User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.
Page 10 of 10 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10]  Thread Tools
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-11-09, 07:57

Yup. That's how you'd play Mario Kart in online multiplayer, download free demos near the Nintendo stand at a Target store, etc etc.
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-11-18, 09:08

ok, so I've been really mia on the boards lately and just stumbled upon this thread. Having to make the decision between the PSP & DS Lite at first was tough but I ended up getting the DS for my GF b/c she really wanted it. I must say that I was super impressed with its small size and more of a "game" system. While the graphics are much better on the PSP i see that more as a media player then a gaming system. I'm interested to see how the DS works with the Wii, should be interesting.

"Nintendo is the Apple of game systems..." how perfect!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-11-18, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpace View Post
ok, so I've been really mia on the boards lately and just stumbled upon this thread. Having to make the decision between the PSP & DS Lite at first was tough but I ended up getting the DS for my GF b/c she really wanted it. I must say that I was super impressed with its small size and more of a "game" system. While the graphics are much better on the PSP i see that more as a media player then a gaming system. I'm interested to see how the DS works with the Wii, should be interesting.

"Nintendo is the Apple of game systems..." how perfect!
I had a PSP for a while, but I sold it a long time ago and now I have a DS Lite. While it doesn't match perfect, I must say the white plastic of the DS looks pretty sexy sitting next to my MacBook.

If you pick up a DS, make sure you pick up Mario Kart DS. It's by far one of the top games available for the system. I also recommend New Super Mario Bros. if you were into the original games. I played through it in just a few hours, but I'm still replaying levels. Look for some cheap GBA games, too. I picked up Zelda: Link to the Past yesterday for $20, and the classic Super Mario World can be had for the same price.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-11-18, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I had a PSP for a while, but I sold it a long time ago and now I have a DS Lite. While it doesn't match perfect, I must say the white plastic of the DS looks pretty sexy sitting next to my MacBook.

If you pick up a DS, make sure you pick up Mario Kart DS. It's by far one of the top games available for the system. I also recommend New Super Mario Bros. if you were into the original games. I played through it in just a few hours, but I'm still replaying levels. Look for some cheap GBA games, too. I picked up Zelda: Link to the Past yesterday for $20, and the classic Super Mario World can be had for the same price.
the new black onyx version of the DS Lite is pretty fresh, and the New Super Mario rocks, Tetris of course and Brain Age owns my mornings....
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-11-28, 01:45

Picked up Mario Kart DS if anyone wants to race sometime
Jasoco

2006-12-25, 20:10

I got Yoshi's Island DS today. I only got to World 3 so far (It seems easy so far.) but it's pretty good so far. The level design is pretty good. Compared to the original though it doesn't compare.

The graphical style on the original was more of a hand-drawn kid style like a kid took some crayons and drew the levels. It was great. The DS version seems a lot less hand-drawn.

The music is also a lot less inspired. The originals sound was awesome. The music was awesome. Now the music is a lot less fun. It's not as memorable. Sad really.

The use of two screens is unique, but once in a while it seems to get in the way. That empty space between the screens I mean. Not horrible though.

The addition of other babies makes for some neat level design. Some areas require other babies. So you switch the babies.

Still, in the end, Yoshi's Island > Yoshi's Island DS. But not by so much that YIDS isn't still enjoyable.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-12-25, 21:49

Just got a DS Lite and Final Fantasy 3. If anyone wants to add me to Mognet, just ask Been wanting a new portable forever (last was the original Game Boy Color, aka the purple one before the awesome lime green...), and the only Final Fantasy I'd yet to finish just made it an awesome gift. I'll be picking up some other games rather soon, I'm sure Can't turn down Mario 64 DS or Mario Kart DS. New Super Mario Bros. looks absolutely awesome, too.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-26, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Just got a DS Lite and Final Fantasy 3. If anyone wants to add me to Mognet, just ask Been wanting a new portable forever (last was the original Game Boy Color, aka the purple one before the awesome lime green...), and the only Final Fantasy I'd yet to finish just made it an awesome gift. I'll be picking up some other games rather soon, I'm sure Can't turn down Mario 64 DS or Mario Kart DS. New Super Mario Bros. looks absolutely awesome, too.
All three of those games you mentioned are great. I have them all, and New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS get a ton of play time on my DS. Mario 64 gets less than the others, but it's still a great game.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2006-12-26, 16:23

I'm having trouble setting up the WiFi connection through my Linksys router. I've got a WRT54G v.5. I use WEP, so that isn't the issue. I'm getting error #51300 or something like that, saying that I can't access the router. Anyone able to help me with this? I'd rather avoid buying the USB connector if I could, but there's a ton of hidden stuff in Final Fantasy 3 right at the beginning of the game that requires WiFi.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-26, 16:46

Is your router in mixed(b/g) mode? I think it needs to be for the DS to work.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2006-12-26, 16:57

Mine is in g.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-12-26, 17:02

Quote:
Mine is in g.

that sentence just doesn't sit right with me....brrrrrr, reading it gave me the chills, but i guess that is a bit of an inside joke (hopefully not too inside, if you know what i mean....)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2006-12-26, 17:08

LOL! Sorry, definitely wasn't meant that way
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-26, 17:13

Quote:
Mine is in g.

put it in mixed and tell us what happens.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2006-12-26, 17:16

Sweetness! That gets rep points
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2006-12-26, 18:59

i love my black DS lite... mario kart is AMAZING. on our last volleyball trip 5 guys (including me) had the game and we all played together wirelessly. Best bus ride EVER
digitalprimate

2006-12-27, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
i love my black DS lite... mario kart is AMAZING. on our last volleyball trip 5 guys (including me) had the game and we all played together wirelessly. Best bus ride EVER
Did no-one get sick from playing in the bus? lucky guys.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-01-03, 00:16

