User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Saving iTunes Music Store Videos (new info for QT7)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Saving iTunes Music Store Videos (new info for QT7)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
nassau

2005-06-02, 13:09

ok, i just thought u might have seen it somewhere in the bowels of the iTMS...
if u do, please let me know.
HDW

2005-07-18, 03:33

Hello Mr. Brad. New recruit here.
A small inconvenience for you. Mind letting me know how the hell we bring this 'terminal' window? Is this the Terminal Server program? Then I am downloading it from the MS site. (Since I did not find in Control Panel> Windows Components.)
Please also explain what is iTMS. (Okay, got this one, must be iTunes Music Store.)
Incidentally, someone above in the post said about movie trailers being different than the music videos. And it is the movie trailers that I want to save. So if this is not possible, then please let me know the difference between these.
Somehow, I can't find the directory "/private/tmp/###/TemporaryItems/QTPluginTemp######". So does it mean that this is available only while saving the music video files and not the movie trailers? Why??!

iTunes: 4.9 (Never worked on this program before.)
Quick Time: 6.5 (Never will download the 7th ver; thanks for the kind information.)

Last edited by HDW : 2005-07-18 at 03:48.
HDW

2005-07-18, 03:54

Okay. So it was only you who said that.
So now mind explaining why we can't, or how we can, save the movie trailers?
Thx.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-18, 09:39

Sorry, HDW. These instructions work for Mac users only. Take note that you're on an Apple-oriented discussion board.

The "Terminal" program I mentioned is a command-line interface for Mac OS X. It's similar to (but a bit more powerful than) the MS-DOS Prompt and much more akin to a Unix/Linux shell. Since Mac OS X has its roots in FreeBSD and Darwin and the world of Unix, it includes many open source Unix/Linux tools. The tcpdump command I mentioned above is one such tool that comes from it's Unix heritage.

Honestly, I haven't a clue where (or if!) the temporary QuickTime files are stored on Windows. If someone else figures it out, feel free to add it to this thread with a clear note stating that it is for Windows users only.

Previously ast3r3x was talking about getting movies out of web pages and that's something different altogether. As long as they're loaded in iTunes, movie trailers should be able to be saved the same way as the music videos. They all pipe through the same trick.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-07-18, 10:07

An easy way to get both the link and the server is this line:

Code:
sudo tcpdump -i en0 -A -s 256 | grep -E 'GET .*mov HTTP|Host: '
I haven't actually tested it, but it should work.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-18, 10:10

Yup, it sure does. Nice work!
gsxrboy

2005-07-27, 08:21

Works great Okay so how does one jigger it to make it save a rtsp stream then? You can use the same trick to get the say wwdc stream info filename and using the ? i on the qt stream vid to get the rtsp server name but how do we mesh the two together into a d/led file?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-27, 09:53

That's totally different. You cannot save RTSP streams via QuickTime and they are not cached on the drive like the files described in this procedure are. You will need to use a third-party program such as VLC or openRTSP to accomplish that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.