Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Patterns n shit

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Patterns n shit
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-27, 21:56

So, I might have mentioned that I wrote a book on patterns.

Well, it seems I may have also accidentally written a standards specification.

I've been playing around in the Object Management Group (OMG) space for a couple of years now. They're an international standards body that defines little things like CORBA, UML, and so on.

I've been a member representative for my company for the past couple of years, and this week we submitted a new open and free specification for the definition, cataloging, detection, reporting, and display of patterns, including design patterns, architecture patterns, security patterns, business process patterns, and god knows what else. (It kinda got out of control there.)

Today it was approved for the preliminary comment period. If all goes well, in three months it will be accepted as an official specification for folks to use as a data interchange format and modeling tool foundation. We're already using it at my job (since it's sort of based on my research and book), and several other companies have jumped on it as well already, before it's even official.

If this sounds like something you or your company would be interested in, drop me a note, and I can get you the information you need.

And now, I'm getting a goddamned beer. Cheers.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-27, 23:08

Holy crap and I was the first here to raise a virtual pint in your honor!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-28, 00:01

Um, I don't know if this is useful or not but:

British Library sticks 1 million pics on Flickr, asks for help making them useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arstechnica
Next year, it plans to launch a crowdsourced application to fill the gap, to enable humans to describe the images. This information will then be used to train an automated classifier that will be run against the entire corpus.

The library is also soliciting ideas for how to present the collection to aid the tagging and metadata generation, and also make the pictures easier to navigate.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-28, 00:43

LOL awesome, but not the same kind of patterns. (This always pops up - the whole name of the field is confusing to most people, because they think of images.)

What we submitted is kind of a container for patterns information. How to define a pattern so that other people can understand it, how to store a pattern in a catalog so other people can find it, how to connect a pattern to a formal definition so machines can search for it, how to report you found a pattern, and how to draw a pattern so people can see it.

What the pattern *is* is almost immaterial, which was kind of shocking to most people. It can be a software design pattern, a system architecture pattern, a business process pattern, a cyber-security anti-pattern, pretty much anything that can be described as a pattern. This is just a way for patterns communities to share information amongst their own members, *and* start to share information with other communities.

I keep thinking of it as QuickTime for conceptual abstractions, but nobody would know what the hell I meant by that either. lol
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-28, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I've been playing around in the Object Management Group (OMG) space for a couple of years now. They're an international standards body that defines little things like CORBA, UML, and so on.

So, I can blame you for the misguided idea of UML-based code generation now?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-03-28, 05:41

LOL Nope, that predates me by a long while.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-03-28, 07:21

Congrats man, that's awesome.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2014-03-28, 08:21

Hi Kickaha, I'd be interested in hearing more about this, cheers
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-04-08, 20:19

Documents are up here now: http://www.omg.org/schedule/IPMMS_RFC.html
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2015-04-09, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So, on the off chance you're subscribed to this thread and receive email notifications from it but not your PMs, I thought I'd bump the thread
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-04-11, 13:29

Timely bump! The Structured Patterns Metamodel Standard 1.0 is now public and live from the Object Management Group. (Used to be IPMSS, name change was a weird last minute decision by the task force.)

http://www.omg.org/spec/SPMS/Current/

SPMS is based on the SPQR and EDPs work, and includes the PIN graphical diagramming spec.

So now, if anyone is interested to, they can use SPMS to create and share pattern definitions, create a repository of them, offer guidance on finding related patterns in a repository, report found instances of patterns in a system, diagram them, etc, etc, etc

Gee, it only took a year from initial acceptance to publication, so I'm going to get another goddamned beer. Cheers again.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-04-11, 13:49

Cheers to you! I wish I had an application for this!!! But beer? Yah!

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2015-04-13, 08:23

Right on - congratulations!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2015-04-13, 08:47

Grats!