"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"The New iPad" (The 2012 Model)
Page 10 of 13 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  Next Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-19, 01:37

That's way too fast. I'm still on my first charge (29% now) after two days of use. Watched 5 hours of video in that time, along with pleanty of web browsing, get apps on the app store etc. Battery life rocks!!! (WIFI model).
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-19, 06:36

Slightly off topic: Photo Stream is using AmazonS3 according to Little Snitch.

Really enjoying iPad. iBooks is wonderful.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-19, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
That's way too fast. I'm still on my first charge (29% now) after two days of use. Watched 5 hours of video in that time, along with pleanty of web browsing, get apps on the app store etc. Battery life rocks!!! (WIFI model).
I think it's way too fast too. The heat is making me think that something's not right. It's not hard to notice and you'd have to be lying if you said you didn't feel it. Since I don't believe that most people are liars, I think it's a problem with my iPad.

I did get that second iPad delivered to my office. I was going to return it today but I'm going to crack it open and see what it's like. I hope it's fine and I'll just return the first as defective. I'll keep you posted.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-19, 10:43

Could be a defective battery, mine hardly even feels warm after an hour of watching videos.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-19, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Could be a defective battery, mine hardly even feels warm after an hour of watching videos.
I've been using the new one on LTE for about 20 minutes and it's definitely cooler and the battery is running down much more slowly.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-19, 12:58

Much better so far. I used the iPad during a session and it was on the whole hour. Not necessarily being used but it was downloading apps in the background and the screen was on (dimmed down but on). It remained cool to the touch and only dropped about 7%. I think that other one had something going on with its battery.

A couple observations: my notebook apps need to be updated to use the retina display. The ink was very pixelated. The other observation is that the screen seems to have a much wider range of illumination than the iPad 1. For example , on the iPad 1, the screen was bright enought at lowest brightness to be used in my office. This one, it was too dark to see at lowest brightness.

addabox
Veteran Member

2012-03-19, 15:56

So Apple is now saying they sold 3 millions of these puppies over the weekend. Looks like Tim's got that supply chain thing pretty dialed in....
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-19, 17:43

For comparison's sake: Andy Rubin was sorta bragging about having sold 12 million Android tabs. Total.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-19, 17:59

Just got off the phone with my dad and stepmom over in SC. They were supposed to get their new iPad (32GB, black, Wifi-only) on the 26th, then got an update last week saying the 21st (Wednesday) and they had a knock on their door this morning and it was the delivery guy, a full week early from the initial delivery date.

They, too, are noticing heat and what they think might be faster-than-before battery drain. I told them about your situation, torifile, and they said they'd keep an eye on things the next day or two and respond accordingly. They're going to Scotland for two weeks in mid-May, so I know they'll want to get things straightened out well before then (they're taking it with them, of course).
Lyngo

2012-03-19, 18:44

Today, I found out that my iPad has one dead pixel. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm really kind of confused as to what action to take. What would you do in this case? Would you take your iPad back to the store?

I don't want to be too picky, but there's a certain level of expectation that I have. Anyways, I don't want to sound too rash and I don't want to end up with a machine that's even worse, but this one pixel is kind of annoying. I hope I'm not being too trivial.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-19, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyngo View Post
Today, I found out that my iPad has one dead pixel. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm really kind of confused as to what action to take. What would you do in this case? Would you take your iPad back to the store?

I don't want to be too picky, but there's a certain level of expectation that I have. Anyways, I don't want to sound too rash and I don't want to end up with a machine that's even worse, but this one pixel is kind of annoying. I hope I'm not being too trivial.
The pixels are so small that you'll probably never notice it unless you constantly look for it. My parents 27" iMac has one dead pixel and in normal use, I can never tell its there. When I look for it, I can see it, but it's a, "whatever" for me since its so small. Especially if that is the only thing wrong with the iPad. What happens if you exchange it for an iPad that overheats like torifile? Or if it has bad light leaks? If it was the iPad 1/2 with its bigger pixels, then yeah that would bug me since a dead pixel would stand out more.

