User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2012 ;)
Page 5 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-07, 11:21

Yes, that video helps a lot. Pictures just don't always tell the whole story, and in the pose/lighting, lots of things can look bad or weird. The video makes it look very nice. I'm not 100% nuts about the darkened aluminum, bot on the rear panel and the surrounding band. I think it makes both phones look too different. I wish the metal parts (back and surrounding band) were both silver on the white and black models. I think that would make them look part of the same family (and easier/cheaper to manufacture, right? Just one design/color for the rear (the black and white sections would be different, but I'm talking about not having to make two separate shades of the aluminum/metal.

This might be a white purchase for me, this time around. I'll have to see more, better pictures (and see them in person too), of course. But maybe it's time for a change anyway? It's been five years for me with black-bezeled iPhones.

The leaked pics from a couple of weeks ago...that white one had an odd, greenish cast to the rear metal panel and it was a huge turn off, and hard to get an idea of how it really looks.

But when you tone it down/remove the green, it looks pretty nice. At least it's more silver/aluminum and seems to work better.

Also, if this is the design, I'll go case-less this time because a) I love how the iPhone 4 feels without one, and b) this new one seems to be even thinner and that'll be nice to hold and c) the entire back not being glass, I may not feel so strongly about a protective case being part of the mix.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-06-07 at 11:35.

zippy
Veteran Member

2012-06-08, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I doubt it will be coming at WWDC. They first need to release iOS 6 beta to developers( which will be at WWDC). Though all these leaks seem to have odd timing. Last year, all we had was pieces( camera, dock connector, etc) around this time. We didn't start getting the frame until August-September. We now practically have the whole phone outside the logic board, battery, and screen.
They don't really need to real ease iOS 6 before releasing the next iPhone though. Obviously that is the trend, but it doesn't technically have to happen that way. They could make iOS 5 run on this thing, release it with that, and then upgrade after.

Probably won't happen, but what a surprise/shocker that would be huh?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-18, 11:21

Thought this was kinda interesting: developers at WWDC not worried about iPhone and iPad screen size changes.

While a taller iPhone with more vertical pixels would present a bit of work, a smaller iPad, should it come to be, running at 1024x768 should run all the iPad apps ever made, as is. I never thought that would present a headache to anyone.

I'm kinda on the fence about that at this point, and don't know what Apple will do.

I do think a larger (taller) iPhone is a go, but I have no idea what changes, if any, we'll see in the iPad's size.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-06-18, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...a smaller iPad, should it come to be, running at 1024x768 should run all the iPad apps ever made...
Except for the part where all the tap targets would be too small, which is one of the most frustrating aspects of a 7" tablet's user experience. The web browser on the Fire borders on unusable because everything is so damn small.

If Apple ever makes a 7" tablet, it will almost certainly only run blown up iPhone apps and apps designed naively for the 7" iPad itself. Simply shrinking 10" iOS is antithetical to Apple's core design tenets. iPad mini proponents love to handwave about how "Apple would 'do it right,'" but in my book "doing it right" means having the UI be the right size! I get a huge kick out of everyone who says "Apple would do it right" and then proceeds to describe a 7" iPad which which no different than the flawed 7" tablets we already have.

I suspect that 5 or so years from now we will have iOS devices at 4", 7", 10", and 16". (I also give it a 50/50 chance that the 7" iOS device is branded as an iPod, not an iPad, i.e. the distinction between iPod and iPad is the ability to display a full size keyboard.) Apps will scale up, but not down.

And remember, the grass is always greener. Developers are all for iOS devices of varying sizes right now because they see it as more potential sales and therefore more potential customers. But once we have iOS devices spanning 4 or 5 different screen sizes, I suspect they will suddenly and rather jarringly realize that only two sizes has it's advantages... namely, you make your app once and everyone with an iPad has access to it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2012-06-18 at 17:50.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-18, 14:29

I don't get the tap target thing. The iPad comes with 4 columns of icons, spaced far apart. The iPhone, much smaller, has the same four columns, spaced much tighter together.

