Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Is anyone's "Push" actually pushing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is anyone's "Push" actually pushing?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Gizzer

2008-07-12, 14:54

Ok, upgraded to iPhone 2.0. Upgraded to MobileMe 1.1 (from Software Update). But my Push ain't pushing.

I'd like to get feedback from others.

Basically:

Email, Contacts, Calendars refuse to be pushed to my iPhone.

And for that matter, it's pretty flaky as to whether MobileMe gets updated from my Mac (but there's another thread about that).

I'm more interested in the iPhone aspect though, as this means that even if I dock my iPhone, the calendar/mail/contacts don't sync because it says "The blah is being pushed to your iPhone over the air from MobileMe" and so therefore won't sync.

Anyone else experiencing this?

(For info, I do have my phone set to Push services, hence iTunes giving the above message on the Info tab for Cal/Mail/Contacts)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-12, 17:17

Mine seems to be working.

The one thing I've discovered that makes me not 100% crazy about "push mail"...before, all the silly FWD: stuff I'd get from people (friends of friends or former co-workers or whatever...stupid jokes, political stuff, "wacky pictures", etc...basically a Snopes orgy of horseshit), I could just see all at once, when I chose to check my mail.

But now my damn phone dings/beeps all throughout the day, and a good 35% of that is, you guessed it, the above useless nonsense.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start cracking the whip, blocking people, asking to be left the hell alone by people I don't really know, etc. Could get interesting...

"Listen, guys...I've got a phone that automatically notifies me of every incoming e-mail. You guys send me lame, goofy shit all day long that I never read, so I really need you to stop. And if I don't really know you - say, for example, you're some chick that worked with my Mom six years ago and you somehow wound up with my e-mail address - do me a gigantic favor and toss it, okay? Thanks."

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-12, 17:45

Why not just disable the push aspect(s) and go back to the old way?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-12, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Why not just disable the push aspect(s) and go back to the old way?
I have already decided to limit the push to contacts and calendars - no email push for me. "The old way" is indeed better than what pscates2.0 has described. I can check my .mac email by either EDGE or wi-fi when and if I have a spare moment for it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-12, 22:31

Good idea. Where do I go to make that happen (push calenders and address book, but manual mail)?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-07-12, 23:47

Can you set it up to only push from certain accounts?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-13, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Good idea. Where do I go to make that happen (push calenders and address book, but manual mail)?
Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> (your mobileme account) ->

..... ummmmmm ......

maybe I DON"T have mail on manual, and just haven't noticed the mail being pushed, instead of being checked hourly as before....
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-07-13, 00:21

OK, I got it now....

Settings -> Fetch New Data -> Advanced -> (your mobileme account)/Mail ->
change Push to Fetch or Manual
MacLahoriya

2008-07-13, 05:34

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

Quote:
Symptoms
With MobileMe Push, you can choose how often your computer syncs your contacts, calendars, and other sync data via MobileMe. If you select "Automatically", changes made on your computer may not immediately sync to MobileMe.

Products Affected
MobileMe
Resolution
Mac OS X

Selecting Automatic in Mac OS X allows your computer to immediately sync and update when there are any changes on the MobileMe servers. Those changes can come from your iPhone, iPod touch, the MobileMe website, or another computer. Changes made on your computer will be synced to the MobileMe "cloud" once every 15 minutes (or every hour in Mac OS X 10.4.11).

Microsoft Windows

Selecting Automatically in the MobileMe Control Panel syncs your computer with MobileMe every 15 minutes.
No REAL PUSH for Outlook. Is my this statement correct?
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-07-13, 06:04

Basically there is Push both ways between your iPhone and Mobile Me. But there is only one way push from Mobile Me to your Mac (in Cal and Address Book only). You have to wait for your Mac to Sync (push) with Mobile Me (every 15 mins if set to Automatic).

But Mail App will still only check every 5 min (or what ever you set it to). It doesn't Push.

Thats my understanding.
MacLahoriya

2008-07-13, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Basically there is Push both ways between your iPhone and Mobile Me. But there is only one way push from Mobile Me to your Mac (in Cal and Address Book only). You have to wait for your Mac to Sync (push) with Mobile Me (every 15 mins if set to Automatic).

But Mail App will still only check every 5 min (or what ever you set it to). It doesn't Push.

