Lovable Bastard

2012-09-04, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
And likely with an A6 chip, too.
And skip the A5x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
But I, too, thought that The New iPhone was a shoe-in.
I never thought iPhone 6 was on the table, for exactly the reason you cited. Nether iPhone 5 or iPhone 6 really make sense, which is why I was certain it would be "the new iPhone."

iPhone 5 is just a terrible name, for so many reasons. But it is what everyone was expecting, so I guess it has that going for it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-09-04, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
iPhone 5 is just a terrible name, for so many reasons. But it is what everyone was expecting, so I guess it has that going for it.
Maybe it's because the iPhone is still in that phase of its career where having the latest model matters enough for a sufficiently large proportion of the consumers to make them splurge on a new model instead of waiting a cycle?

A snob value associated with the model number, if you will.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-09-04, 15:31

Quote:
And skip the A5x?
I'd be surprised if it were the A5x. Perhaps an A5y. Or an A5xx. The A5x was specifically built to drive the gazillions of pixels on the retina iPad. The iPhone doesn't need that kind of emphasis on GPU power and throughput. So it may be some tinkering of the A5x that reduces some of the GPU power consumption, but then... isn't that just an A5? Marco Arment is thinking similarly.

Quote:
Everyone was also expecting the iPad 3.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-09-05, 17:50

With all the pictures of parts and fully assembled mockups, do we even need a keynote?
Unless Apple is pulling one over us, the iPhone 5 will go down as one of the biggest leaked products in recent memory.

I miss back in the day when an Apple blew everyone away with some unexpected product announcement. Oh well, I suppose it's near impossible given the required global outsourcing of parts.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-05, 18:09

Don't get hung up on the hardwareooks too much! The real dazzle, as always, comes in the software and OS. There's only so much "up" you can go on the phone itself (faster processor, bigger screen, better camera, etc.). But, to me, all that stuff - in and of itself - isn't what winds me up.

I'm looking forward to a new design after two years, don't get me wrong. But it's iOS 6, Maps, Passbook and whatever surprises still remain (surely we haven't seen or "figured out" everything just yet...we never do).

Partial
Stallion

2012-09-05, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Don't get hung up on the hardwareooks too much! The real dazzle, as always, comes in the software and OS. There's only so much "up" you can go on the phone itself (faster processor, bigger screen, better camera, etc.). But, to me, all that stuff - in and of itself - isn't what winds me up.

I'm looking forward to a new design after two years, don't get me wrong. But it's iOS 6, Maps, Passbook and whatever surprises still remain (surely we haven't seen or "figured out" everything just yet...we never do).
iOS 6 doesn't scream out to me the way that 5 did. Of course, it's not as big of an update in terms of changes to the core OS. This is just refining.

Navigation is nice. The maps are only okay, Google was definitely better at interpreting what I mean when searching (makes sense, I'm sure they have way more data collected over time). The search functionality in maps is kind of horrible in my opinion. It could just be where I'm located but it sucks at finding basic things like restaurants, etc near me.

Photo Stream sharing is super nice. My wife and I share a stream for photos we take with our phones so we can have separate iCloud accounts yet still easily have photos automatically show up where we want them. This might be the best part of iOS 6 for me.

iMessages going across device isn't as cool as I thought. It's pretty neat, but I don't feel that I have the same level of privacy on my iPad as I do on my iPhone or my Mac. I have a hunch that is the cases with most iPads within a family unit. I don't want everyone else reading my messages. There isn't anything really bad or anything, it's just the principal. This potentially could be really nice but I don't think the implementation is there yet.

Do not disturb and it's scheduling are nice but it'd be nice if I could set a schedule by day of the week. For example, I don't want my phone going off after 10pm during the week, 1am on weekends.

iOS in general feels pretty rock solid after this release. I wouldn't call any of these features game changers, but they were omissions that are make the OS feel super complete and polished. Photo stream sharing is a killer app I guess.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-09-06, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
The maps are only okay, Google was definitely better at interpreting what I mean when searching (makes sense, I'm sure they have way more data collected over time). The search functionality in maps is kind of horrible in my opinion. It could just be where I'm located but it sucks at finding basic things like restaurants, etc near me.
Maps is what worries me the most. I still can't believe that they're removing public transit from Maps.app. That's 90% of what I do on my phone! And the local apps for my region (Pittsburgh) really stink. I've been working on my own app on-and-off for a while now, but I simply don't have enough time to curate the data from the GTFS feed (it's a mess).

