AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 11 of 13 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 18:31

I'm kinda toying with the idea of getting one of the $349 refurb Wifi-only iPad 2 (16GB). They have a new outer shell and battery, which makes it tempting. I can't sink $500+ into such a thing at this time, and the 2 is a proven winner. I'd pretty much just run the stock Apple stuff, and then a handful of my favorite apps that "make sense" on an iPad (Scrabble, Sketchbook, etc.) and just get my feet wet.

In the evenings, and on weekends, I find myself on my iPhone way more than the iMac (casual word games, reading, surfing, catching up on e-mails, etc.). More and more I catch myself thinking "I wish this damn screen was bigger...".

I was just trying to get an idea of what comes on these things, out of the box, and how I'd most likely run a "lean and clean" version (my iPhone is 3G-enabled and with me 24/7, so this would mostly be an "at home" or "if I'm going away for the weekend and I know the destination has WiFi). Honestly, my OCD kicked in a bit and I was already wondering how I'd organize my home screen apps...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-23, 18:39

Do it! $349 is a no brainer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 19:16

Yeah, I know. And I don't intend on putting anywhere near the apps and data (music, pics) on this as I have on my phone, so the 16GB shouldn't be any issue. I'm going to sleep on it a day or so, give it some thought. If I still feel this way in a couple of days...

I spent a long weekend at my dad and stepmom's in SC a couple of weeks ago and that was the first time I'd spent so much time with an iPad. It kinda turned my head around a bit. I've always liked them, of course, but just never felt it was something I needed or had a use for.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-23, 19:20

You really won't regret it.

If you hurry you might still be able to find the orange smart cover in stock somewhere
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 19:53

That's right, I forgot they removed it. I'd just get the light grey. Orange on a black iPad might look a bit Halloween-ish, year 'round. And I don't want a white one, as much as I love how they (and the iPhone) look. I think it would drive me nuts in a darker room, seeing that frame "peeking out". This black iPhone just "disappears" in the dark, or lower light scenarios, and all I see is the screen. Seems to "pop" more. My iMac has a black frame too, so I don't need to go rocking any boats and get a third device that doesn't.

I don't know...nothing is decided. Just mulling it all over. Kinda makes it easy going with a refurb 2, knowing that I'm basically going to get the same level of performance (processing and battery) as the new ones. And since I'm not a heavy gamer and I don't have an iPad 1 or 2 to compare it to, I won't know what I'm "missing" by skipping out on the Retina Display. And $150 is $150...never dreamed I could get into one of these for that price, if I decided to.

Playing Scrabble with my Dad right now, one state away (yeah, that's how I roll on my Friday nights... ). Right now is when I'd love a) the big, long-lasting battery and b) the iPad-formatted version! Scrabble, in general, is a battery zapper. And I'm sure this online/Internet way of playing isn't helping. I've dropped about 8% in the past 40 minutes.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-23, 20:17

Seriously, Paul. Maybe it's just me but if I was going to buy an iPad for the first time, there's no way I would get iPad 2 after spending time with the screen on the new one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 20:24

Well that's just it...I haven't spent time with the new one, and so what I don't know won't hurt me.

Plus, I can swing $350 a little easier than $500 right now. And since it's not a primary, 24/7 device (I already have an iPhone 4 and a 20" iMac and I hate the idea of adding a third thing to the mix as it is), I'm reluctant to go all-out for a "sometimes" device. All I've ever messed with, or set up, is the iPad 2. And it's been fine.

Down the road I can always step up if I want. Maybe treat myself to a 128GB model in a couple of years, and retire the Mac altogether?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-24, 06:05

My worry about the BOOKback is what Quag mentioned WRT to the "heat problem" - the aluminum helps dissipate heat. Will the cover affect cooling? I should email DODO and see what they think.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-24, 07:16

So what are people's thoughts on the new iPad, one week after launch. Any observations, criticisms?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-24, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My worry about the BOOKback is what Quag mentioned WRT to the "heat problem" - the aluminum helps dissipate heat. Will the cover affect cooling? I should email DODO and see what they think.
I've wondered about that. Seems if you totally cover/wrap it, that might affect some things. It's why I like the idea of a smart cover...just protects the important part, leaves the rest open.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-24, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
[..]

