User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"Free Apple Care" At UK Higher Education Apple Store!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Free Apple Care" At UK Higher Education Apple Store!!
neiltc13

2006-04-14, 19:59

I just wanted to bring the following image to everyone's attention, it surprised me (in a very, very good way!)

(https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352...d_announce.gif)

Unfortunately they dont seem to have updated the T&Cs yet so I cant find out just how limited this might be.

So basically anyone who buys a new computer from the Apple Store for Higher Education in the UK now gets 3 years of warranty instead of 1. Brilliant news and has helped me justify buying a new iMac.

Thanks Apple!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-14, 20:02

But they still can't spell "labor".
neiltc13

2006-04-14, 20:04

Labour is the correct spelling of the word in British English. I think you'll find that it predates any sort of time that people were talking about labor, and that the word doesn't actually pronounce properly without the "u".
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-14, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
Labour is the correct spelling of the word in British English.
Can't take a joke can you.

Quote:
[T]he word doesn't actually pronounce properly without the "u".
Seeing as the "u" is silent, I fail to see how that's the case.
neiltc13

2006-04-14, 20:09

The "u" changes the pronunciation of the "a" from "ahh" to "ayy". We're a bit off topic here.
chucker

2006-04-14, 20:12

Quote:
The "u" changes the pronunciation of the "a" from "ahh" to "ayy".
So "later" should be "lateur"?

Quote:
We're a bit off topic here.
Indeed. It's good news, though in all honesty, 3 years is a fairly normal period in Europe. I've always found Apple's default length rather crummy for European standards.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-04-14, 20:41

Quote:
The "u" changes the pronunciation of the "a" from "ahh" to "ayy". We're a bit off topic here.
No, it doesn't. It modifies the "o" (Although, in this case, there isn't a modification - as chucker said, it's silent). In "labor" the "o" takes care of the "a" modification.

As for on-topic-ness... What are the chances of this being extended to the rest of the world?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-15, 03:41

It's not exactly Applecare, but still, very welcome. Although as another poster said, probably done to avoid the wrath of the Sale of Goods act*, rather than any altruism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *
Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).
"Fit for purpose" and "satisfactory quality" have been taken to mean that they should last a reasonable ammount of time, and as tested in the UK courts, 1 year is insufficent for computing equipment. It pays to know your rights.

And as regards: labor/labour. The American spelling is actually older than the UK spelling. Which is "right?" Both. Older != Right. Do you still spell like Shakespeare?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-15, 04:51

Quote:
Do you still spell like Shakespeare?
[completely off topic] - No ... but I love the expression "making the beast with two backs."
ericarthur

2006-04-15, 10:20

Pish, eyes and lips
JK47

2006-04-15, 10:44

Any chance of this coming to the US store?
neiltc13

2006-04-15, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47
Any chance of this coming to the US store?
No, it's part of the HE National Agreement in the UK which is basically a contract between Apple and the UK institutions that take part.

There is a seperate, standard Education store in the UK too, customers of which don't get the 3 years of warranty.
Dr_LHA

2006-04-15, 13:17

Quote:
Labour is the correct spelling of the word in British English. I think you'll find that it predates any sort of time that people were talking about labor, and that the word doesn't actually pronounce properly without the "u".
While we're being picky here, there is no such language as "British English". England is part of the British Isles and as such all English spoken there is "English", no prefix is necessary is it is being spoken in its native land. All other varations of the English language require prefixes as they are not being spoken as it is spoken in England.

:smokey:
CFP

2006-04-15, 14:16

Looks like you've opened the proverbial can of worms here, Chucker...

Taking this news at face value... I am stoked. By not having to purchase Applecare, I'll have an extra £150 to customize my MacBook. It's gonna be the bollocks.

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
chucker

2006-04-15, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_LHA
England is part of the British Isles
So, by that logic, Scots and Welsh are lesser English speakers?

I suppose if you're going down that road, the North West of Germany must be the native region of English, seeing as that's where the "Eng" prefix originates from.
tannenhauser

2006-04-18, 15:53

labor comes from latin, theres no u in their spelling, guess you british folks are wrong
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-04-19, 03:40

I'm assuming this only applies to new purchases. I just bought Apple Care this last week for a year old machine. Hope I haven't just wasted my money.

Can anyone clarify it?

Regards
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2006-04-19, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannenhauser
labor comes from latin, theres no u in their spelling, guess you british folks are wrong
Actually, no, English labour comes via Middle English, from Old French labo(u)r, and thence from Latin. The spelling looks to be a late Latin corruption carried through the various means of transmission. Just because something looks like Latin doesn't mean you can write off 1,500 years of linguistic development for the sake of some kind of mythical ur-spelling.

At any rate, this is a ridiculous argument. Neither the American nor the English spelling systems make any sense. The decision as to which is best is entirely subjective and sentimental.
chucker

2006-04-19, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
At any rate, this is a ridiculous argument. Neither the American nor the English spelling systems make any sense. The decision as to which is best is entirely subjective and sentimental.
I don't think anyone argues that it's subjective.