I hope Google has an implementation of their maps lined up and ready to hit the app store next week. But knowing Apple, they'll probably hold it up in review for a month to increase the userbase of their implementation before letting Google back in.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-09-06, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
iMessages going across device isn't as cool as I thought. It's pretty neat, but I don't feel that I have the same level of privacy on my iPad as I do on my iPhone or my Mac. I have a hunch that is the cases with most iPads within a family unit. I don't want everyone else reading my messages. There isn't anything really bad or anything, it's just the principal. This potentially could be really nice but I don't think the implementation is there yet.
Same here.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-09-06, 10:25

Yeah me too I'm all for the turn-by-turn and all the new shit. But I hope I have a GMap app not too far when I need to find things near me or something missing on Apple maps...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-09-07, 14:39

What's the procedure for switching providers? I'm going from AT&T to Verizon this time...

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-09-07, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
What's the procedure for switching providers? I'm going from AT&T to Verizon this time...
It's extremely easy. Just go to a store, pick a phone, and sign a contract. Bring your account number with you from your current provider if you want to keep your number.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-09-07, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
It's extremely easy. Just go to a store, pick a phone, and sign a contract. Bring your account number with you from your current provider if you want to keep your number.
Not possible online? Basically I'd like to order the three phones online...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-07, 16:55

Quote:
I was wondering this same exact thing. Also going from AT&T to Verizon. I was hoping I could just pre-order the iPhone and then activate it like I did with the iPhone 4. Can you add onto a plan from iTunes or would I physically have to go into the store?

Also, how does the iCloud backup work? I have it setup on my phone now but what's the procedure when I get a new one? Just turn on iCloud and the tabs and everything will appear? Will the apps, old text messages, and old call log still be there or do I need to physically back it up on iTunes?

I was also curious if anyone thinks that for the Verizon model, will you be able to do voice and data at the same time? Have they started VoLTE yet?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-09-07, 17:15

Here's a question for those more knowledgeable while we are at it:

My gf and I have an ATT family plan. She had an iPhone 3GS, I purchased an iPhone 4. Last year, I purchased an iPhone 4S with her 3GS upgrade offer and gave her the iPhone 4. To keep our numbers, we swapped sim cards.

This time, my old iPhone 4 is eligible for upgrade but now it has her number (and her sim). She wants to buy the iPhone 5. How do we use my iPhone 4 upgrade and buy an iPhone 5 with a new nano sim that will have her phone number and not mine?

Make sense?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-07, 18:05

It's usually not a big deal. You can take it in and they'll do it for you. I've done it for a bunch of phones on Verizon.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-09-07, 18:49

Just go into store and have them swap a SIM card. They might ask you to call customer service to activate the new one. I did the exact same thing last re-up.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-09-07, 18:54

Quote:
Not possible online? Basically I'd like to order the three phones online...
Yes, it's possible online. There will be a section for that info. It should be easy. Whatever you do, don't cancel your AT&T plan first.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-09-08, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Yes, it's possible online. There will be a section for that info. It should be easy. Whatever you do, don't cancel your AT&T plan first.
Sweet, I'm just hoping the system lets me get three... I imagine it will be a huge shit show on that day anyway.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-09-11, 12:12

so in theory if we are able to order them tomorrow they'd be showing up on our doorstep on the 21st? Crap, nobody's going to be home to receive it. I don't want my shiny new toy to sit on the steps all day

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-11, 12:30

I don't think the preorders will start until friday, but usually with something like that you will have to typically sign for it before you receive it.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-09-11, 13:01

tell that to the fedex driver that dumped my g4 quicksilver off at the end of the block 11 years ago
$2200 machne, at least i had an honest neighbor

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-11, 14:09

Geez. Is there anyway you can have it shipped to your work?

