AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Bit Torrent Takes Down Connection To My Hackintosh

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bit Torrent Takes Down Connection To My Hackintosh
Partial
Stallion

2009-01-02, 02:49

All,

Every now and again I will be using Bit Torrent through Tranmission and it will be working great.

Then, at other times, it will work for a minute or two, and then completely disconnect my computer from the internet. When I do a reboot, the internet is right back, so it isn't taking down the modem or the router.

A quick google search tells me that this problem can be from multiple people on the network using Bit Torrent, resulting in a huge number of connections. However, I'm not sure if this is the issue as I understand that will knock out the cable modem, and require a reboot of the modem.

Any thoughts? This one is really ticking me off as I'm actually trying to use BT for a legit, legal purpose (downloading Ubuntu for laptop).

For what its worth, this is occuring on my Hackintosh, and the connection does not ever go down unless Bit Torrent is being used.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I upload at a reasonable rate (20kbps) and download at 500kbps, well within normal upload usage, so its not that!

Oh, another thing. I should note this kills lan. I can no longer ping/connect to the web interface for our router when the disconnect occurs.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-02, 05:51

Odds are it's 'traffic shaping' from the ISP.
/. has stories on Comcast, Bell, and numerous others doing this.
Many block ports used by p2p (legitimate use or not) attempting to limit 'heavy users' via caps on total throughput and bandwidth/sec which you pay them for already, but far more insidiously what you can do with it.

Not my fault they've made shitty infrastructure and billing decisions, but rather than innovate and upgrade the network to handle new demand, they're now just trying to throttle users.

BT here in the UK has started to do it regularly (I notice Acquisition getting throttled back at certain times of day, and blinking modem warnings that disappear after reset or with any other use)... it's making me seriously consider switching providers to somebody less obnoxious.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Partial
Stallion

2009-01-02, 16:31

I don't think its that, though, because I never change ports to run bit torrent out of, and sometimes it works like a champion, then other times its an disconnect within a minute or two.

I've secretly limited one of my roomates computers torrent client to limit accepted connections from 250 to 20. I will try doing the other one and report in.

I appreciate the response!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Partial
Stallion

2009-01-04, 04:00

Hmm, well this is weird. Right now, for the first time in days Bit Torrent is flying. I'm not sure why I'm not disconnecting right now.

Neither of the roommates has their computer on, and I am thinking this has something to do with it. I can't come up with any reason for the disconnections that doesn't have to do with overloading the connection to my computer.

Partial
Stallion

2009-01-04, 05:02

Spoke too soon. I was going strong for about 20 minutes, then had a complete disconnect. I went in and took some screen shots of my network panel in System Preferences. Clearly, it has disconnected from the router. When I go and look at it when my connection is healthy, I'm at 192.168.2.x

Partial
Stallion

2009-01-04, 22:59

Anyone have any thoughts or perhaps a phrase to google. I'm stumped.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-01-05, 00:44

I also think its related to the number of connections your router can handle. Did you ever get a chance to throttle the number of connections your other roommates have allowed? Perhaps they've given your network key out to a neighbor who's also using BT and he's loaded up on connections?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-05, 05:45

Are you sure it's not traffic shaping?

Some ISPs limit all non-HTTP transfers, or throttle at certain times of day, or sniff packets.

Some links above offer 'workarounds' other than changing ISPs. YMMV.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-01-05, 11:40

Our area is with Time Warner, I haven't heard about them starting any traffic shaping. And they're not on the wiki list from that first link. Neither is U-verse, our other alternative ... i think.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Partial
Stallion

2009-01-05, 12:04

It could be traffic shaping, but I doubt it. Right now, it has been up and running for the longest its been able to for days. I'm still downloading the Ubuntu Distro, which normally would download extremely quickly historically, but I'm limiting my connection to 5 people, and I'm downloading at about 5kbps.

At least it has stayed up for about 9 hours without taking down my connection!

I'm on Time Warner in Milwaukee. Can't say I've had a problem before, but the past month this has cropped up.

I really appreciate your help guys! I'm going to keep plugging away and trying to figure out the solution!

Last edited by Partial : 2009-01-05 at 12:19.