Things like Angry Birds - I've played it on both devices - work just the same, and seem to show the same amount of area. In fact, I don't enjoy playing it on an iPhone near as much as my iMac or iPad. I figure it would be a little easier in that middle ground between 3.5" and 10"?

Then again, I zoom all the way out so I can see my slingshot and target structures...

This is the only game I play of this sort, so I probably have all the lingo and terminology wrong.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-06-18, 14:40

Quote:
I don't get the tap target thing. The iPad comes with 4 columns of icons, spaced far apart. The iPhone, much smaller, has the same four columns, spaced much tighter together.
iPad and iPhone tap targets are roughly the same size... iPad tap targets are slightly larger, in fact. Despite the fact that iPhone and iPad are different sizes with different resolutions, Apple has decided that buttons should be roughly the same size, presumably after exhaustive testing. I am certain that on a 7" iPad, Apple would make the same decision—that the buttons should be roughly the same size. That would rule scaling iPad apps down completely out of the question.

For games it doesn't make a huge difference. But it can make or break productivity apps. Games are important to iOS but Apple is positioning iOS as the next big general computing platform. To base major changes to the platform around whether or not Angry Birds will look good scaled is probably not a good decision in the long term.

I think than an iOS device between 4" and 10" is inevitable... but it's not simply a matter of squishing the 10" iPad, just like the iPad wasn't simply a matter of scaling the iPhone.

Apple's track record indicates they take changing the size and scale of iOS very seriously... in five years they've only done it once. Scaling wasn't the answer the first time, why would it be the second time? If it's really that easy... if an effective resolution of 1024x768 at 7" provides an experience up to Apple's high standards, what's the holdup? Why wasn't the iPad that size to begin with?

The simplest explanation is likely the most reasonable. When Jobs was talking about how 7" tablets are crummy, he was speaking from experience. 7" is too small for general purpose, but the 7" market has to be addressed eventually, so my theory is that Apple is working on a 7" iOS device that feels much more like a bigger iPod than a smaller iPad.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2012-06-18 at 17:57.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-22, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I think than an iOS device between 4" and 10" is inevitable...
I disagree. In fact, I think a 7" iPad is not only quite evitable, it's downright unlikely. I could be wrong, of course. But no one's ever made the use case very clear to me. In fact, tellingly, people don't ever seem to argue that Apple should make one because they themselves really want one. People normally handwave the question of why Apple should make one with something like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
the 7" market has to be addressed eventually
But does it? There are lots of markets that Apple doesn't address. What makes the 7" tablet market different from the netbook market or the headless midrange desktop market or the 17" notebook market? Are there really a lot of people looking at an iPad and then not getting one, because it's too big? 7" tablet proponents don't seem to actually claim this, because they don't seem to ever give much of any real reason why it's necessary for Apple to make a product in that size class. They just should. Amazon does!

Once you reach the point where a device is no longer pocketable, it has to be large enough to be way more pleasant to use than a phone. Otherwise, what's the point? Nobody wants to bother carrying around something just big enough to not be pocketable but not big enough to be much better. People concede that the 7" tablets out there pretty much suck but claim that the Apple one will be way better, somehow. But how? Apple doesn't have some magic usability dust they can sprinkle on a 7" screen that will make it a joy to type on. They have a history of making products that are more pleasant to use than their competition, true. But maybe the iPad is pleasant to use because Apple very carefully chose the size that best balanced mobility and capability?