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-09-11, 14:25

well, problem is, i'll be just finishing up my honeymoon and heading back home.
maybe I can have them leave it by the door around the corner for me.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-09-11, 15:03

Ahhhh, that makes it a little tricky. Is there anyway they can hold it at the local facility and you can just pick it up when you get back?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-11, 20:05

As much as I hate the idea of forking over $299 for a phone, I'm thinking I'll pony up for the 32GB model this time.

If I can get a decent price for this current iPhone 4, I'd feel better about springing for the $299 32GB model.

In fact, that'll probably be my yardstick...if my current phone can bring $100 or more, then that's the "extra" to put me over the top, and I'll add that to the $199 I'm okay paying out of pocket. If my current iPhone can pay for 1/3 or half of a 32GB model, that falls into "no brainer" territory, huh? Off to see how much a 16GB AT&T black iPhone 4 is bringing these days...

EDIT: Holy cow, why are these two-year-old models like mine going for so much? And locally? Are people really getting $200+ for a two-year-old 16GB iPhone 4?

I always get confused by the market and buyers for these things, so is there something about them that brings such a high price after so much time on the market? Who in the hell would spend $200-300 on an iPhone 4 if they can get a new 4 for $99 (or a 4s for $199)? Is this the "jailbreak" or "off contract" market at play here? People looking to have an iPhone of recent vintage and wanting to sidestep the carriers in some way?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-11, 20:39

Anyone know if there is somewhere I can tune my Adium to so I can get the feed while at work? Kinda hard to watch a web page while passing through servers and such.

Basically something that is more in an IM app rather than web page. Adium is what I use for our in house jabber server so working with it would be perfect.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Noel

2012-09-11, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I always get confused by the market and buyers for these things, so is there something about them that brings such a high price after so much time on the market? Who in the hell would spend $200-300 on an iPhone 4 if they can get a new 4 for $99 (or a 4s for $199)? Is this the "jailbreak" or "off contract" market at play here? People looking to have an iPhone of recent vintage and wanting to sidestep the carriers in some way?
I think you're exactly right. I got way more than I ever thought I would for my (unlocked & jailbroken) iPhone 3G last year (although it was sold before anyone other than AT&T and Verizon had the iPhone, I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Anyone know if there is somewhere I can tune my Adium to so I can get the feed while at work? Kinda hard to watch a web page while passing through servers and such.

Basically something that is more in an IM app rather than web page. Adium is what I use for our in house jabber server so working with it would be perfect.
If you can follow a twitter feed through Adium, you should be able to get a stream from @macrumorslive.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-09-11, 22:14

@scates: don't underestimate the appeal of having an iPhone off contract. Some people buy them here to ship to foreign countries where they can make a healthy profit (so your AT&T version will be more valuable than a Verizon one). Some people need a phone and aren't eligible for a subsidized one, so while you're thinking "you doofus, you know you can get this phone for $99", they're thinking "I am saving $200 by buying used". It's a win-win for everyone involved.

Me? Depending on how big of an upgrade it is, I will get one. I have a line that's eligible for a subsidized phone. I bought an old iPhone 4 and didn't get a contract on that line just for this purpose. I figure I'm an actual bona fide iOS developer - I can justify these purchases now!

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-11, 22:16

I keep telling myself to become an iOS developer just so I can justify more too.

Noel, that should work perfectly! Thank you very much. Adium does allow twitter though I don't have twitter configured at work right now. I can for this, it's worth it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2012-09-12, 02:53

I constantly read about what the new iPhone might have in terms of size, features, materials, etc. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Apple's quality control, which in my experience could certainly do with improvement.
We have three iPhones 4 in the family. One of those was bought outright.That phone stopped working after a few months. I took it to Apple, and got a replacement - and now that has stopped working as a phone (no sound). For 700 Euros I expected better. One of the other iPhones has started showing the same problem intermittently, and my own iPhone 4 sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. And all that despite the fact that we are all very careful with our phones. I personally won't get any more Apple products unless I hear that quality has improved again. If I want crap quality products, I can get them a lot cheaper from other suppliiers ...