MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 7 of 25 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-17, 05:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
I've been playing around in the Nether. Building rails and building portals in the Nether just to see what happens. I was surprised to see a matching portal was made in the overworld when I built the portal in the Nether.
Yeah... Don't do that.
delphi

2012-04-17, 06:11

Just exploring and having fun! Oh! don't explore too much.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-17, 06:18

Explore, just don't pop up from Nether.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-21, 11:50

I'm going to be changing DNS providers in the near future for my domain. This may impact your access to the Maps. I'm pretty sure it won't impact the server but wanted to make sure everyone knew.

Since the weekend is some of the highest usage, I won't be making the change until late Sunday or Monday. I've set my current records for a 1 hour TTL so the worst case is you would have to wait an hour and try again.

Short version: Maintenance in the near future. Possible 1 hour outage.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-21, 22:31

Good news, looks like I'm going to be able to automate the map gen process again. The developer open sourced it so we are now at 2.10v. I'm running the first render now so lets see how this goes!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-22, 10:37

New maps are up with OVERHEAD view again!

Ok, so the first map didn't process right, I'm rerunning it to repair now. Automation is coming back.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-22, 19:17

Is the reason not to pop up from the Nether to keep the map from getting big and unwieldy? Or is it a processor thingy?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-22, 19:26

Good news on the automation!

Weird map bug: it renders upside-down wood slabs as other way up stone slabs:

SpecMode
Wait what

2012-04-22, 19:47

"Good" to see that the glowstone lighting bugs are carrying over to the map renders: take a look at the top of the museum complex in night view mode.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-22, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Is the reason not to pop up from the Nether to keep the map from getting big and unwieldy? Or is it a processor thingy?
Map management. The processor and SSD can handle it with no problem. We aren't even really scratching the surface of abilities there on most nights. It's making the map unwieldy that is the concern.

That is an interesting bug with the half steps, I'll have to see if I can get a bug report on that one. Since the code is open source now, maybe that can get fixed faster.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-04-23, 13:59

I see that someone went on a massive pleasure jaunt to the south.

Some interesting new structures way to the west and north too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-23, 21:37

It kind of looks like a Klingon Bird of Prey!!!

Or a penis

¡Damned!

2012-04-23, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I see that someone went on a massive pleasure jaunt to the south.
I thought that the last massive land extension had to be compass warp assisted. Now I'm sure.

That thing is like crack.

(wasn't me, btw)

[edit]: Err, apparently not compass warp, looking at the new map.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-04-24 at 07:52.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-24, 17:00

Sonic is running wild. Hope he found some gold rings.

On a great note, bug fixes are out:
- changed slabs, wooden planks, wood/log, leaves and saplings to use id:data in block config xml
- added upside down slabs and stairs
- added Jungle wood/leaf type
- added leaves color option to block config xml (overrides any calc'd biome colors, set color="" to use old calculation instead)
- added sandstone variants
- added round stone bricks
- fixed stairs side texture orientation (and maybe a few other blocks)

The map is currently running it's 4pm (soon to move to 3pm) but once it runs I'll update to the newest version and have that map up.

Since 709 asked in the game I figured I'd post it here. With the automated process I have it set to run every 6 hours. As of right now it is set to run at 0400, 1000, 1600, 2200. I am going to be adjusting that though to 0300, 0900, 1500, 2100.

Also, now we can use the signs as we always have. If you look at the first post you will see the guide on how to do so.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-24, 17:34

sonic should reign it in...

perhaps a warning is in order for the newer folks...
¡Damned!

2012-04-24, 18:33

Or we could just set boundaries until that space is filled, like 2000 (or whatever) blocks away from spawn is the Forbidden Zone - and everything and one past that zone will be trimmed.

I don't understand the need to be that far out, honestly. It's not like you're going to find anything other than what you could find within a ~2K block radius. Mooshrooms excluded.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-24, 19:19

I'm not sure we need a "warning" - the reason we invested in the SSD was so this wouldn't become an issue.

But pruning excess exploration is a good idea to keep the map usable.

I assumed the latest exploration was a quest for mooshrooms.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-04-24, 20:07

Creative Weekend project idea: DIY mushroom biome. Compared to some of the stuff y'all come up with, this should be ridiculously easy to throw together.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-24, 21:04

I like it! I nominate this island for mushroomification:

Anyone had plans for it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-24, 21:50

The thing is it will still spawn baddies if not lit up. True biome is baddie free.

Fact is the map can be expanded and won't be an issue since we do have the SSD. The chunks not used will not impact game play. It will just make this map larger.

The more I think about it the less I actually care about the map size since we are on the SSD. However, since this is the map thread, my concern is render time. I would have to move to a 12 hours render time as opposed to the current 6 hour slot.

¡Damned!

2012-04-25, 13:40

I noticed an unlabeled Steve on the map camping out North a few days ago and thought it was just a glitch, but apparently it's alive:

Ghost Steve? Herobrine? wtf?

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-25, 17:34

Interesting, I'll see what I can find about it.

Also, I've made a copy of our map that is 8000x8000 and no mushroom biome. I'm currently making a map that is 16000x16000 in search of one. I'll post it in overview mode on Lenny once it completes. Going to take a long time. Don't skip dinner or anything waiting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-25, 17:44

Herobrine, fo' sho.

That museum sure is spooky at night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-25, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The thing is it will still spawn baddies if not lit up. True biome is baddie free.
I may be able to help with that... note that the parks in town have little green pockets of not-desert biome in them.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-25, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I may be able to help with that... note that the parks in town have little green pockets of not-desert biome in them.
I thought I saw this when looking through the server files...

I'm still on the hunt for the "natural biome" if I can. Personally I think it would be awesome to have mushroom biome closer to home for everyone. Train station and portal even on there.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-26, 06:25

FYI, a 16000 x 16000 block world is 6.37GB. I am running the overview map of it right now and will hopefully be able to put it up on Lenny after work today.....if it's done rendering by then.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-28, 05:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I like it! I nominate this island for mushroomification:

Anyone had plans for it?
No objections posted. DONE.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-28, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
No objections posted. DONE.
So with this new change I'm going to run through hand remove the torches and put a portal in there. Might eventually put a train terminal too.

Torches can stay in caves and underground, but no need to torches on the surface. It's a baddie free zone.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-28, 12:40

By the way, here's a birds-eye-view of the result until the map updates.

Taken before any torches were removed.
¡Damned!

2012-04-28, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So with this new change I'm going to run through hand remove the torches and put a portal in there. Might eventually put a train terminal too.
Portal/train terminal might be nicer inside the large cave than on the surface. Thoughts?