Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2012 ;)
Page 6 of 10 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-02, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'll agree that the 4 was the sexiest phone ever made, but c'mon, the 5 is going to be a taller 4 with mis-matched backing? I just don't believe it. Hopefully all these leaks prove that Apple is still the Master of Secrets™ and the 5 looks absolutely nothing like these leaks.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?
My thoughts exactly, brother man. I smell a rat with these "leaks"...

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-08-02, 21:58

You guys are funny. You should read the comments you all posted when the 4 leaks began to show up. Such a big deal that Steve refered to them, explaining the so awfull seams...

Steve surely worked on this model so I guess It's gorgeous when you got it in hand.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-03, 12:00

I don't think these leaks, real or not, are "ugly". It just looks a bit odd after so many models (since 2008) having a solid, one-color back. I assume it's that way for reasons other than looks.

I always thought the iPhone 4 looked great from the first moment I saw those "bargate" pics at Gizmodo. I just didn't know - nobody did - what those seams/break lines were, and it just seemed so strange. This is before we knew that outer band was an antenna and actually served a purpose, so those black seams just didn't make any sense without context.

I'm sure whatever Apple releases, even if it's exactly like these leaked pics, will look nice. That's not something I worry about from them.

After two years, it'll be nice to something different...big or small.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-08-03, 12:30

I think it is more foolish right now to be skeptical of the leaked photos and parts than to believe they are real.

The evidence is pretty overwhelming and readily available at this point.

I'm pretty shocked at the terrible secrecy around the product.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-03, 12:44

I feel what I feel. It's easier - and more rewarding - than ever for someone to stage elaborate, attention-getting shams. I've seen it enough to make me look at "maybe", unconfirmed things with a bit of a sideways, suspicious eye.

I realize I may very well be wrong about this, but until it's officially unveiled by Apple I'm not buying completely into anything. It's crazy to get too excited - or too disappointed - by an unknown.

I like to leave a little wiggle room...

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-08-03, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I feel what I feel. It's easier - and more rewarding - than ever for someone to stage elaborate, attention-getting shams. I've seen it enough to make me look at "maybe", unconfirmed things with a bit of a sideways, suspicious eye.

I realize I may very well be wrong about this, but until it's officially unveiled by Apple I'm not buying completely into anything. It's crazy to get too excited - or too disappointed - by an unknown.

I like to leave a little wiggle room...
sure... but at some point it's just putting blinders on.... and this has happened pretty consistently the past 3-5 years now. Apple has not been good at keeping secrets since their massive growth kicked in. Almost all details have been leaked for every product. The only thing they seem to be able to truly keep secret anymore is some software releases (Mountain Lion as an example).

A lot of people doubted the iPhone 4 too.... yet that one was even "stolen" and had a high profile Apple lawsuit.

There's a lot of crap rumors to sift through, but inbetween all of that, there has pretty much been exact details and information for most hardware releases the past 3-5 years. It's just knowing which sources to believe. And certainly part leaks have proven to be extremely accurate.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-03, 13:23

That's true. I fully accept the possibility they're legit. We're not arguing that. I can go either way. Cool thing is, we're only about five weeks away from knowing for sure.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-08-03, 14:10

I actually wonder if Apple's patents and this pending Samsung trial are having a heavy influence on Apple's iPhone design development. If Apple were to successfully defend their design patents and win, it would have huge ramifications and it may be in Apple's best interest to keep a basic look and feel to the iPhone design. I'm a bit surprised they haven't taken more daring design chances with the leaked design. But maybe they don't think it is a wise business decision if the design may ultimately be protected and holding on to that design and having it remain critical to their business seems like a pretty big deal.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-06, 14:48

Sometimes I just need to say stuff out loud.

Me, four days ago, talking about Apple moving the iPods and iOS devices to this new smaller docking port:

Quote:
...hopefully Apple will be able to do all this in a big, one-time switch (the new iPhone, any new iPods and possibly this new "iPad mini"). Then, next spring, knowing that the fourth-generation iPad would come that way (unless they surprised everyone and released an iPad v3.5 this fall with the new port design).
Today, at AppleInsider: Apple rumored to extend smaller dock to connector to iPad and other devices this year.

