User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Is Flash dead?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Should Adobe Kill Flash?
Yes. It sucks apples and needs to go away 15 100.00%
No. I love the extra power consumption and security flaws 0 0%
Beer! 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Is Flash dead?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-07-14, 13:59

For security reasons, it appears that Firefox has dumped all support for Adobe Flash until Adobe either A) gets their act together, of B) discontinues Flash. Gruber actually called for this yesterday.

Has Adobe Flash run its course, finally? :roll eyes:

I know it's good for advertisers and splashy designers, but I am really sick of all the security hassles, slow streams, failed connections, "your browser doesn't support" and all the other crap.

I hope Apple and Google are quick to join in on this one.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-07-14, 14:15

I would love to get rid of flash but unfortunately some websites I go to still require it. Is there a better alternative for something that would run stuff without having flash?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-07-14, 14:19

The "in the know" folk say to download Google Chrome, which has a built-in Flash plugin thingy. Apparently it is more efficient and runs independently of the normal Flash plugin. However, there are some security concerns regarding Google's implementation, and then theres Google's tracking concerns. So,

Avoid Flash websites whenever possible, that's my take on it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-14, 14:32

That's pretty much what I do.

I don't install Flash in Safari, but I do keep Google Chrome around for those instances in which I "need" Flash.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-07-14, 19:22

It is not dead yet, but Flash is dying a slow death. In retrospect, I think the general feeling is that Steve Jobs was right about the Flash's suitability for mobile platforms. And it is gradually losing market penetration on websites more generally. There are better alternatives.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-14, 19:40

I really don't like Flash but know I use things that have to have it. Like my NAS uses it for it's web admin. I end up installing Click to Flash on Safari so I can have it though generally avoid it when I can.

Yes, Flash is dying. Newer methods to safeguard DRM is really the key to it making it go away. Many rely on Flash to keep you and me from leeching and only viewing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-07-14, 21:50

Dunno how Fitbit.com will cope without it though. Don't think HTML5 can replace the dashboard functions.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-07-15, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The "in the know" folk say to download Google Chrome, which has a built-in Flash plugin thingy. Apparently it is more efficient and runs independently of the normal Flash plugin.
Apparently this doesn't really work, and hackers can bypass this protection easily.
Olive

2015-07-21, 03:46

Flash is as dead as the dodo
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-08-01, 13:00

VMware ESXi 6's Web Client is still Flash. Sigh. Like, it's not even about power usage, security, etc. It's basic stuff like opening links in a new tab that's completely broken.