AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Will 15" MBP w/backlit bring redesign?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will 15" MBP w/backlit bring redesign?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-05-14, 08:46

There's been talk about backlit LCD's which supposedly ear marked for the 15" MBP model first. With the addition of Santa Rosa, I wonder if this is the time for a totally new form factor as well.
I would certainly welcome a new refresh...not that the current one is ugly by any means...but perhaps because it hasn't changed since the PBG4 days, that I find it getting a bit tired and stale.

Last edited by Satchmo : 2007-05-14 at 13:48.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-14, 09:16

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't mind a bit if the MacBook Pro models went to black, like the older pre-G4 PowerBooks used to be (except this time with the Apple facing the right way).

If they can thin it up a tad more (although I'm not complaining...it's pretty nice and sleek as is!) and give it a black aluminum matte finish, that might look nice. Would definitely set it apartment from the previous 3-4 years of PowerBooks (or longer, if you include the similarly-colored silver TiBook). And the black would also camouflage the various ports around the thing, making it all look solid and smooth at a glance...just a black square with no obvious seams, ports, slots, etc. And, of course, the glowing Apple logo would really pop off the thing, and be seen/noticed by everyone within a 30' radius.

I don't mind the idea of black Apple hardware as much as I used to. It looks nice on the MacBook and iPods, and I wouldn't mind seeing it (or a darker, richer grey) on the pro gear (MacBook Pro, the towers and even the displays). Then white on the iMac, MacBook and Mac mini (I'd redesign the Mac mini to make it look more like the new AirPort Extreme).

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-14, 09:38

The ATI HD 2600 XT announced today draws 45 watts, and the Nvidia 8600 GT draws 43 watts, so I doubt Apple can afford to make it thinner if they also want to fit it with a new GPU. For comparison, the current X1600 probably draws 42 watts under load.

Better keep the thickness and avoid any future under-clocking of the GPU.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-14, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
There's been talk about backlit LCDs...
Nitpick: Apple's LCDs already have a backlight. The upcoming revision will simply replace the existing cold cathode fluorescent tube with an array of LEDs.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-14, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
The ATI HD 2600 XT announced today draws 45 watts, and the Nvidia 8600 GT draws 43 watts, so I doubt Apple can afford to make it thinner if they also want to fit it with a new GPU. For comparison, the current X1600 probably draws 42 watts under load.

Better keep the thickness and avoid any future under-clocking of the GPU.
That's fine. Like I said, they're really sleek and stylish as is (more than most things out there), so I can budge on that point a bit. 1" is pretty reasonable.

Making it black may even give the illusion that it's thinner (black is slimming, right? ) because you won't see the seam between the display and body so easily, as well as the various ports...all things that give you some sort of reference point to easily judge thicknesses and depths by. Plus, it would look a lot cleaner from the sides (just like the black MacBook does), where the dark ports and slots aren't popping off the white or silver as on the current notebooks).

It's really a natural, obvious choice to me:
1) It's slimming/"sleekness-enhancing", and helps hide ports and seams and gives a nice clean look (all my reasons above)
2) A different look (after ~6 years, it's time for a change to the pro notebooks, IMO)
3) Black is obviously a popular choice, if black iPod and MacBook purchases are any indication
4) A subtle nod to the past, and the huge popularity of those Wall Street and other black pre-G4 PowerBooks
5) Great field to highlight a glowing logo! White pops off black better than anything...a no-brainer.
6) The marketing/advertising avenues to explore based on "black" are numerous..."Back in Black", "Paint it Black", tuxedos/formalwear, plays on "little black book", the Johnny Cash Special Edition , etc.
7) As is often the case, all the other notebook makers have jumped on the white/silver gravy train (go to a Best Buy or Circuit City and have a look), so, once again, it's time for Apple to zig to their zag, and leave them to play catch-up (just like they did years ago when they abandoned the "translucent color plastic" look just as everyone else was coming around to it and watering it down).
8) It would just look cool (Apple's obviously used this as a reason, alone, plenty of times in the past....at least this time such thinking would be backed-up and supplemented by 1-7 above).

Rats...now I'm gonna be bummed if they don't make their next MacBook Pro black. I've done such a nice job of outlining why they should, and convincing myself!

I worked up a little mockup:

Such detail and hard work!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-05-14 at 10:54.

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-05-14, 10:47

That looks really flat! Perhaps that's the new black Apple desk protector, with backlit Apple icon.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-14, 10:53

Yeah, it's 2mm thin. Screw the video card/heating situation...I'm going for the gusto!