Quote:
iMore, which was first to report on plans for the smaller connector earlier this year and similarly made what appears to be an accurate prediction of a September 12th date for an introduction of the next iPhone, cites the same source as saying Apple will refresh all of its iOS devices to use the same connector by year's end.

This would include the new iPhone 5, the the new iPod nano and iPod touch, the rumored 7-inch iPad mini, and an updated version of the current 9.7-inch iPad.

The information comes from the same sources that told iMore about the new, smaller Dock connector back in February, and about a mini Dock adapter to fit legacy accessories last month.
Hmmm. So at least it's a possibility now, not having to wait until next Spring for a proper fourth-generation iPad to have this new port. Seems Apple may try and switch everything over, ASAP. And, from here out, all these third-party companies will either create/sell adapters or modify their products to use this new design (and hope Apple again sticks with it for at least a decade so they're not having to discontinue and re-tool every few years).

Partial
Stallion

2012-08-06, 16:21

I think it makes sense to update the 3rd gen iPad with the new port as the only change. Then, release the full fledged 4th gen in the spring. I really think that if they're going to do switch ports, might as well do it before they sell one billion of them for Christmas. I guess I would be a little put off if the high end iPad had a deprecated component being sold through Christmas. I can't imagine them doing that.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-08-06, 16:35

Which raises an interesting point: what about iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, and iPad 2? They're still being sold. Is Apple going to release updated versions of these products as well?

I bet the 3GS ceases to be sold in the US when the new iPhone comes out as the 4 moves into the free with contract spot. So probably not the 3GS. But the 4 and 4S? Could go either way.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-06, 17:00

I doubt it. I think just the current-generation "flagship" type designs/products.

Can't imagine them doing it for the whole line like that. I'm not even sure how much longer the 3Gs will stick around, now that the 2010 iPhone 4 is poised to fit into that "free" spot soon.

At that point, assuming these rumors and leaks are true, Apple will have three phone lines (4, 4s and "5") sharing that similar banded design.

I suppose it could happen, if they're considering the 4 and 4s "current shipping models" and all.

I don't know. That's a lot of change/upheaval and change to the manufacturing/assembly process, although I'm sure it's not impossible or unsurmountable. Companies do it all the time*. It definitely helps point the way and get the ball rolling for all the third-party outfits to redo their stuff. If Apple can say "hey, we've changed all our stuff in one fell-swoop...", that would make an impact and surely act as a "spark" to others to hurry up not lag.

* I was originally going to say "companies bigger than Apple do it all the time", but realized that sounded weird and even inaccurate.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-08, 14:39

Interesting alleged new pic of alleged new small docking port on alleged new iPhone, allegedly coming September 12.

Unless there's some sort of angle/perspective distortion or illusion going on here, this new model looks a bit wider than the current one.

Also, it's looks as though the metal banding, instead of being a straight cut, is angled/beveled and occupies/covers the thickness of the white or black glass seen on the sides of the current models. So you see less glass, but the metal side extends a little further out, as an protruding bevel. Looks like there's not as much glass showing on the side as before.

That bevel/transition might make this a little more comfortable and "soft" to hold in the hand? At least for the few who don't use a case of some sort. I'm hoping to go "naked" on this next go around, and just use the thing as intended. Scratches and wear be damned...they look, and feel, better without a case.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-08-08, 14:55

Quote:
That bevel/transition might make this a little more comfortable and "soft" to hold in the hand? At least for the few who don't use a case of some sort. I'm hoping to go "naked" on this next go around, and just use the thing as intended. Scratches and wear be damned...they look, and feel, better without a case.
Mine falls out of my pocket without a case when I sit in my car. My iPhone 4, that is... I don't have one of the new ones yet! Maybe it being a bit wider will solve the problem.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-08-08, 17:04

If that's what the bottom of the new iPhone looks like, I'll eat my hat. Those oversized speaker grille holes just scream "Chinese knockoff."

addabox
Veteran Member

2012-08-09, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
If that's what the bottom of the new iPhone looks like, I'll eat my hat. Those oversized speaker grille holes just scream "Chinese knockoff."
I dunno. We've been seeing that particular design element pretty consistently over a series of alleged leaks. I could see that as an Ive-ian choice-- bold and graphic. No doubt there would be a very fine screen backing the holes up to protect the innards, and it may be that that particular layout allows for a louder or otherwise acoustically preferable sound.