What people seem to be suggesting is that Apple will be able to take a form factor invented by their competition — one that no one seems to truly love — and just Apple-ify it and make it good. But that's not how design works. Yes, Apple makes the best tablets. And they don't make a 7" one. Why are we so sure that's a coincidence? Maybe 7" is just a bad size for tablets, like 9" or 19" is for laptops.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-06-22, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But does it? There are lots of markets that Apple doesn't address. What makes the 7" tablet market different from the netbook market or the headless midrange desktop market or the 17" notebook market? Are there really a lot of people looking at an iPad and then not getting one, because it's too big? 7" tablet proponents don't seem to actually claim this, because they don't seem to ever give much of any real reason why it's necessary for Apple to make a product in that size class. They just should. Amazon does!
Pretty sure Cap's made the case that a 7-inch one might suit her needs because it fits in a purse.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-22, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Pretty sure Cap's made the case that a 7-inch one might suit her needs because it fits in a purse.
That's the only thing I can think of. But I haven't found much of anything to suggest that women are avoiding the current iPad en masse because it doesn't fit in some purses, to the point where a smaller model is necessary. (For starters, the iPad is really f'ing popular — far moreso than any of the smaller competition.) The Nook tablets seem to be more popular with women than men, but it's hard to tell if it's because of their more purse-able size or because they're marketed primarily toward women.

Most of my iPad-toting she-friends have responded by simply carrying larger purses. The iPad fits in some of the larger, squarer ones, and they're still small and pursey enough not to look like messenger bags, or anything. (Zillion dollar business idea: stylish just-sized-for-iPad purses for women.)

But let's assume there's a sizable market for a 7" tablet that's doesn't suck — that's usable enough to be worth bringing along in addition to a smartphone. It's the "that doesn't suck" bit that gives me pause. That's why I asked about the use case. When Apple introduced the iPad, they were clear that for it to be worth making, it would have to do some things better than either an iPhone or a Mac. And when you apply that standard to a 7" tablet, I'm not sure it passes. What would a 7" tablet do better than either the iPhone or the iPad?

I'm not opposed to the idea of a 7" tablet just because I want to disagree with people, or because I hate the number seven, or anything. I just think it's unlikely that Apple will make one because I apply Apple's own stated standard for in-between devices against it, and find it wanting. I think about it a lot — we certainly discuss it enough — but it still doesn't make sense to me. I just can't think of anything that a 7" Apple tablet would be way better at than an iPhone or an iPad. It just seems like a compromise, to me.

But again, I could be wrong.

Eugene
careful with axes

2012-07-27, 04:45

Looking at all those iPhone/iPad prototypes just reminded me of what makes the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Apple: God this prototype is shit, but let's keep working on it.
Google: God this prototype is shit...what the hell, release it anyway and call it a beta.
Microsoft: GOD ALL THESE PROTOTYPES LOOK GOOD.
Samsung: Make this *points at iPad*

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 10:52

Latest rumor: Next-gen iPhone, iPad mini and new iPod nano to debut on September 12.

Hmmm, I don't know...it's tough to imagine all three brand-new devices sharing the stage at one event. Although, technically, none of them are truly "brand new", and merely updates to existing, popular products. In the case of the iPad, just a smaller version. I suppose that doesn't really warrant a separate, standalone event (a smaller version of an already existing product, using the same OS and ecosystem as the current full-size model).

In any case, I can certainly imagine any 1-2 doing so (particularly the iPhone and iPod, both rolled into a September iWhatever event, as they did last year (where the iPhone 4s took center stage, and the iPods got a polite "oh yeah..." mention with modest tweaks).

If this is legit, more leaks and confirmation will surely come throughout August.

Still not digging that black, darkened metal. But if they didn't do this and just left it as is (regular silver metal banding, etc.), the usual dipshits - who insist on a major redesign every year, otherwise "Apple is losing their steam" and Steve Jobs is surely "rolling in his grave" - will throw a hissy-fit over how "it looks just like the 4 and 4s, only a little taller...WTF Apple?!?"