Have any of you played Elite Beat Agents? I got it as a Christmas gift and it's awesome. If you haven't played it, you should give it a try. Beware because it's addictive as hell. Highly recommended and a great use of the DS's capabilities.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-03, 19:28

Everybody who has MarioKart DS needs to check out this video. It's full of shortcuts for tons of the game's tracks. Some of them are just obvious off-track cut-throughs using mushrooms, but others just blew my mind. Be sure to pay careful attention to the blue shell dodge at the end of the video.

http://media.nintendo-europe.com/com...Fm5lEGwEos.mov

Jasoco

2007-01-07, 20:43

I've had it. It's awesome. But as usual (Like I did with the prequel "Ouendan" imported from Japan.) I'm at the point I can't pass. Fortunately it's right where I set my limit.

Now I'm waiting for a sequel to either game. Ouendan 2 or EBA 2. Either one will be awesome.

Still playing through Yoshi. I'm at World 5-7. "Superhard Acrobatics". Who the hell designed this level? And does anyone know if there's a World 6? The original had a World 6. I'd hate to think the game ends after this level and the following castle.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-21, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp View Post
I was just at IGN now checking out what games are coming out on the Nintendo DS since I am thinking about getting one. I found Ridge Racer. I love racing games and one i saw the graphics of the DS game i was like wow, ps1 graphics on a portable!! amazing i want it!!

a few minutes later i go to the PSP page also on ign and i see screenshots of the PSP version of ridge racer.

what a fucking big difference!!

so will the DS succeed? i doubt, i think it will another virtual boy. the second screen isnt that special. the stylus i doubt will be practical and the graphics.. well compared to the GBA SP they are cool, but compared to the PSP they are so 90's..

the games? PSP's line up sounds a lot more interesting with large PS2 franchises moving to PSP. The DS lineup is similar to the gamecubes... crap (no offence to anyone.. i own a gamecube myself and not a ps2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidius View Post
Yeah, the idea of two screens is unique.. but not that great for games. Especially when you are sacrificing raw graphic power for it.

I am going to be buying a PSP. It's sexy and wide-screen. It'll match the U2 iPod I plan on purchasing, and my 17" Powerbook. =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It's a mini-version of a system originally released in 1995, for crying out loud. It is capable of 1995 era graphics. The PSP is in several respects better hardware than the PS2, which is 5 years fresher than the N64.

[...]

It's a shame that it's only the old-school Nintendo fans that actually see the DS's impending disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
And the other problem is that Nintendo will continue to rely on their old franchises to bring in the cash.

This thread is great.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-09-21, 05:25

Yep we were wrong, except in Japan. A lot of the blame is Sony's, they haven't changed their approach to the console market since the 90s.

The DS has had a great run, but the question is perhaps more valid now...does Nintendo know what it's doing? The 3DS hasn't been a runaway success. There seems to be a complete disconnection between the DS department and the Wii department. Just look at the "Slide Pad" add-on. Did the Wii U team not inform the DS guys of their controller plans at all?

With the growth we're seeing in global smartphone shipments, Nintendo needs to consider making phone hardware and/or selling titles on other platforms. So far they've scoffed at those ideas.

Last edited by Eugene : 2011-09-21 at 10:43.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-09-21, 08:57

If they could get over the American company bit, I would think that Nintendo and Apple would have a lot to talk about. Nintendo might be interested in moving into the portable/handset market if the hardware were tightly controlled enough.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-09-21, 10:07

I agree. Ninty is at very high risk of riding their platform rigidity into the ground. They've already had to adjust - usually, they make money on their hardware from day 1 but I can't imagine that the 3DS, with its huge and early price cut, is letting them continue this trend.

And in games? Who would spend $35 for the next Lego... when you can get it for $5 on the app store? Ninty's problem is that they targeted the causal gamer and that market is not interested in niche hardware like the 3DS when there's a perfectly capable system on their phones. I'm telling you - they need to buy webOS before it's too late.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-09-21, 10:23

I guess I'm one of the few who still want dedicated controls on my gaming machine. Guess that's why almost all of my portable gaming is now done on my iPad, because the screenspace covered by my thumbs is much smaller than on my iPhone.

Also, most iPhone games have nowhere near the depth that DS games include. Just look at Zelda RPGs vs. iOS RPGs. The deep content just isn't there. Same with platformers (notable exception: Babylonian Twins). What iOS platformer compares with either Mario (DS) or Little Big Planet (PSP/PSV)?

For 5 minute fun (Angry Birds! Tiny Heroes!, Rage, Infinity Blade, etc), iOS is great. There has never been a better poop companion. But for in-depth gaming? Not so much.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-09-21, 10:50

Play Galaxy on Fire. Like EV Nova only for the iPad.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-09-21, 10:50

I think WebOS is an unsupportable deathtrap for anyone remotely interested in buying it. What Nintendo provides that is valuable is creativity and content. They don't need to buy an OS when they can throw a skin on top of Android.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-09-21, 12:16

Oh sure, throw a skin on Android so it can sneak past the sentries and slaughter us all. Or migrate in from the outworlds. Or blend in with the crew.

Fuck, nerd cred has overwhelmed my instincts for brevity in humor.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-09-21, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I think WebOS is an unsupportable deathtrap for anyone remotely interested in buying it. What Nintendo provides that is valuable is creativity and content. They don't need to buy an OS when they can throw a skin on top of Android.
They don't need to support the legacy OS if they buy the OS. Besides, putting a skin on Android means they are going to be surrendering control of their device. Like Apple, I don't think they would ever go for that.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
FuzzyYakz

2014-06-28, 06:56

These last few posts are hilarious.