I'd pretty much just run the stock Apple stuff, and then a handful of my favorite apps that "make sense" on an iPad (Scrabble, Sketchbook, etc.) and just get my feet wet.

[...]
Yeah. Right.

Getting apps is like eating peanuts...once you start you can't stop.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-24, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So what are people's thoughts on the new iPad, one week after launch. Any observations, criticisms?
Aside from the extra warmth and battery (more on this), I don't have a single criticism.

Battery: while it doesn't discharge too terribly quickly, since I use the iPad essentially all day while I'm in the office, up to 7-8 hours, my battery is usually rundown to about 30% or so when I get home. Since I don't have a laptop or cable, I'm on the iPad a lot at the end of the night, too. But since it takes so much longer to charge the iPad, I can't just plug it in for a quick charge and expect it to be good through the rest of the night or if I forget to charge it before going to the office, it's hard to get it charged enough if I've got a full schedule.

Voice dictation is quite good and I mumble. I used it to respond to a couple of emails and I was surprised at how accurate and quick it is. A definite unexpected surprise.

The screen. It's gorgeous and improves the devices functionality since I can read zoomed out.

RAM: such a nice benefit after 2 years of Safari paging tabs out on my original iPad.

Multi-touch gestures: I have them enabled on my original iPad but it always seemed a little sluggish. I used them on occasion (mostly when I needed to be surreptitious about switching apps) but it was never fluid enough to be a home button replacement. Well, on the new iPad, it's super fluid and easy. I venture to say that I use them more than the home button now. I would be totally ok if the button were to go away in a future device. Prior to this, I'd have thought that would be crazy.

I haven't had occasion to test out the LTE yet but I'm looking forward to doing that at some point. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-24, 12:49

I love my new iPad. It's my first iPad. Typing on it is easy in landscape. Hell I am typing this on my iPad. Screen is amazing and I love the battery( even with "charging gate").

It was a spur of the moment buy. I was in the mall to buy shampoo and conditioner. I went by the apple store just to check it out. After seeing it and using it, I loved it. It got me thinking that I hardly use my MBP as I laptop anymore. Plus iPads are becoming common place in the cockpit of aircraft so I can use it as an electronic flight bag. So I ended up buying a 32 gb Verizon iPad.

LTE is amazing...... Its faster than my places internet connection. Its a good thing they got rid of unlimited plans or people might ditch their ISP's for using the iPads LTE connection for their Internet source. It's sad that cell providers are providing faster speeds than the cable providers for around the same price.......

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2012-03-24 at 13:09.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-24, 12:53

Quote:
My feelings haven't changed much, it's great! Unless I need to work on specific projects I hardly even use my iMac. I think there was one day this week that I didn't wake it up at all, I'd heard other people say that, but it still suprises me.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-24, 13:11

I never use my MBP at home anymore due to my iPad. The MBP is almost exclusively for work now.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-03-24, 14:00

Quote:
Well that's just it...I haven't spent time with the new one, and so what I don't know won't hurt me.

Plus, I can swing $350 a little easier than $500 right now. And since it's not a primary, 24/7 device (I already have an iPhone 4 and a 20" iMac and I hate the idea of adding a third thing to the mix as it is), I'm reluctant to go all-out for a "sometimes" device. All I've ever messed with, or set up, is the iPad 2. And it's been fine.

Down the road I can always step up if I want. Maybe treat myself to a 128GB model in a couple of years, and retire the Mac altogether?
You will be just fine with the 2. I saw the new one on Monday and was expecting to be totally blown away by the display after reading the reviews but that didn't happen. It's nicer but for what I do with the iPad I didn't notice that much difference. I'm sure for some applications it's much better but I would rather spend $350 and "settle".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-24, 14:15

Yeah, it's going to be a surfing/e-mail/doodle/word game sort of thing, most of all. I'm certainly open to more in the future, but a few things will have to fall into place and I don't think they're going to happen in the next 12-18 months (if at all).
beardedmacuser

2012-03-24, 14:41

Quote:
I'm kinda toying with the idea of getting one of the $349 refurb Wifi-only iPad 2 (16GB). They have a new outer shell and battery, which makes it tempting. I can't sink $500+ into such a thing at this time, and the 2 is a proven winner.
That's exactly what I did last week! In fact I'm typing this reply on my refurb iPad 2 and I've been very pleased with it so far. It's an excellent computer for sitting on the sofa or in bed, and my only concern is that my wife seems to be getting particularly attached to it!

