User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

carbon copy cloner and failing drive...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
carbon copy cloner and failing drive...
rminkler

2005-12-06, 19:14

I've got a cube that is about to be sold. As such, I tried to use carbon copy cloner to copy the 60GB drive in the cube to a 60GB drive connected to an EIDE to firewire bridge.

The copy was going very, very slowely (less than 1MB per second for long periods of time) so I assumed that the 60GB drive I was copying to must have been failing.

Thinking I might still be able to use it for this one last backup, I looked through my internal drive and deleted as much as possible, so that I wouldn't have to wait while things I don't need were copied. I deleted several Gigs, leaving the internal 60GB drive at about 35GB...

I checked the smart status of the internal drive with disk utility (several times, as well as repairing permissions and verifying the disk) and it seems to be fine. Disk utility can't check the smart status of the external drive through the firewire bridge.

So I forced carbon copy cloner to quit, and unmounted the external drive, and then hooked up an old 40GB drive I have lying around, formated it, and then checked to see how much data was on my internal drive, and found that somehow, it was absolutely full (60MB free)...

So somehow, almost 15 GB of data has been copied to my internal drive.. I don't know how it happenend, and I also can't find where it is. I've used OnyX to "clean" the drive, but this only cleared up a few hundred megabytes..

Any Ideas?

Running os 10.4.3 on a 450mhz cube with 60GB internal drive and 1GB ram...
rminkler

2005-12-06, 19:38

I think I figured it out. It's a bug in the current verison of carbon copy cloner, where ccc writes to the source drive instead of the target drive in the /Volumes folder... I have to go now, but I will provide some links later tonight incase anyone else has this problem.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-12-07, 01:20

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/13803

I use Super Duper! The unregistered version allows you to make an exact copy of your hard drive like Carbon Cloner, but seems to be more accurate. If you pay, you enable other features like smart updating, which only deletes and replaces changed files.