They nearly had a meltdown last year when the 4s dared to look like the 4 from the year before. I can't imagine how off-the-rails they'd go if Apple did it a third time.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind one bit if the new iPhone - and the next 1-2 generations following it - looked just like the 4 and 4s, in terms of material, styling, construction, coloring, etc. These are still the nicest, most understated and "no fluff" phone designs out there, IMO. Stretch the 4/4s and just leave everything else alone and they'll still sell record numbers, with the improved guts and iOS 6 in the mix. I think Apple has hit on near-perfection with the iPhone 4 design. If tweaking the dimensions/proportions to accommodate a taller display is all they do on this next go-around or two, fine with me.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-07-30 at 11:14.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2012-07-30, 12:20

Quote:
Still not digging that black, darkened metal. But if they didn't do this and just left it as is (regular silver metal banding, etc.), the usual dipshits - who insist on a major redesign every year, otherwise "Apple is losing their steam" and Steve Jobs is surely "rolling in his grave" - will throw a hissy-fit over how "it looks just like the 4 and 4s, only a little taller...WTF Apple?!?"

They nearly had a meltdown last year when the 4s dared to look like the 4 from the year before. I can't imagine how off-the-rails they'd go if Apple did it a third time.
People were unhappy because the 4S still had a small screen despite it taking longer than previous revisions. In the past, every new iPhone was released in the spring like clockwork. Then spring 2011 rolls around, no new iPhone, and people assume it's taking longer because they must be making some pretty major changes. Expectations got unreasonably high so when the 4S finally was released, it was a disappointment, even though the internals were a huge upgrade from the 4.

Face it, though – the mobile world, even more than the tech industry in general, is on a VERY fast schedule. Releasing once a year is standard. Refusal to constantly innovate and improve is severely punished. Look at RIM. Not saying Apple's going to become like RIM, by a long shot. They actually understand their customers and can accurately predict what they want. But if they don't give the iPhone a larger screen and LTE this revision, the cries of "WTF Apple!?" will be perfectly justified.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 12:35

I know that, but I'm not talking about the larger screen or LTE. I think this new phone is going to have both. I totally buy into the taller - but not wider - talk/rumors/leaks. To me it makes sense, in that you get a slightly larger screen, 16:9 for video/photos, an extra row of icons, it feels the same in your hand, you'll still be able to reach everywhere one-handed, etc.

I'm talking strictly about the external design/materials and style.

If these leaks and rumors are accurate, then the phone will pretty much look like the previous two models...and I'm completely okay with that. But there will be many - just go to the AI or MacRumors boards on any story about this topic - who expect a completely different look/design and they'll hit the ceiling, no matter how good the display and internals (and iOS 6) are (and failing to realize that those things, not the outward case design/materials, are what matters).

That's why I said maybe Apple just went with a darker, colored metal to help offset some of the caterwauling and hand-wringing that is sure to come by daring to release such a similar design on its third go-around.

If all Apple did, case-wise, was stretch it a bit, but kept the silver banding, the same black or white glass front and back, etc. (making this new iPhone look exactly like the 4/4s, only slightly taller), there's a group of people who'd wig out (because they did last year upon the 4s intro).

So Apple's probably thinking "we've got a good, working design here...but maybe we should play with some tones and coloring and throw the bellyachers a bone so they'll think we 're-designed' something. You saw how they got last year...".

I'm talking strictly case design/appearance here, not features. I have to believe that's why we've got the two-tone look and that blackened metal...just to change it up a bit, and try a new outside look? Because it's looking like the overall design has stayed the same, so about all they can do is play with materials and coloring a bit.

When you get down to this size and shape, and you're locked into a few specific materials (metal and glass) and colors (white, silver and black), your options are limited (in a good way). It's not like Apple is going to put out some curvy, busy 2000-era iBook sort of design with swoops, patches/accents of color, etc. At this point, all smartphones are basically thin rectangles consisting of 3-4 colors/tones and 2-3 materials.

