User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPad, MacBook/Pro & iMac/Mac Pro. I want a Universal sync.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad, MacBook/Pro & iMac/Mac Pro. I want a Universal sync.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2010-03-08, 11:45

Really, I want to see that from iPad (and it's PC equivalent software) to have nearly the exactly the same experience. Documents/Data to auto sync, software to expand on all computers via wifi ethernet like the MacBook Air and CD share its. The mac ecosystem made even easier. The iPad apart of this with products like The Omni Group's software and iWorks and future programs. Buy the software, expand to all your apple products. And in the future, iPhones. Software like iWorks should just come with a free redeem for the store. Buying everything separately seems almost like a gyp.

To a lesser and more realistic extent is there any software that makes you desktop parallel with your laptop in the sense What you see on you desktop is what you see on your desktop with little effort?

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-03-08, 14:11

I've heard rumors that such a beast is planned for 10.7.

It sure would be nice to see Apple make a simplified and functional "data syncing for the Rest of Us".
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-03-08, 14:13

I think the next major revision of Mobileme will accomplish this for me along with better file/document management in SDK 4.0 (I'm assuming)

I'm willing to pay for a solution that works well so I've invested in Mobileme.

omgwtfbbq
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-03-08, 20:46

I've been asking for a way to keep my laptop and desktop in sync for nearly a decade. Hopefully the iPad/iPhone situation forces their hands.

This is an inexcusable failure by Apple. Since they killed the Duo concept, they should have been working on this area.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-08, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I've heard rumors that such a beast is planned for 10.7.

It sure would be nice to see Apple make a simplified and functional "data syncing for the Rest of Us".
I think he's also referring to syncing of applications. As for data, I'm really satisfied with Dropbox.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2010-03-11, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I've been asking for a way to keep my laptop and desktop in sync for nearly a decade. Hopefully the iPad/iPhone situation forces their hands.

This is an inexcusable failure by Apple. Since they killed the Duo concept, they should have been working on this area.
20 years later, I'm still deeply disappointed by the demise of the PowerBook Duo. These days my work laptop, a Dell subnotebook with a dock that supports dual LCD displays, beats the Duo in power and functionality. No synching needed. But, of course, it runs Winblows.

For my PowerBook, iMac, iPhone, and soon-to-be iPad (I'm pre-ordering tomorrow!), there's still no good solution to carry all of my stuff with me. We'll see what Apple and 3rd party developers can do with the iPad.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Anthem

2010-03-19, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
As for data, I'm really satisfied with Dropbox.
Absolutely. I'm really curious to see what the userland of the iPad looks like. Can I sync my data using dropbox and edit it using iWork? Or is that data trapped in that specific app's sandbox?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-03-19, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I think he's also referring to syncing of applications. As for data, I'm really satisfied with Dropbox.
Dropbox does this so much better than Apple does. The thing is, Apple's iDisk is set up and *should* be able to do what Dropbox does but just doesn't. I would love to see Apple up their system to meet or exceed Dropbox's so I could stop paying for both. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-19, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Absolutely. I'm really curious to see what the userland of the iPad looks like. Can I sync my data using dropbox and edit it using iWork? Or is that data trapped in that specific app's sandbox?
Man I hope so. There's a Dropbox app for the iPhone, so I assume that's what it does. That's why I only went for the 16 GB version, figuring I'll mostly use cloud storage.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-20, 10:52

I've written/asked about this exact thing here, on at least two occasions.

IMO, it shouldn't be up to a third-party app (as nice as Dropbox and others may be). I'm actually shocked that, six major revisions in to OS X, Apple hasn't addressed this very thing. Maybe it would've been premature in the 10.1-10.3 era, but from Tiger on, that represents the "meat" of Apple's popularity and zooming sales. Meaning "there are lots of households, now, with multiple Macs".

Probably more than ever before.

The fact there isn't some system preference (or even individual application preference) utilizing Bonjour, AirPort and whatever else, where a simple check-box or pull-down menu allows you to configure automatic song, photo or document syncing to various desired Macs is a real puzzler.

Example: my Mom just returned from a 12-day trip to Anaheim and Seattle, where she's taken a boatload of pictures. As she's been gone, every night at the hotel or her friend's house, she uploads that days photos to her MacBook. She performs the magic wand enhancement (which really makes a nice difference), does red-eye removal, straightens and crops them as needed. She's taken some really nice pics (she's e-mailed a few along the way).

Now she gets back and wouldn't it be nice if all that work she's already done could easily (that's the key word here) be synced over to her Mac mini's iPhoto album, with alterations/edits intact? Built into the system (she'd have a checkbox selected in her two iPhoto - or iTunes or whatever else - that says "keep libraries synced" or words to that effect.

When she gets home, the two Macs "see" each other (we know this is already possible), they compare iMovie databases and the proper files are synced over to the machine that needs them.

That's the Apple way.

As it is, she's either going to re-import her stuff in, raw (not RAW), and perform all those edits again. Or dig through the actual file system (which is kinda confusing to me, never mind her) and flash drive or otherwise cart them over to the Mac mini manually.

Neither of those are as elegant, simple and "goof-proof" as my wish above.

So, yeah...I want Universal sync to. And I want it to be part of the OS (and not hinging on MobileMe), and, more importantly, not some third-party product that may or may not exist at some point (there's no guarantee Dropbox will be around forever, so then what?). At least if it's built into the system, like Exposé, Time Machine, QuickLook, etc., there's a reasonable expectation of longevity and future development/improvement.

There. My Saturday morning "gimme".

Partial
Stallion

2010-03-20, 11:28

I want this built into Time Machine.

Have it take an image of the OS, for example, and upload it to the cloud. Then, as I work on something, snap a new image to the cloud with the changes and push it out to the other machines synched up. This sounds like an awesome solution to me!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...