User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Digital Camera Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Digital Camera Chat
Page 32 of 114 First Previous 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36  Next Last Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-02, 18:00

I don't like to fiddle with equipment when I'm thinking about pictures. Or, maybe I like to fiddle too much. A degree higher here, a little closer, a little bit wider. I actually fiddle around a lot, I guess - but with the composition not the equipment - I wish I was one of these people that just knew what they wanted to do in a pic. So, for sure my set-up discipline isn't going to be the best... But that's OK. I'm not stalking birds in flight at sunset for national geographic. I would like to take some very sharp and deliberately staged portraits though, and interiors, city streets, buidlings etc...

I want to be able to move somewhat fluidly - one of the reasons I like the extremely simple P0 head.

Last edited by Matsu : 2012-01-03 at 06:23.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-01-02, 18:24

Lets put the weight issue into perspective. My current tripod 055XPROB and Manfrotto head weigh 2.8KG combined. I walk around with that, plus the D700 w/grip + 8AA batteries (8FPS shooting) (1.4KG) and AF-S 300mm F4D (1.4KG) for 2-4 hours at a time. Most of the time it is in a marsh, so mostly flat, but I have carried it on hikes. Not fun at all, my shoulders and back get sore. So, from my point of view the Gitzo 3531S I'm getting, which is 1.7KG, will seem light and be easier on my body! Between the tripod and head I'm looking at, I'll be dropping 500g from my load.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-03, 10:29

My biggest problem is height. I'm too tall for some shots, and often have to crouch when stepping in, or step back to get the right perspective on someone'e face/eyes. A tripod doesn't really help this, except if I get really lazy and just want to stand up straight, realizing I have to then move back a bit and use focal lengths between 85 and 200. Ultimately perspective will still dictate how tall to set-up, but I at least want the option.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-03, 12:42

It's really hard to find any meaningful tripod comparison tests. You guys might find use for this one below...

http://www.optiline.no/berlebach/ima..._lfi1_2006.PDF
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-03, 16:59

Rumor has it that we'll be seeing the Nikon D4 and 85mm F1.8G announced this Friday.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 11:15

NikonRumors.com says the D4 will cost $6k and the 85 mm f/1.8 $500. So no shocks there. Looks like the D4 might be a good bit cheaper than the 1D X.

Interestingly, it's also rumoured to be lighter than the D3S, which I did think necessary a few pages ago.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 13:44

If they've managed to improve the high ISO performance and AF sensitivity of the D3s, that's quite something. 16MP seems a bit low, but again, not for the intended market.

I wonder if there will be a D4x? Or is this the new top-of-line? Should keep used D3/s/700 values pretty stable for now.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 14:39

I suspect Nikon has squeezed another bit of ultra-high-ISO performance out of the new camera, though there isn't a whole lot available beyond what the D3S can already do. At ISO 3200 the D4 can only be imperceptibly better. At ISO 100k it might be a good bit better.

Low-ISO performance is a different tale. Here the D3S has a lot of room to improve. There's an interesting anecdote here on the design of the current cameras, which allegedly use camcorder AFEs!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-04, 15:26

I think I'm more interested in the 85mm F1.8G. If it is an improvement over the D model in the way the 50mm was, then it will be a nice lens to have.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 15:41

I can't wait to see the samples and actual announcement. I wonder what the FX line-up will contain by the end of 2012. Will there be only two cameras? D4 and D800? Or might we get 3-4 models including a D4x and D800h? If they do create a 36MP D800, I don't see how they could sell a D4x, except to people who really need the focusing system of the sports camera - small numbers, huge price, maybe even $10K.

D800h, OTOH, could certainly find a market. Put a 16MP FX sensor in a smaller camera, that doesn't have the redonkulously sensitive -2ev, f/8 capable, AF sensors rumored for the D4, but makes do with a more pedestrian 51 point AF and 6-8fps instead of 11, and that's a pretty nice camera...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-04, 15:59

A 16MP variant of the D800 would be a more than welcome addition, and a true D700 replacement in my books.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 16:46

Maybe it will be the D400, for $1899...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 17:26

Yeah, it looks to me like the D700 won't be strictly replaced. As far as Nikon's concerned, the D700 was the camera that killed the D3. From now on they'll try to avoid such cannibalisation of high-end sales.