But, if you do want to exchange it, do it now since you're within the 14 day window. As if you warranty it, AppleCare will say its within their tolerances as I believe anything less than 4 dead pixels they won't replace it.

giggity
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2012-03-19, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
So Apple is now saying they sold 3 millions of these puppies over the weekend. Looks like Tim's got that supply chain thing pretty dialed in....
How many DHL planes is that anyways???
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-19, 20:22

This situation has me wishing there was a way to do a partial iCloud restore. I have to restore my entire iPad's setup because there are some things I just can't do without and I haven't idea how to easily get them over to a new iPad. If I could just say "restore this document" it'd be much easier I could leave a lot of the cruft from 2 years of heavy iPad use behind me.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-03-19, 20:49

Check out iExplorer. It's free and will let you browse your iPad and allow you to read/write data in app space. No jail breaking needs to occur either.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-20, 06:25

So far so good except for the iTunes iPad app. It quits on me, crashes, is buggy and sluggish. Anyone else have issues with it?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-20, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
So far so good except for the iTunes iPad app. It quits on me, crashes, is buggy and sluggish. Anyone else have issues with it?
I have that happen on my iPad 2 and as a matter of fact on my iPhone when I play one specific album for whatever reason. Haven't been able to figure out why.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-21, 22:24

A couple of stray observations - the screen, on full brightness, seems to have a pretty marked impact on the heat of the thing. When I use my iPad during a session, I dim the screen pretty low so it's not distracting to me and the thing might as well be off for all the heat it puts out. When I use it on full brightness, the back is noticeably warmer. Even 75% brightness, the screen doesn't get warm enough to be noticeable. I wonder if this is why the issue wasn't addressed in any reviews I read.

The thing is, this screen is so brilliant and bright, it's hard to imagine needing to use it at 100% all the time.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-03-21, 22:51

That might be why I haven't had any of the reported heat issues, I run the screen at 50% brightness or less most of the time.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-22, 15:20

I bought a BOOKback for my iPad. They gave me a link for referrals. If you use it, you'll get 10% off. I have no idea what I get but there it is.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-22, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I bought a BOOKback for my iPad. They gave me a link for referrals. If you use it, you'll get 10% off. I have no idea what I get but there it is.
Let us know how that is. I've thought about getting a bookback for my iPhone. They make great products.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-22, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That looks pretty cool. I'm interested to know how it feels.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-22, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Let us know how that is. I've thought about getting a bookback for my iPhone. They make great products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
That looks pretty cool. I'm interested to know how it feels.
It seems like exactly what I want out of a cover. Thin and providing some grip to the back without it being too hard to put on. It's a little pricey but I already spent nearly $1000 on this thing so what's another $25. I'll let you all know how it is.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-22, 19:09

Can I just say how much I love this thing? It's great!
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-23, 14:25

I played a game on my new iPad and noticed the "overheating issue" that seems to be going around......

Seriously, if the heat I felt through the back of the iPad has everyone screaming, " Heatgate!!!" I have to laugh so hard...... Yes, older iPads may have run cooler, but they didn't have the guts of the new iPad. They didn't have the new cooling method the new iPad has( the A5X cover is now a heatsink and the aluminum back helps to dissipate the heat). So it shouldn't be a surprise when under load, the back gets a tad bit warm. Hell, the warmth I felt is not even as warm as my MBP gets when operating under light load......

And don't get me started on, "charginggate".......

I swear some Apple fans want to create a new "gate" every time Apple releases a new product..... Or some people lack any concept of physics/common sense......

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 15:24

Can someone list/tell me the stock, built-in apps that come in the 2012 iPad, out of the box? The wifi model, specifically. There's s list at Apple, but I don't think it's complete.

Is this pic accurate, the 20 shown?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-23, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Can someone list/tell me the stock, built-in apps that come in the 2012 iPad, out of the box? The wifi model, specifically. There's s list at Apple, but I don't think it's complete.

Is this pic accurate, the 20 shown?
Yep!

Note that the bookshelf-looking icon is Newsstand. iBooks isn't included out of the box, but is of course a free download from the App Store.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-03-23, 16:01

That should be the stock apps for the new iPad and iPad 2.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-23, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yep!

Note that the bookshelf-looking icon is Newsstand. iBooks isn't included out of the box, but is of course a free download from the App Store.
That was what confused me, as Apple's "built-in apps" page at their site includes both Newsstand and iBooks.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps/

So the iPad doesn't have stock or weather, or compass and voice memo?

But it does have Photo Booth.

Gets confusing...
Bonn89

2012-03-23, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
So the iPad doesn't have stock or weather, or compass and voice memo?
Correct! Strange but true.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-23, 17:59

The iPad also lacks the iPhone's Calculator and Clock apps, presumably because, like Compass and Voice Recorder, they'd look pretty silly full-screen.