Seriously, go read the comments at MacRumors on their story about the possible September 12 releases, and see how many people there are talking about how if "this new iPhone design looks like the others, I'm gonna be pissed" (or, worse, threatening to leave the platform). Someone making $200+ purchase decisions strictly on appearances/outward design, and ignoring everything else, is a complete nimrod and a point-missing asshat...and I hope they do leave for Android or something else because it thins the idiocy numbers a bit on this side). I'll help pay their ETFs if it'll get them gone and quiet.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-07-30 at 12:49.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-07-30, 12:43

IMO, that two toned back panel is hideous - a step back.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 12:58

While I think the new iPhone will have this larger (taller) display and other things like LTE, I'm kinda 50/50 on these leaks and photos/video.

Remember last year, around this time, there was all this talk of that idiotic teardrop design (which is just wrong and weird on so many usability/comfort fronts, I shouldn't even have to go into it). But it was the big talk and everyone - including mainstream, non-tech outlets - bought into it and were parading it around. Of course, the 4s comes out and it's nothing like that (and everything like the 4 from the previous year).

So part of me is thinking "is this another diversion or trick, sanctioned or otherwise?"

If the outer band is still the antenna system, why the need for the two-tone (material) back, assuming that's glass on the upper and lower parts for better reception? If it's just there to "break it up some", then that's goofy. And un-Apple-y, IMO. So I figure they must serve a purpose. And the bands still have those division lines on them, which means they must still be acting as antennas.

I'm not nuts about the two-tone back, but I also know enough that pics - especially non-Apple "beauty shots" often don't tell the whole story. And as with many other Apple products over the years (the Pad, the Mac mini and the MacBook Air in particular), seeing one in real life blows away any and all photos.

But part of me honestly thinks these leaks aren't legit, and that what we'll see in another month or two (assuming this September 12 event/September 21 release are accurate) is something completely different than these leaks.

However, unlike Photoshop and 3D rendering, it's a little tougher to mock up actual video of such a thing. But with 3D printers out in the world, and God knows there are people with time on their hands and that, more than ever, the "famous for 15 minutes" thing does exist (fueled by the Internet, YouTube, Twitter and all the rest). So I could almost imagine some goofballs taking the time and effort to machine a couple of one-off parts. We never see these things on or working, do we? And these pics and video have always come attached to some company whose name and web info are displayed in the video.

That's what gives me pause and doubt. There are talented, Apple-loving designers (and BS artists) out there...and the tech exists to turn on-screen mockups into real life objects to be filmed and posted online. And God knows the venues exist for people/companies to share their creations and output to the world.

I'm okay with this design, but it wouldn't surprise - or bother - me if it was a total sham, knowing what we know.

Honestly, what I'd like to see would just be the current 4/4s design, stretched to the 4"/16:9 dimensions, have the front plate be white or black glass, have the silver band around the sides, acting as they currently do and then just a metal back, with the Apple logo either in black or white (depending on the face frame color, of course) and do away with the mirrored chrome logo. Or, even easier, just have a toned Apple logo slightly darker, or lighter, than the metal back...the way it appears on the sides of the Mac Pro. That would look nice too. But it may be too understated and subtle for branding/recognition purposes.

What I'd really like, being completely honest, is a return to the 2007 iPhone...with comfortable, rounded edges and a silver, metal back. Almost like taking the current iPad and shrinking it down. I'd have zero problem with this. The iPod touch is pretty much there, in terms of the look/design (I just don't like that mirrored chrome back). But if it had the matte silver back of the iPad, the current iPod touch design would make a great iPhone. Those early models (the original 2007 and the two 3G models that followed) were so comfortable to hold and use.

That means they'd lose the antenna banding, and whatever that might entail.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-07-30 at 13:09.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2012-07-30, 14:05

I think most people who would be unhappy if the design didn't change would feel that way for practical reasons rather than aesthetic ones. Then again, I have always been a function over form guy, especially since I don't follow Apple so much anymore.

But yeah. The iPhone already looks great, being compact and thin and devoid of bulges. Any new design should have the goal of improving its durability. That's where it has the most room for improvement. It'll probably look good regardless, and it'll almost certainly look better in person than in pictures. I don't think there will be as much of a difference in color when you actually have it in your hand.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 14:14

If those leaked pics from a while ago are legit, it looks like the white model kept the silver metal banding and accents. Only the black model got the darker metal treatment. They just doubled their production woes by not standardizing on a single color/look for their banding.