In the future, I think we'll be offered:

- a D800 to nominally replace the D700, though unlike the D700 (which almost equalled the D3), the D800 will have much slower speed, many more pixels, and worse high-ISO performance than the contemporary top-end gear (D4).

- a D4 for flat-out speed of operation and high-ISO image quality. If you need to come home with the image, you'll pay $6k for the privilege and be grateful, damnit.

If the D800 is expensive and built to at least D700 standards, it might replace any "D4X", and the "D400" would be a cheap FX (this would explain the positioning of the D7000). If the D800 is cheap and built to a lower standard than the D700, then there will probably be an eventual "D4X", and the "D400" will be DX.

Looks like a good year to be buying an SLR — if you're loaded!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-04, 19:31

Each time I think about the D700 replacement, and the cost, the happier I am that I snagged one D700 for $2100.

I might be willing to get a D400 if the ISO performance matches the D7000. The D7000 is a good camera, in many respects, but some of the controls are not to my liking (haven't missed it since my time with it was over).
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-04, 21:06

Posted just in case it gets lost again...

Nikon Unveils New D4 Flagship D-SLR
Greg Tarr

Released : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:01 AM

The Nikon D4, which is slated for February availability at a $6,000 suggested retail, will offer a full-frame 16.2-megapixel full-format CMOS image sensor that will shoot full-resolution images at up to a 10 fps rate.

The camera is also one of the first to support the new XQD Compact Flash memory card format, and will also offer a second card for more conventional CF cards.

The Nikon D4 has improved low-light performance, with an ISO range from 100 to 102,400 which can be expanded to 50 to 204,800 for both movies and stills.

The D4 also improves on the D3's color matrix metering system with a third-generation 91,000-pixel RGB metering sensor.

The unit takes the AF mode select switch from the D7000 and uses improved 51-point AF points with 9 cross-type sensor and a beefed up AF module allowing focus with an f/8 lens and faster (up from f/5.6). The AF detection range is now down to EV-2.0

The viewfinder features a full pentaprism with a 100 percent field of view.

The video section will record pixel-for-pixel Full-HD 1080p resolution with selections for 30p and 24p frame rates in this iteration, and 720p at up to 60p for slow-motion work. The camera now includes support for the H.264 B frame compression scheme.

The camera uses contrast detect AF in movie recording and features a low-pass filter optimized to maximize sharpness of HD video, meaning greater noise reduction when shooting full-frame movies.

Function buttons are illuminated this year, and a dedicated video button (user re-assignable) is added near the shutter button.

The D4 supports WTSA wireless control using the optional Nikon WT-5 wireless transmitter, and features an integrated Ethernet port and HDMI output enabling output of uncompressed video.

The D4 also introduces face detection/recognition into the flagship series

Another new feature is smooth aperture control for use while shooting video.

At the same time, the company introduced the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G FX format lens ($500 suggested retail).

The company said the D4 is not being produced in Thailand will not have production issues from the recent flooding situation there. But whether the company will have enough supply to meet the expected demand from Nikon-aligned professional photographers and converts remains to be seen.

2012 International Press Telecommunications Council

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-04, 21:11

None of these specs are anything new, rumors of these have been out for a few months now.

What I do not understand is why Nikon has dropped down to 9 cross type AF points from 15 in the D3 series and D700? If anything they should be increasing the number of cross type sensors, like umm Canon. That said, having functionality up to f8 will help people use things like those Sigma 150-500mm zooms with F5-6.3 apertures, oh and when some silly fool sticks a 2x TC on a 300mm F4.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
What I do not understand is why Nikon has dropped down to 9 cross type AF points from 15 in the D3 series and D700?
My guess is that Nikon hasn't. This isn't a Nikon press release, and the terminology is a bit woolly in places. It might be wrong on the number of cross-type points (and other things, of course).

Still, the overall picture is probably about right. A significantly lighter body with a new, low-pixel-count sensor, extreme high-ISO capabilities, new networking for sports shooters, and not a whole lot of other innovation. The little things like the 91k-pixel metering sensor and XQD support add up to a pretty compelling package, but I feel Canon has put more new technology into the 1D X — in part because Canon started with a lower-tech foundation (basic stuff like the GPS module is new for Canon).

