bourgeois pretension!

"Queensland used to be the national joke
And Adelaide was full of S and M botty-spankers
Perth was full of crooked businessmen
And Sydney, still full of wankers"
Whilst on that topic, not that I slept with a girl who slept with a guy who slept with a girl who slept with a guy who slept with ... but I'm led to believe that I went to the school that some of the founding members went to ... ahhh, good ol' Catholic guilt and repression - see what it can do for you?

* Actually, better jump on that offer, as I'm off to China for three years in January ... but you can hold me to it in 2008!

twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-10-18, 21:41

You make Melbourne sound great. I had not particularly had it in mind for a visit, but now it is. Someday.

Two questions: What are you going to do in China?…and will you still post on AN?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-18, 22:18

Chinney Thanks for the reply. Melbourne *is* a great city and I suspect that the people would not be too dissimilar to Canadians. I lived with a Canadian from Oshawa (we both taught at the same school) and he is a great friend. Very heavily into Ultimate too btw (Is that a Canadian thing?) - represented Australia in the Worlds Championships this year!

As for the China thing. Long story - (I should post full details closer to when we leave) but a quick explanation: My wife has been appointed Deputy Head of our school's campus in Nanjing. The school sends six groups of Year 9 students from our Melbourne campuses over (one group at a time = about 60 kids) for a five week experiential learning program. I am no longer teaching at the school - having decided on a career change, so I'm going over simply in support.

Luckily, I will still be able to continue to study for my Masters in Human Factors online, though. I also intend to learn the language (neither of us speak Chinese) - in fact, I think I'll have more opportunity to do so than my wife. Two other items on my list are to get back to some martial arts training and work on producing music (keyboard and synthesizer related) resources for the classroom. This China adventure should serve as a renaissance of sorts I hope.

As for continuing to post on AN - yes, if I can still get access to this site from China. (I'm pretty sure this should not be a problem, though.)

In fact, I'll probably post moreso when I have essays and assignments to complete ... can't you tell?

twitter
goldfish
47 Chromosomes

2004-10-19, 02:30

Quote:
I love Melbourne - in fact, when I've been overseas, I genuinely get a "buzz" just coming back
Spot on. Melbourne's special; it feels like my home town even though I'm currently 12,000 miles away.

Simon