User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

is copying 1,200 library CDs stealing music?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
is copying 1,200 library CDs stealing music?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-01-23, 04:13

My school even has an iTunes "share" on the network that they load up with all the songs that are listened to in the Music classes and ensembles. It's great.

I just hope they don't upgrade to 4.7.1 anytime soon...linky
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-01-23, 08:42

The Canadian law is ass-backwards for a couple of reasons.

1) You can't give your friend a copied CD, but you can give him a blank and let him copy the CD himself even though there's no freakin' difference.

2) Paying a "music" tax on generic HDDs and optical media is inane.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-23, 13:23

The first is one of those weird Canadian things. The same sort of rule applies to U-Brew wine stores. The store can everything for the wine except two things; they cannot add the yeast to the wine, the customer has to and they cannot carry the wine off premise for the customer. The law exists, but is never really enforced.

The second one was eliminated about a month ago, can't remember the ruling.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-23, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
Suing a 12 year old girl for downloading music is inane.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-23, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
Suing a 12 year old girl for downloading music is hilarious.
There you go, Vicky. I fixed it for you.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-23, 16:11

FWIW, the library material could be copied legally only under certain exemptions under the current (US) copyright laws. They're meant not just for loaning, but also you can copy this material so long as the purpose of the copying fits certain academic (non-commercial) guidelines. I probably still have the documentation they gave me when I entered college about what constitutes fair use in academic environments, but I'm too lazy to dig it up.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-23, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
I thought i was the only one who puts hundreds of classical albums on my computer.
You're not alone. Though 99% of what I have are copies of my own CDs. The little platters themselves I treat like gold; I'm better off having digital copies from which I can play or produce additional copies for my own use.
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-23, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
FWIW, the library material could be copied legally only under certain exemptions under the current (US) copyright laws. They're meant not just for loaning, but also you can copy this material so long as the purpose of the copying fits certain academic (non-commercial) guidelines. I probably still have the documentation they gave me when I entered college about what constitutes fair use in academic environments, but I'm too lazy to dig it up.
see my posts on the first page.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-01-23, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
The Canadian law is ass-backwards for a couple of reasons.

1) You can't give your friend a copied CD, but you can give him a blank and let him copy the CD himself even though there's no freakin' difference.

I'm heavily opposed to this kind of special interest taxes. Corrupt bastards.

Logically thinking, if you're paying something ("music tax"), at least you should then be able to copy all you want. Now the music industry is having their cake and eating it.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-23, 21:08

Sorry, autodata, I thought I read through, but missed your post. Yes, the section 107 stuff is what I was thinking of. This situation isn't quite as, uh, guilt-free as an academic use would be though. It's not overtly illegal to copy stuff from the library, but it seems a bit shady here. It's just avoiding paying for stuff, no nobler intentions it seems. Of course if anyone like the RIAA came after you, their overhanded tactics don't really fit the level of infraction anyway, so who ya gonna cheer for?

Seems odd that the librarian said that a music student couldn't copy the stuff. Seems to me if anyone could justify it, it would be someone in that position. But what do I know?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-01-25, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Duuuh... because copying it is illegal?

Sheet music for university and even high school bands/orchestras is very expensive. If you think you can legally go copying that stuff, you're living in another world (or at least another country).

I think schools should start showing "Don't copy that floppy!" again.
Yeah, but he said that the policy was that Music Majors couldn't copy them, implying that the policy allowed everyone else to copy the materials. At least that's how I read it.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-25, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Yeah, but he said that the policy was that Music Majors couldn't copy them, implying that the policy allowed everyone else to copy the materials. At least that's how I read it.
If there's anybody that should be allowed to copy such materials, it's music majors.

The fact that they can't should say something.

Many sheet music publishers are amazingly anal about copyright issues. They'll sometimes go as far as saying that, say, a large band can't make copies to be able to give them to all the players.

Recorded music is really not that much different.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-01-26, 04:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
If there's anybody that should be allowed to copy such materials, it's music majors.
That was kinda my point.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-26, 21:53

Dave, I think that you, me, and BuonRotto (at least) are all saying the same thing.. lol