The WTF?Book, new from Apple!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-14, 11:22

Best mockup ever.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-14, 11:25

User must apply groin as a heatsink.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-05-14, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

7) As is often the case, all the other notebook makers have jumped on the white/silver gravy train (go to a Best Buy or Circuit City and have a look), so, once again, it's time for Apple to zig to their zag, and leave them to play catch-up (just like they did years ago when they abandoned the "translucent color plastic" look just as everyone else was coming around to it and watering it down).
This is true to some extent. But I still see a lot of black laptops out there. But oddly most of them have a combination of a black and silver or some ungodly blinged out plastic shell. Sometimes it's a black exterior, with a silver palm rest and a black keyboard. Or it's a silver palm rest and white keys.
Either way, they fall short in design. Granted, it's sometimes tough to match colours exactly with plastics to plastic or to metal. Even the current MacBook's keyboard is slightly different to the palm rest.

So yes, an all black stealth MacBook Pro would be great. Just hope the add the mag latch and maybe dull the edge of that palm rest edge...my wrists are always feeling that edge.

Anthem

2007-05-14, 12:36

I'm not sure there's much more to change on the MBP... it's got to be close to finished, as far as designs go. Sure, a couple tweaks wouldn't hurt it, but you'll be hitting the limits of a 15" laptop pretty soon. The length and width can't shrink much because of the screen/keyboard, and the thickness is already pretty amazing. It can get thinner, of course, but not by much.

That's not to say the MBP can't be improved, just that improvements are likely to come from upgrading interior components instead of a redesign.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-14, 12:56

Actually I would like to see the hinge changed to something else. It often frustrates me that I can't recline the screen more than it currently does.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-14, 13:40

Quote:
Actually I would like to see the hinge changed to something else. It often frustrates me that I can't recline the screen more than it currently does.
Indeed, the original titanium PowerBook could open a full 180 degrees. That was a pretty nice capability.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-05-14, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Nitpick: Apple's LCDs already have a backlight. The upcoming revision will simply replace the existing cold cathode fluorescent tube with an array of LEDs.
Changed. Thanks

sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-05-14, 14:06

Quote:
I agree 100%

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-05-14, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Indeed, the original titanium PowerBook could open a full 180 degrees. That was a pretty nice capability.
Wasn't there a major issue with Titanium power book hinges though? Were they not known for being fragile?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-14, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Wasn't there a major issue with Titanium power book hinges though? Were they not known for being fragile?
Of the four that I've used, only one had hinge problems, but I think it was actually dropped out of a moving car or something.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

salvatore

2007-05-17, 16:41

My apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but what's the latest speculation on when the MPBs will receive their update?

.sal

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-05-17, 16:53

I would like to see the latch changed to a MacBook style magnetic latch and also a user replaceable HD like on the MacBook. That would make the MacBook Pro pretty much perfect in my opinion.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-18, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore View Post
My apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but what's the latest speculation on when the MPBs will receive their update?

.sal
With the update to the MacBooks, speculation could now be taken as guarantee that the MacBook Pro will be revamped at WWDC. The MacBooks are now so close in spec to the Pros that Apple will have no choice but to update them, and soon! Not only that, but "older" ( ) models are on sale for $100-$200 off, leaving MacBook Pros in the $1000-$1500 more expensive range. That's a hell of a premium for a larger screen, bigger video card and some fancy lights under the keyboard (FW800 could be argued, but you'd be wasting your breath).

Updates WILL come at WWDC as "one more thing." Jobs will spend the remainder of his time on iLife '07, iWork 07, Leopard and that phone thingy you're all so giddy about.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-05-18, 22:54

Actually, I think Jobs wil spend most of his time talking about Leopard, as it *is* a developer's conference. A release date for the iPhone may be announced, but I don't see it being a focus in any way (unless Jobs announces that the iPhone is open to developers, in which case it will be a focus). And...um...I don't think we'll see an iLife '07 or iWork '07. Even if they are released at the end of this year, I'll think they'd take the '08 designation (unless Apple is planning on updating them in two months...stranger things have happened!).

So...lots of Leopard stuff, a brief iPhone mention (it'll be the elephant in the room), and new MBPs. Sounds alright to me.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-05-18, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
And...um...I don't think we'll see an iLife '07 or iWork '07. Even if they are released at the end of this year, I'll think they'd take the '08 designation (unless Apple is planning on updating them in two months...stranger things have happened!).
[hijack thread]

There's speculation that Apple might rebrand iLife and iWork to "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard."

I hope that one of the "secret features" of Leopard is that iLife and iWork will be included in the operating system. Hey, I can always dream...

[/hijack thread]

Last edited by sirnick4 : 2007-05-18 at 23:10.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-05-31, 20:07

Didn't think I needed to start a whole new thread for the following, so I just tacked it on here where it makes sense (talking about new Macbook Pros):

Some French Mac site is saying new MacBook Pros next Tuesday, June 5.

The guy quoted in the story says they've ordered some - he works at a reseller - but Apple hasn't told them any specifics. Is that a common practice? Anyone here stateside in the same business...have you placed orders for new MacBook Pro models too?

Not sure how reliable this is, just passing it along. It's on MacRumors.com with some rough translation if you're curious.

