Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Problem installing Apple Remote Desktop 3

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Problem installing Apple Remote Desktop 3
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-22, 12:12

I installed Apple Remote Desktop 3 a couple weeks ago. After installing it did a upgrade to Remote Desktop 3.1 automatically. After doing this I was unable to run Remote Desktop 3. I can't remember for sure but I think it said it was either missing the Remote Desktop Admin or either Remote Desktop Client.
I figured the best thing to do would be to uninstall by moving the icon to the trash and then reinstalling. I did this but now when I try to install Remote Desktop 3 once again it states that it can't install because this version is newer than the version on my hard drive. I have downloaded both the Remote Desktop Admin 3.1 and Remote Desktop Client 'upgrades' from Apple's web site. I tried installing both of these but yet it won't install saying it can't find the original product. I have used Google but can't find much on unstalling.I found a few things with instructions of going through Terminal to delete files but nothing helped. I've only been with OS X since nov. so am relatively new to this and this program is important to me but yet I don't want to have to completely reformat and install OS X. Thanks for any help.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-22, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I did this but now when I try to install Remote Desktop 3 once again it states that it can't install because this version is newer than the version on my hard drive.
In /Library/Receipts, trash anything related to Remote Desktop.
JLL

2007-01-23, 04:32

Take your ARD installer DVD.

Right click on RemoteDesktop.mpkg and select 'Show Package Contents'

Navigate to Contents -> Installers and install RemoteDesktopAdmin.pkg and perhaps RemoteDesktopRMDB.pkg

Update to 3.1

- No matter where you go, there you are.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-23, 04:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post
Take your ARD installer DVD.

Right click on RemoteDesktop.mpkg and select 'Show Package Contents'

Navigate to Contents -> Installers and install RemoteDesktopAdmin.pkg and perhaps RemoteDesktopRMDB.pkg

Update to 3.1
You should remove the receipts first so it doesn't think a newer version is already installed.
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-23, 12:07

Thank you. That resolved my problem