That said, excessive bulk and weight are probably the biggest threats to SLRs at the moment, so where the D4 does innovate is important. SLRs grew to gargantuan proportions with the advent of digital, so it's great to see some correction there in the D4. I'm dying to know the details! Engineering plastics? Carbon-fibre? More or smarter mag alloy? Better energy efficiency and a lighter battery pack? I love to see Nikon flex its mechanical engineering muscle. The result is always thoughtful and elegant.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 10:40

I can say that my D7000 battery gives a lot longer life than the D300 did, even when they were new. Smaller bodies are a great thing - all that really needed to stem any interest in ILCs is for someone to make a full frame camera about the size of my father's Nikon FE.

Though the 16.2MP full frame part is not something I can currently find in Sony's product pages - it might be, it's just a tad too early to know - I'm more intrigued by what may be going on in the sensor development area as well as the AF and metering. Nikon's 1 system shows they can have significant impact when they develop/partner/consult/design on sensor fabrication. The new camera is reported to have face detection and faster contrast detect for live view, that's pretty interesting. Also, the reported sensitivity of the PD-AF system would allow the camera to virtually see in the dark.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
A significantly lighter body...
And a leaked French magazine specifies a miserable 45 grams lighter than the D3S. That's less than 5% lighter!

And I was going to buy two...

Maybe Réponses Photo is wrong; this mag isn't famous for technical accuracy (note in that article they wrongly say the 1D X has 0.78x viewfinder magnification).

The D7000 is impressively energy-efficient. I guess it has a much more modern processor. I note even the entry-level D3100 nowadays offers histogram updates for zoomed-in portions of the image on the rear display: something my D300S clearly labours to do (sluggish updates). My D700 doesn't even have this feature. Moore's law and all that.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Smaller bodies are a great thing - all that really needed to stem any interest in ILCs is for someone to make a full frame camera about the size of my father's Nikon FE.
Unfortunately, smaller bodies is only half of the equation. Compact lenses is the other. And when I look at the current trend in lens sizes, it seems the requirements of the digital age (more telecentric lenses, higher resolutions etc.) lead to bigger lenses (in addition to the increase in width due to the AF-S motors), compared to the older lenses.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-05, 14:55

The D7000 uses a high capacity battery (EN-EL15 = 1900mAh vs EN-EL3e 1500mAh) and the new chipsets are clearly make the circuit board more power efficient. I suspect we'll see some performance increases across the board with the next generation of pro cameras. That said, with the D4 going with dual processors, it may stay around 1000 shots per charge.

Keep in mind that the D3s is lighter than the D700 + grip (and smaller) so if you find the D700 with grip too big and heavy, you'll be surprised to find the D3 series of cameras to be slightly smaller and lighter.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-05, 17:43

Small good lenses are possible. The AF-S 24-85 G was pretty compact, and decent speed at f/3.5-4.5 - but they discontinued it. The 2.8-4D version of same is also relatively small for a walk around zoom. Instead we're getting superzooms and fat 24-120 designs, but it is possible.

With the exception of the micros, and f/1.4 primes, Nikon hasn't really updated enough of their AF-D lenses, but it can be done. The 50mm f/1.8 gained a little girth, but not unacceptably. F/1.8 versions would be a very good start, even f/2. and for that matter, even f/2.8 pancakes/mircos optimized either for small apertures and/or close focus could make for some really sweet compact lenses.

Look at all the stuff that hasn't been updated yet: 16mm, 20mm, 24mm f/2.8, 28mm, 35mm f/2, 85mm f/1.8 (maybe tonight!) 105 and 135 f/2 DC

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-05, 19:11

I agree that Nikon needs to put an inexpensive consumer grade FX zoom in the lineup. Of course from Nikon's perspective FX users aren't average consumers (price of FX cameras tell you that much), so they don't feel the need to address that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-05, 19:42

Might want to check that French report on the D4 being lighter than the D3s. I read a report stating that the D4 will be 100g heavier. (price 5800€)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-06, 00:36

So D4 announced along with the 85mm. Not sure what to think of the new 85. It has 7 aperture blades (rounded) vs 9 in the AF-D model. It weights around 350g, 30g less than the AF-D. So much for the idea that AF-S = heavier.