I was worried it might make my Kindle redundant but if all I want to do is read a book I still find my Kindle lighter to hold and easier on the eye than my iPad.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-26, 10:10

Honestly, the iPad 2 is just as snappy as the iPad 3. All the new silicon inside is basically to drive the new display at the same speed as the old one (except for doubling of RAM, that's a bonus).

I set up my iPad 3 as a new iPad and have only installed apps updated to run on retina. I still use my iPad 2 for non-retina stuff. It's tough because even with the new screen I think I might still like my iPad 2 better (lighter, cooler, faster charging). I've actually entertained returning my iPad 3 a couple of times.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-26, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Honestly, the iPad 2 is just as snappy as the iPad 3. All the new silicon inside is basically to drive the new display at the same speed as the old one (except for doubling of RAM, that's a bonus).
This is mostly true — the CPU is virtually the same, the beefier GPU is mostly there to drive the much, much higher resolution, and some of the added RAM is used for the GPU as well. But the remainder of the RAM adds far more flexibility in how much you can keep running — more pages to keep open in Safari, more programs to switch between, etc.

[Also, of course, the cellular networking additions make for more performance in that respect, too (while you're not on Wi-Fi).]
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-26, 10:52

Yeah, that's kinda my thinking on it...lighter, thinner, cooler, charges faster. And the 2 is all I really ever used or messed with (I've never even held a first-generation iPad). A proven product/performer, and you can't beat these new lower prices with a stick.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-03-26, 12:00

OK, so this is the one thing I've really, really enjoyed on my new iPad. There's a remote desktop app. called "Splashtop".

It was on sale for $3, so I figured why not.

Totally rocks. Allows remote desktop access to PC's or Macs, you can set up your gmail account inside their client, which will allow you to discover any of your machines remotely without having to mess with network/port settings.

It's pretty fast, and allows you to stream video/audio over the connection back to your iPad.

Normally it's $20, so if this sounds at all worthwhile I'd pick it up now. Awesome app.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-26, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
OK, so this is the one thing I've really, really enjoyed on my new iPad. There's a remote desktop app. called "Splashtop".

It was on sale for $3, so I figured why not.

Totally rocks. Allows remote desktop access to PC's or Macs, you can set up your gmail account inside their client, which will allow you to discover any of your machines remotely without having to mess with network/port settings.

It's pretty fast, and allows you to stream video/audio over the connection back to your iPad.

Normally it's $20, so if this sounds at all worthwhile I'd pick it up now. Awesome app.
Sounds great. I'll have to buy it.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-29, 11:33

Great new drawing app.

http://fiftythree.com/

Regards
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-29, 12:02

I have to say, every time an update updates for Retina, I get excited. And this new drawing / notes app looks to be in full Retina glory. I can't wait to play with it.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-29, 12:11

Quote:
Great new drawing app.

http://fiftythree.com/

Regards
Looks nice!
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-29, 12:16

There's only one issue with this - you have to buy the individual brushes from the app store.
But you can get them all as a pack. I just bought that. They're totally worth it. - especially on the Retina iPad.

Last edited by Jason : 2012-03-29 at 12:30.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-29, 13:28

Quote:
There's only one issue with this - you have to buy the individual brushes from the app store.
But you can get them all as a pack. I just bought that. They're totally worth it. - especially on the Retina iPad.
How does the handwriting compare to Remarks or Penultimate? IMO, Remarks captures handwriting much better than Penultimate, so how does this compare? Worth the $7.99 price for the full brush set?

Never mind, I realize there's a "try it" section in their store (super smart!). This app is awesome. The quality is very, very good and the input is super accurate. My only gripe is the rewind gesture is too hard to activate and too similar to the close book gesture. But I'm sure they'll work it out or I'll get used to it.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

Last edited by jdcfsu : 2012-03-29 at 15:37.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-31, 22:09

I got my BOOKBack the other day. It went on very easily. It looks great and is exactly what I wanted out of a back cover. Highly recommended!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-31, 23:54

Anyone using it as a night stand alarm clock?