AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iTunes - subscription model ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes - subscription model ?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-09, 03:18

[A rarity - speculation which doesn't involve Intel ]

A few analysts have of late talked about Apple introducing a subscription model to complement the existing iTunes offering to compete directly with Napster, Yahoo and Real. I'm a bit surprised by this - I use iTunes to buy my music and I'd never want to rent because I'd lose the tracks if / when I stopped the subscription. Subscription seems counterintuitive. In addition, whilst iTunes probably only breaks even, it's often said that Yahoo will much struggle to make a profit and that Napster / Real will very much struggle because they are so much more expensive than Yahoo. Anyone have a view here - anyone really keen to subscribe not buy?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 06:30

As Napster, Yahoo and Real shows, there is a market.Some people don't like buying cds and albums and like to listen to a whole bunch of music and want to listen to the songs before they go and buy said album. It's better then a review or buying an album on a single.

iTunes wil have subscription..one day. That is, if these subscription don't bankrupt the competition. Hell, Apple has a pool waiting for the day when Yahoo goes down(or raises there prices).
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-09, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
As Napster, Yahoo and Real shows, there is a market.
I hear ya - I'm just struggling to imagine people wanting to rent music
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-09, 06:52

I think it depends on how you listen to music, and what music you tend to listen to. If you only listen to what's in the charts right now, and don't care for the stuff you liked last year, you might as well use a subscription model (or turn on the radio ). You won't miss the music anyway when you stop paying for it. Also, I guess that people like the idea of being able to listen to any of tens or hundreds of thousands of songs - even if that doesn't really make much sense to most people (what are you going to choose?).

iTunes will probably offer such a model at some point. But I can't see myself renting my music, I really like owning it - and sometimes I even listen to some really old stuff from like five years ago!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-06-09, 07:34

Apple will have to have some type of subscription service soon. It's becoming quite a popular model for the competition, and I don't see Apple passing up on a good business opportunity.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
nassau

2005-06-09, 11:19

i wouldn't mind renting actually, i don't buy music anymore. whatever old classics i want to have, i get from p2p or already have on cd.

renting would be like listening to the radio, but paying for the privilege of being able to pick and choose, and not have to have commercials shoved down my ears.

kinda like premium channels on cable, but better. like pay-per-view perhaps...?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-06-09, 13:08

Subscription isn't my cup of tea either, but if this Intel announcement proves anything, it's that Apple does what's best for business. Just because Apple says that subscription isn't a good deal now doesn't mean they won't change its mind if there's growth and profit in that direction. They could just as easily come out and say, "OK, we now offer you more choice like you wanted," and maybe add some perks over other similar services, like charging less for CD burning or something actually benefitial to customers.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-09, 13:25

Apple will announce a subscription service and market it as if they are inventors of it and mac groupies everywhere will follow.

Subscription services seem like a great option as long as they are 5-10 dollars a month. I mean, honestly, how can you beat that?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-06-09, 13:59

Well, 30 years down the road, some people still want to hear their old music. $1 per song comes out a lot cheaper in the long haul. It's just a question of whether you get tired of your music once and for all. The downside to me of subscription, but a decision which I can understand, is that it costs an extra $1 to burn it to CD, and then usually only a limited number of burns. This is becoming less of an issue though with iPods and such, as people are actually burning fewer CDs.
nassau

2005-06-09, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
This is becoming less of an issue though with iPods and such, as people are actually burning fewer CDs.
yea, i have noticed that I NEVER burn Cds anymore, let alone listen to them. i have a CD player in my stereo, last time i actually popped a CD in there was more than eons ago.

i don't listen to CDs - DO YOU HEAR THAT RECORD LABELS!!!!!!!

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-10, 02:15

I haven't listened to a CD directly in ages, either. But I still like having them around so I can decide what to do with my music. I hate the lock-in that all those online stores create, and that includes iTunes. So I'd rather keep buying CDs, even if the first (and only) thing I do with them is rip them.