I don't know if these are going to be rip-roarin' new models, with Santa Rosa, LED displays and maybe a new enclosure design (it's high time for one, IMO). Or if these updates are going to be as barely noticeable and "huh?" as the MacBook one from two weeks ago.

I really hope not. Surely Apple has gotten their hands on the new Intel stuff like others have? Maybe they'll release new 15" and 17" models Tuesday, then unveil - as a "one more thing" - that rumored subnotebook at WWDC the following week?

But I don't like the idea of them splitting same products up like that...kinda dangerous. A bunch of people waiting for a subnotebook, it doesn't show up with the big Tuesday update so they go ahead and either buy a MacBook or one of the larger MacBook Pro models; then, a week later, Apple unveils the tiny one they were waiting for all along.

Ouch! I know you can return things within a certain window, but still...just the hassle involved in returns, shipping, restocking fees, getting the balance back on your credit card, etc. Plus the feeling of "why don't you people do all your MBP update crap at one time so I can make an informed buying decision...if I knew you were actually coming out with an 11" miniBook I wouldn't have bought this BTO'd-up-the-wazoo MacBook! Grrr..."

I say the above simply because I couldn't imagine Apple releasing an all-new product (subnotebook) via website homepage/press release only. They'd want something like that to be given a bit of the ol' Steve RDF presentation treatment. And if that's the case, that doesn't look good for updates next Tuesday (because I don't think Apple would split them up, unless they consider this subnotebook something truly different, and not legitimately falling under the "MacBook Pro" heading. If they're calling it something else entirely, then they may indeed split them up...

I don't know. I just meant to give a head's up to the link above, but I ended up writing a small novel.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-05-31 at 20:20.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-31, 22:36

Quote:
…The guy quoted in the story says they've ordered some - he works at a reseller - but Apple hasn't told them any specifics. Is that a common practice? Anyone here stateside in the same business...have you placed orders for new MacBook Pro models too?…
I call BS!

Apple does not release new part numbers until the machines have been released. We will get an email from ASW (Apple Sales Web) that confirms the announcement, lists prices, availability and part numbers. There is no (and I mean NONE!) advanced warning, other than the rumor mills.

Occasionally, we will know (usually no more than 24 hours) from the rumor mills that something is definite and call our distributors to place an advanced order for an as-yet unknown thing. Our reps then make a note to backorder or ship said thing in such and such quantity, although initial lots are tightly allocated.

To sum it up: BS

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-31, 22:44

Quote:
…but I ended up writing a small novel…
And that's different from any other time because…?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-02, 18:16

ThinkSecret is now chiming in with news about a Tuesday MacBook Pro release. They seem confident on it involving at least the 15" model (they didn't seem sure about the 17", although it would be odd if they weren't updated together).

Oh well, in any case it's looking more and more like some sort of activity on the MacBook Pro front come this Tuesday.

rasmits
rams it

2007-06-02, 22:56

I'm going to tell you all a true story:

Today I went to a tiny mom & pop coffee place.

When I walked in, I was the only one there. I sat down and started using my PowerBook. The owner, a bohemian old woman with a vibrantly patterned sun dress and an exuberance of beaded necklaces, walked out from the back room and started pounding keys on the register.

"We're just about to close, I'm so sorry. Do you need the internet for a while? I can wait" she said.

"No, it's alright really. I just got here." I said, startled by the notion that a coffee place could close at 5 pm (obviously I forgot I was in the middle of nowhere).

She flashed a whimsical smile and pulled out her iBook from beneath the register. "How do you like your PowerBook?" She asked, casually opening the lid to her obviously well-used computer. "I hear Mac is coming out with a new laptop; It's going to be thinner than the RAZR. That will be my next laptop... I've had this trusty iBook for three years and it's been wonderful".

You heard it here first, people. New MB, thinner than the RAZR. I have no doubts that this woman is a reliable source with possible connections to a higher power.

You had me at asl

joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-06-02, 23:01

Hahaha thinner than the RAZR!

I can see them trying to push the boundaries of thinness with the rumoured new sub-notebook if they go NAND flash memory and no optical drive. That would be pretty sweet.

~11" widescreen hi-res LED backlit display with minimal bezel
32 GB NAND-flash memory with near-instant boot times
Full-size backlit keyboard
Über-thin, light design
Leopard, iSight, bluetooth etc
Matching sleek external SuperDrive

Apple redefines the sub-notebook.

Mmmm.... tasty.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-02, 23:21

I'd get it, if it wasn't too insanely priced. That sounds nice, those features/specs! Can't wait to see what, if anything, they do in that space (if anything). Pretty much down to this rumored sub-notebook or a MacBook for me, just depending on price and features/specs come autumn.

Anthem

2007-06-03, 19:30

It's real, it's just not a Mac.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notebook-...azr-263359.php