See details:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens..._18g/index.htm
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-06, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Might want to check that French report on the D4 being lighter than the D3s. I read a report stating that the D4 will be 100g heavier. (price 5800€)
The D4 is lighter than the D3S by 60 g (1180 g versus 1240 g), where the weights refer to body only, without battery, memory card, body cap or accessory shoe cover. That's according to the official Nikon PDF brochures, the most reliable source we have.

D4 brochure (Light on info, by the way. Remember the 40-page D3 brochure?)

D3S brochure

We also have an official weight of 1340 g for the D4 with battery and XQD memory card, but without body cap or accessory shoe cover. I can't find a comparable D3S weight, so I'm trying to figure out how much a D3S battery and CompactFlash card weigh (the search is proving how useless the web is, by the way!).

The real weight difference between the cameras will be more than 60 g, because I'm sure the D4 battery weighs less than the D3S battery. The D4 battery is seemingly smaller than the D3S battery, and probably lighter. The smaller battery takes it toll on the CIPA battery life claim, though: 4200 shots for the D3S versus 2600 for the D4.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-06, 09:38

I like the 85. Now come one Nikon, make a 35.

Did you guys see the pic of the Fuji X Pro1 yet? Three lenses to start: 18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, and 60mm f/2.4 macro. 17.7mm flange distance. We don't yet have the full spec, so we can't see the mount diameter but it seems that sensor size limit is APSC. Rumor also has Canon launching a large sensor compact soon - in lieu of an ILC.

So, APSC appears to be the largest ILC system likely to surface for the foreseeable future..

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-06, 13:34

I would love to see Nikon release a set of F1.8/F2.8 primes this year. Grab the 85mm, a 24mm and I'd be willing to dump the 24-70mm (I use the 24-70 at 24, 50 and 70mm and almost nothing in between). As things stand right now, I'd be hesitant though.

The Fuji sensor is rumored to be slightly smaller than Nikon or Canon APS-C. Think closer to Sigma's crop sensor size.

Quote:
We also have an official weight of 1340 g for the D4 with battery and XQD memory card, but without body cap or accessory shoe cover. I can't find a comparable D3S weight, so I'm trying to figure out how much a D3S battery and CompactFlash card weigh (the search is proving how useless the web is, by the way!).
Depreview lists the D3s as being 1240 g with the battery and cards, so as I said, the net weight of the D4 is 100g heavier.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-06, 15:37

Fuji X Pro1: The 35mm equivalencies in the leaked release suggest that the Fuji has exactly a 1.5x crop. They report the 35mm as equivalent to 53mm, for example, but it's still early. The french article says 1.5x, linked here Other rumors report that the sensor uses 6 different randomly distributed colors to avoid moire. Not sure how that would work. I immediately thought maybe 3 different colors and 2 different photosite sizes - like their old S and R pixel devices. Then I remembered some stuff about hybrid organic and multilayer CMOS patents, so maybe we'll see an entirely different form of imager...

More Nikon stuff. D800 announcement coming in Feb. A D800 with 36MP could revolutionize the way we shoot an event - though not always/necessarily for the better. Here's what I mean:

You pop a wide angle zoom or fast prime on it and don't be afraid to get close. Use the relatively concentrated AF pattern of FX, placing the subjects as you would in a DX frame, except you've got 50% more height and width to play with. Now take your shots. Even if you crop away half the total pixels, you've still got an 18MP image - with your subject still focused within the sweet spot. You could crop most of the left, or right, or top, or bottom, and still have no worse quality than a D7000 provides. What you've got is this ridiculously wide latitude for composition now. If you're under pressure and things are moving fast, you spend more of your time thinking about the light, depth, perspective and expression from the subjects themselves - you refine the scene later, with your crops. And provided you've kept the subjects in the sweet spot, and maintained good technique, you still have images that will blow up 13x19 or even 17x22.

Down side - it's a brutal way to post process if you don't have the storage and CPU power, and it could make your mind really lazy, to the point where you stop thinking about other elements of the photograph as well.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-01-06, 15:55

Some might also think 36MP will be bad for noise, but you can down-sample, like some 5D MKII users already do. I can bet that if you down-sample to 36MP to 18MP you'll get D3s like performance.