User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

MacBook Pro Redesign?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro Redesign?
zebrahead090

2006-05-25, 01:07

When do you guys think we might see a macbook pro redesign? Now that the macbook has some cool new features that the macbook pro doesn't, it makes me think that they need to upgrade the existing pro models sooner rather than later. Maybe with the release of merom? How old is the powerbook/macbook pro design?
AppleGirl85

2006-05-25, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrahead090
Now that the macbook has some cool new features that the macbook pro doesn't...
What cool new featureS are you referring to? Only feature I can think of is the magnetic latch...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-25, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGirl85
What cool new featureS are you referring to? Only feature I can think of is the magnetic latch...
Easily replaceable hard drive?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-25, 04:33

Magnetic latch... maybe... just one feature there.
pOps

2006-05-25, 06:18

the two-finger-trackpad-right-click function?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-25, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOps
the two-finger-trackpad-right-click function?
MacBook Pro (17-inch) has that. 15-inch probably will in 10.4.7.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-25, 06:45

On the Apple Support forums, or some forum (just search two finger mac click), someone had a prerelease build of 10.4.7, and confirmed that it added the two finger right-click for older model MBPs.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-05-25, 07:19

If we're talking redesign, then it should be something more radical. I would say ditch the aluminium and go with a cast magnesium alloy shell. Stronger and lighter, and quite cheap to do.

Look at more robust weather sealing -- not to the extent that you would operate it on the deck of a crab fishing boat, or in the middle of a sand storm -- just something that would survive having a large latte poured over it.

And if the overalll layout is to be redesigned, then they should look at accomodating optional larger batteries in some unobtrusive fashion. While users can currently opt to carry a second battery, and Apple has a pretty good hot swap setup, keeping both batteries in tip-top shape is a chore, you really need a second charger to do it right. Those who favor more battery life could opt for extended life batteries, those who favor light weight could opt for the standard battery setup.

Mikester

2006-05-25, 07:50

Some people are just never happy.
italian soda

Send a message via AIM to italian soda  
2006-05-25, 16:44

use titanium alloy instead of aluminum alloy, and it'd be cool if the case is corrosive resistant, since I work with my powerbook in the chem lab all the time, and it gets nasty for my poor powerbook sometimes

I don't remember seeing any post about the aluminum books surviving a run over, but couple from the ti books
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-25, 16:48

NEVER! Titanium will never be used again.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-05-25, 17:18

What about glass?

I'm serious!
Is it 1981?

2006-05-25, 17:22

Jonathan Ive, look at this and start making notes.

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-25, 17:24

That is the best story.
CreativeSherpa

2006-05-25, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981?
Jonathan Ive, look at this and start making notes.

I'm in tears. That is TOO funny!
bonzoa

2006-05-26, 06:08

holy crap. that is a good link.
rishi

2006-05-27, 01:52

I know this OT and it is certain that the black MB is the replacement for the 12"PB but do you guys think there is a teeny wheeny chance that the MBP might be available as 13.3" version, something like ultra portable business machine. These MB's look like toys compared to the MBP's sleek design.MBP sans heat/whine is the best laptop on the planet.
random precision

2006-05-27, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi
These MB's look like toys compared to the MBP's sleek design.
Do you think so? I know it's all down to personal taste, but I love Sci-Fi Spaceage design of the (white) MacBook. The MacBook Pro's design is looking a little tired to my eyes.
chucker

2006-05-27, 07:05

They're both great designs (although I wish they had made the white MacBook's shell matte, like the black one), IMHO.
Anthem

2006-05-27, 09:47

I used the white MacBook yesterday, and I'm in love.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi
I know this OT and it is certain that the black MB is the replacement for the 12"PB but do you guys think there is a teeny wheeny chance that the MBP might be available as 13.3" version, something like ultra portable business machine. These MB's look like toys compared to the MBP's sleek design.MBP sans heat/whine is the best laptop on the planet.
I think it's very possible. My 12" PB is a wonderful little machine, and travels really well. I think that there are enough people out there who value portability that Apple will re-establish this segment once their Intel transition is completed.

My guess would be:

Essentially a MacBook in a Metal chassis (perhaps magnesium, which would be both lighter and stronger than AL, and cheaper to cast) Trimmed down in every dimension -- slightly slimmer, thinner bezel, thus smaller footprint. New MacBook Pro elements to include illuminated keyboard, matte/glossy screen option, and maybe a non-integrated graphics solution, but with less RAM than the 15", all wrapped up in a 4lb package.

Price? 1599.

Black/White MacBooks become available at all price points -- 1099, 1299 and 1499 -- and get slightly larger screens -- 14.1" would fit within the porky bezels of the current model.

When you look at other manufacturers, there are many more large screen consumer laptop options. Apple's offerings are nice, because they're still plenty portable, but generally the consumers in this segment seem to like larger, if less travel friendly, machines. Higher up the scale, in MacBook Pro territory, is where the super-light models live. So, not only do I see a 13.3" MacBook Pro option coming, I think we'll see bigger consumer laptops too -- eventually creating parallel, overlapping, consumer and pro lines.

Last edited by Matsu : 2006-05-27 at 12:31.
Dave Hagan

2006-05-27, 12:28

I am beginning to wonder that if there was a major redesign of Apple's pro notebook offerings in the next few months, wouldn't rumors of such a redesign already be reported on the front page of A.I.? After all, they have been batting just short of a thousand lately.