I'm gonna get the white one anyway - both as a change after five years and because it's the one I really wanted back in 2010, but those delays kept cropping up - so it probably won't matter to me.

I love seeing white iPhone 4/4s out in the world. They just look so crisp and high-tech, and scream "Apple". Definitely easier to spot/recognize, as pretty much everyone does black.

Gonna get white and try not to put a case on it (but if I do, it'll be another clear/see-thru one) because I hate covering these nice-looking things up.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-07-30, 16:02

I've got the white with an orange bumper and it looks solid...at least when the bumper is clean. So damn hard to keep them clean. Looks dingy and dirty after a bit.

Thinking about taking the bumper off for a bit. The naked iPhone just looks so damn good.

I'll be sitting this upgrade cycle out, but I do like how the black looks, kind of that matte black finish.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 18:37

Seems to be a go, September 12.

When Jim Dalrymple says "yep", you can put money on it.

Cool. We're less than six weeks from a new iPhone, it's looking like!

I gots a white one with my name on it, just waiting...

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-07-30, 18:53

Incredible how poor of a job Apple has done with keeping information about the next iPhone under wraps. So much for "doubling down" on secrecy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-30, 19:13

Yeah, but don't know that for sure just yet. There's a chance all these leaks and photos are a big nothing, just like last year's "the new iPhone is going to be an teardrop wedge thingie!". There were pics, mockups, completed cases for that too, and we saw how that turned out.

I'm reserving judgement on all this (Apple's "secrecy") until we see it. In fact, one of Apple's "doubling down" techniques might consist of purposely floating out decoys, distractions, fakes (to throw everyone off, or to perhaps help track down/identify where leaks are coming from). That's not out of the question.

We'll know in about six weeks.

But even if Apple is doing their best - keeping people under their roof and direct employ from talking - it seems to be an impossible task for them, or any company, to keep some overseas blabbermouths, or workers in key positions to get their hands on goodies, from spilling beans. They can probably only do so much, and executing those caught leaking probably isn't on the table (yet).

As I said in an earlier post, the number (and recent clarity) of these pics almost make me think "nah, that's just too much...something's fishy".

We all know that leaked spy shots are of the shittiest quality imaginable, often at a level of blur (and ridiculous lighting and angle) as to give no real indication of anything meaningful.

I'm about *this close* to officially going not believing all these spy shots and assembly photos...

Partial
Stallion

2012-07-30, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
IMO, that two toned back panel is hideous - a step back.
I agree. I don't care for it. I don't understand why they need it, either, given that the band is the antenna system. Not only is it ugly, but it makes the back two pieces instead of one like it current is on the 4S (assuming the center is part of the 'frame'). Truly unibody would be really strong, super attractive, and probably easier to make. I don't get it.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Partial
Stallion

2012-08-02, 09:00

The new dock connector has gotta be magsafe right? I guess there is a benefit of redesigning it either way to take up less room on the board. Hopefully there is a magnetic feature for the user to justify upgrading their infrastructure of docks, cables, etc.

I know that I have ripped the usb cable out roughly a few too many times. I would much prefer a magnetic connector!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Eugene
careful with axes

2012-08-02, 09:53

It does give Apple the freedom to design a smaller dock-connector compatible iDevice if they want to.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-02, 10:04

Also, there's talk of Apple (wisely) offering an adapter upon the release of this new iPhone with the alleged new, smaller dock. That way, the 975 gazillion iPods and iOS devices and accessories don't instantly become useless overnight.

The fact they did this with their MagSafe connector on the new notebooks gives me reason to believe they'd do it here. They'd be risking a huge backlash.