I know we're used to Apple using micro-perferations for this kind of thing, but there's no reason that a grid of larger holes can't be functional and work within a general design idea. As always, we'll have to wait and see what any of this looks like in the flesh (assuming any of this is actually what the next iPhone looks like) before deciding. I remember thinking that the rumored sandwich design of the iPhone 4 looked odd and very "un-Apple like" in the discontinuity between the glass and metal band, but that turned out to be its signature flourish.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-10, 11:31

Nice article linked by John Siracusa.

A guy explains why he thinks these leaks are legit, and gets into specifics about the case design and construction.

I'm definitely going with white, if these are legit.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-08-10 at 12:06.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-13, 14:29

Good grief, this new iPhone can't arrive soon enough. This joint is deader than a ghost town lately.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-08-13, 15:17

Wow, if that's fake it's impressive. It's about time for me to get back into the smart phone world. Looks like I have something worth waiting for.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-08-13, 15:25

I'm curious if Apple will let you buy an unlocked CDMA iPhone.* I'd love to take grab a full-price iPhone and run to Virgin's $30 plan ($35 - $5 discount for autobill). But currently, you can only buy an unlocked GSM version. Has there been any hubbub about getting an unlocked iPhone for Virgin? Can you BYOPhone to Virgin's plans?

*Edit: wait, is the iPhone quad- or quint- or whatever-band now? Do all iPhones support both CDMA and GSM?

Last edited by Majost : 2012-08-13 at 15:38.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-13, 15:35

If these rumors about a September 12 event are accurate, then we're exactly one month out. Gonna be a long 30 days...

Torn between "do I try my best to snag one in the first 48-72 hours, or exhibit a little patience/sanity and give it a month or so for any horrendous bugs or glitches to come to light (and be addressed via 6.0.1)?"

Us gadget-happy dorks and our first-world dilemmas, huh? I guess if the above is the most pressing, critical thing I have to ponder, I'm doing pretty okay in the big scheme of things. I know I'll eat dinner tonight, and will sleep in a cozy, dry bed...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I've unfollowed a few prominent tech writers/pundits lately because hearing them squawk, complain and whine about the absolute silliest, most meaningless shit just gets too much after a while. Being (H)ypercritical and "daring" 24/7 doesn't always make for good, fulfilling reading.

Majost

2012-08-13, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I'm curious if Apple will let you buy an unlocked CDMA iPhone.* I'd love to take grab a full-price iPhone and run to Virgin's $30 plan ($35 - $5 discount for autobill). But currently, you can only buy an unlocked GSM version. Has there been any hubbub about getting an unlocked iPhone for Virgin? Can you BYOPhone to Virgin's plans?

*Edit: wait, is the iPhone quad- or quint- or whatever-band now? Do all iPhones support both CDMA and GSM?
Answering a few of my own questions:
  • No, the iPhone is still split between GSM and CDMA models. Doesn't seem like you can order CDMA unlocked directly from Apple.
  • No, it doesn't look like you can BYO Phone to Virgin Mobile's beyond talk plans. The DC affiliates have their own website, which makes it appear as though a BYO iPhone would run $60/month for unlimited everything (with no cheaper options available).

I'm still curious as to why Virgin isn't a full-fledged iPhone vendor... why doesn't Apple list them as an option on their store?

And yes, I'm with you, Paul. My half-broken 3GS is struggling to make it to the finish line!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-13, 16:05

Make it last another month...it can do it!

Strangely, I'm kinda in the same position I was this time two years ago. I loved my original 2007 iPhone, but, after three years, the battery just wasn't staying charged reliably and consistently. I was constantly needing to top it off, wherever I had the chance (car charger, wall chargers, syncing/charging to my Mac).

