User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod Mini and digital imaging

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Mini and digital imaging
El Guardo

Send a message via AIM to El Guardo Send a message via MSN to El Guardo Send a message via Yahoo to El Guardo  
2004-09-07, 05:12

On a couple of occasions now I've read that the iPod mini can be connected directly to a digital camera for image transferal - the mini is therefore effectively a portable hard drive used for dumping full compact flash cards.

Can anyone confirm this? For the record, I've perused ipodlounge.com and am aware of the chipset features of the mini and the potential for digital image viewing - but I'm not concerned with this. Rather, just the ability to connect a firewire or USB cable directly from camera to mini for the transfer of images from full flash cards.
¡Damned!

2004-09-07, 05:55

The 'normal' iPod (3G and 4G) can use the Belkin Digital Camera Link, but it's not mini compatible as of yet.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-09-07, 06:29

The mini's hard drive is a CompactFlash-based MicroDrive, i.e. it uses the same connector that many digital cameras use. If you were to crack-open up the mini and pull out the hard drive, you could use that as storage with your camera. The mini's hard drive is worth much more than the mini itself, btw (economically speaking).

However, there is currently no interface that I know of that lets you hook up the digital camera to the mini and *then* use the hard drive as storage space. Whilst that would be easy to do, only Apple could do it, or the iPodLinux project.
El Guardo

Send a message via AIM to El Guardo Send a message via MSN to El Guardo Send a message via Yahoo to El Guardo  
2004-09-07, 07:35

Thank you for such prompt replies 709 and chucker....
JagSeal

2004-09-17, 07:15

Apple has disabled the CompactFlash mode of the MicroDrive they're using in the mini...you can only use the drive as IDE-based storage. Sorry.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-17, 07:53

I am most curious to know whether we could swap the replace the IBM/Hitachi MicroDrive in the iPod mini with a solid-state Compact Flash card to extend battery life and shock-proofness. I would gladly trade a 4GB HDD-based mini for a 2GB flash-based one if it were to increase battery life significantly and make it completely shock-proof.

As for connecting a digital camera directly to an iPod (regular or mini), I think it would be useful. Belkin's "solution" is much too clumsy. It more than doubles the size of a regular iPod.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.