People would rather spend ~$10 than replace their car chargers, alarm radios, etc. from scratch.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-08-02 at 10:57.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2012-08-02, 10:29

Quote:
Also, there's talk of Apple (wisely) offering an adapter upon the release of this new iPhone with the alleged new, smaller dock. That way, the 975 gazillion iPods and iOS devices and accessories don't instantly become useless overnight.

The fact they did this with their news gage connector on the notebooks gives me reason to believe they'd do it hear. They'd be risking a huge backlash.

People would rather spend ~$10 than replace their car chargers, alarm radios, etc. from scratch.
Won't work for accessories that require a snug fit or that use the dock connector to hold the phone upright, but yeah, it should be good enough for most people and shouldn't lead to a backlash. Especially if the new connector offers other benefits. If not then people might see it as a cash grab, changing things just to change them.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-02, 15:53

That'll have to be the trade-off and "good enough", it looks like. I mean, it wouldn't be Apple if they weren't putting everyone through some sort of "transition period", right? Software or hardware, every time things seem to settle down and lock into place, they implement something on their end that results in a 12-24 month phase-in/phase-out period...all requiring third parties, accessory makers and developers to scramble to rework their products ASAP (and for customers to wait until the case/software/cable/peripheral they need or use is "ready for the new way".

68K to PPC, PPC to Intel, OS 9 to OS X, HDD to SSD, regular displays to Retina, MobileMe to iCloud and, if this latest stuff is true, the decade-old 30-pin dock connector to this new one that's about 1/3 the size. Accessory makers of all stripes - cables, cases, docks, car and wall chargers, etc. - will spend the rest of 2012 (and maybe well into 2013) designing and manufacturing new stuff.

Except for the iPad, hopefully Apple will be able to do all this in a big, one-time switch (the new iPhone, any new iPods and possibly this new "iPad mini"). Then, next spring, knowing that the fourth-generation iPad would come that way (unless they surprised everyone and released an iPad v3.5 this fall with the new port design).

But yeah, they should release an adapter (and not charge an idiotic price for it). It's the least they could do, considering the upheaval and mad scramble that's about to ensue. Last I checked, iAccessories were a healthy, thriving market and I don't know anyone without at least 1-2 items based on that 30-pin design. That's going to be a lot of people buying new iPhones and iPods this fall and still wanting their current stuff to connect and work, while not having to wait for Belkin, Marware and the dozens (hundreds?) of others to update their lines...

In a perfect world they'd just include one in the box of all this new stuff, knowing good and well a) how many iPods and iOS devices are out there in the world after all these years and b) that NOBODY has any new peripherals or accessories to accommodate their new port design. But if they do that, that's something they couldn't sell sell separately for $9-29. They're no dummies...there's a reason they're sitting on $100B.

¡Damned!

2012-08-02, 19:35

I'll agree that the 4 was the sexiest phone ever made, but c'mon, the 5 is going to be a taller 4 with mis-matched backing? I just don't believe it. Hopefully all these leaks prove that Apple is still the Master of Secrets™ and the 5 looks absolutely nothing like these leaks.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

So it goes.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-08-02, 19:43

Why does anyone care if it still looks like the 4? Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fit it. I understand the move to aluminum for the back, I've seen way too many people drop and break their 4/4s. Mixed back is to allow for better WIFI and cell signal strength, which everyone complains about with the 4/4s.

¡Damned!

2012-08-02, 19:54

Well, I've seen exactly none of my many friends with the 4/4s break or drop them.... but maybe we're in the minority, even if we're all drunks. Go figure.

I'm not saying the suspect pictures are bunk. What I *am* saying is that Apple could do better than the pics I've seen on MR, BGR, WhatevR.

At this point I'm not sure if they're not taking any chances with the current design just to bolster their claim against Samsung, or if they really don't have a new idea. With Ive still at Apple, I tend to believe the former.

Why not make an iPhone thinner, sexier and a curved metal back like the iPad? Two words: Court. Samsung.

The iPhone6 is going to be the sexiest thing ever. Mark my words.

So it goes.