Despite loving everything about my two-year-old iPhone 4, I've noticed in the past six or so months that it isn't holding a charge and going through a day, sipping juice, like it once did. Which I suppose is the nature of these types of devices.

Long story short, if my iPhone 4 was still going full-tilt, battery-wise, the way it was 18 months ago, I'd be about half as interested in this new model (and upgrading). I'd love to be on a three-year cycle, but that gets into some real-world snags well into that third year, in terms of battery life, charging, etc.

I still blame iOS 5 on much of this, as my iPhone 4 took a sharp, noticeable dive in battery life/performance the moment I stepped up from iOS 4! They never really seemed to get it back, despite the other updates that came. Granted, iOS 5 has a lot more going on than 4, so I suppose that's a trade-off one should realize and accept.

Hell, why lie...it'll be fun, after five years, to have a white iPhone! Shake things up...

Majost

2012-08-14, 09:49

You know... you could just replace the battery... but I know you're just looking for an excuse to get the latest and greatest.

Of course when I tried that with my 3GS (admittedly a *much* more involved procedure) I destroyed the connector that conducts the signals to the earpiece, the brightness sensor and the proximity sensor. So now my phone is... more of a iPod. Unless I have headphones along, I can't hear the person on the other end. You know how sometimes you call someone and hope to get a voicemail? It's like that all the time!. My girlfriend calls it the perfect man-phone: I don't even have a choice -- I *can't* listen!

The battery lasts upwards of three days now, though! And for most of my uses (texting, emailing), it still works fine. But it has gotten so very dreadfully slow! iOS 5 hasn't been kind to it. Let the countdown begin!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-14, 10:28

At first I thought this CNET article was saying that the next iPhone would have more onboard storage (one of the things on my wish list), but they're talking about the RAM used by the processor. Why can't there be a better way to differentiate these things? Gah!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-14, 13:07

Quote:
You know... you could just replace the battery...
Yeah, I thought about that a while ago.

Quote:
...but I know you're just looking for an excuse to get the latest and greatest.
Guilty.

Eh, I figure $199 every two years is doable (especially if, as I will on this go-around) seek to offset that $199 some by selling my current iPhone (not holding onto it for historical value as I've done with my original 2007 model...I'm convinced that is going to be the conversation piece to end all conversation pieces, somewhere down the road).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-20, 15:57

This certainly makes things seem more dialed-in and certain. The holdouts for "hoaxes" and really elaborate mockups is fading weekly. Parts are now fitting perfectly together...

Interesting.

This new iPhone - assuming all this is legit - is even more viewed/known about than the iPhone 4 was during the whole "bargate" thing two years ago! This might be one of Apple's worst-kept secrets! We're getting about a month straight now of body and internal component shots, on an almost-daily basis.

At this rate, I figure we'll get the complete specs, pricing, packaging design (and a commercial) between now and the morning of September 12. Short of just firing (or shooting) everyone in all these overseas factories, I guess there isn't much Apple can do. All it takes is one desperate, mischievous or attention-starved person in the chain to blow the wraps off supposed "secret" new products. So many companies play a part in these things, and with cell phones cams and the Internet being what they are (we're always a mere 1-2 clicks away from snapping/uploading/posting anything you desire...and you just have to do it once; if it's halfway legit and takes hold/catches the right people's attention, it'll make its way around the world in hours, if not minutes).

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

Surely we'll see the next iMac before Apple officially announces it.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-08-20, 18:09

Yeah. The only chance for a completely new look is if the leaks are of the new "second tier" iPhone, and Apple decides to move the entire line to 4" screens at once to prevent fragmentation. But I doubt it--I'm not sure what else they could add to the flagship model beyond what has been leaked.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-22, 14:13

Another episode in our ongoing series, Doubling Down on Secrecy...

Looks nice.

Stay tuned for next week's installment, iPhone 5: the Complete User Manual & Specification Listing.

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-08-22, 14:44

Is it wrong of me to dig the new dock connector? It's proprietary, and that's terrible; it'll likely continue the Made-for-iPod fee practice, and that's terrible, too. But I dig it.