Thats my understanding.
Suppose I make few changes to iCal and Address Book and in next 10 minutes (before the next sync happens in 15 minutes) I am out of the office/home. I have shut down the Mac/Pc and before shutting down I forgot to do a manual sync. That means no updated data for me while I am on the road.

Not a clean PUSH then, I say If it is like that then I don't think I will be buying the MobileMe after the trial period.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.5.8
Entertainment:iPod nano (Orange) 8GB Phone:Nokia 5230
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-13, 07:09

Apple should provide an update where you can change the frequency of the sync intervals... 15-10-5 or 1 minute. That would make the most sense.

Has anyone seen the MobileMe 1.1 update in Software Update? Mine says the is no new updates available?

Last edited by Miko : 2008-07-13 at 07:23.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2008-07-13, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLahoriya View Post
Suppose I make few changes to iCal and Address Book and in next 10 minutes (before the next sync happens in 15 minutes) I am out of the office/home. I have shut down the Mac/Pc and before shutting down I forgot to do a manual sync. That means no updated data for me while I am on the road.

Not a clean PUSH then, I say If it is like that then I don't think I will be buying the MobileMe after the trial period.
Thats correct. From what i understand if you turn off your Mac before the Sync then it stays on your Mac. But if you add the entry on Me.com then it will instantly get transferred to your Mac/Phone. I would like to think that Apple will address this in due time but i have no idea how all this Exchange stuff works so i don't know if it is feasible on a small scale (like home Macs).

Nick
apple007
BANNED

2008-07-13, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLahoriya View Post

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe there's true two-way push between MobileMe and the iPhone, of which battery life is a concern, but no true push between MobileMe and machines running Mac OS X that are almost assuredly better-powered from a CPU standpoint *and* likely plugged into a power outlet.

The more I think about this, the dumber it gets. If I'm sitting in front of my CPU, I can think of plenty of scenarios in which it would be important for info. entered on my CPU to get immediately pushed to iPhone. But I can't think of a single reason why I would need info. entered on my iPhone, while I'm in a shopping mall or meeting or wherever, to immediately get pushed back to the MobileMe cloud.

I was never a .Mac user but really liked MobileMe because of its (alleged) push/OTA syncing, which would allow me to dock my iPhone with my PB a lot less often. But if this is how MobileMe will be working, even for now, it seems easier just to dock the iPhone than to rely on MobileMe's syncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Apple should provide an update where you can change the frequency of the sync intervals... 15-10-5 or 1 minute. That would make the most sense.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko
Has anyone seen the MobileMe 1.1 update in Software Update? Mine says the is no new updates available?
It hasn't shown up for me. I've read elsewhere that actually clicking "sync" in the existing .Mac pref pane might trigger the update in Software Update, but that might have been just coincidence(s).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-13, 20:23

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but I've gotten changes nearly instantaneously both ways, including a massive reorganization of my addressbook.
apple007
BANNED

2008-07-13, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I don't know what you guys are seeing, but I've gotten changes nearly instantaneously both ways, including a massive reorganization of my addressbook.
Well, either your changes were made right before one of the every-15-minute syncs took place, or Apple's MobileMe docs (see the part quoted above) are incorrect.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-07-13, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Well, either your changes were made right before one of the every-15-minute syncs took place, or Apple's MobileMe docs (see the part quoted above) are incorrect.
I suppose it's possible that it happened just before the sync. What if you say "sync now"? How does it work then? I'll check to see right now.

ok. I added a "test item" in my calendar. Told it to "sync now" and it was on my iPhone in seconds. Deleted the item on my iPhone and it was gone from iCal within seconds (and I didn't tell it to "sync now" and it wasn't at the end of that 15 minute window).
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-13, 21:21

The iphone and the MobileMe web-apps have true push functionality. the local apps rely on the sync function to push changes OTA.

Try adding a test item in iCal right after you sync, then check your phone, see how long it will take for it to register.
MacLahoriya

2008-07-13, 23:19

Quote:
The iphone and the MobileMe web-apps have true push functionality. the local apps rely on the sync function to push changes OTA.

Try adding a test item in iCal right after you sync, then check your phone, see how long it will take for it to register.
Exactly. The problem/feature ( ) is related to Mac/Pc----------->Cloud. In my test Cloud------->Mac works okay for iCal and Address Book and not with Mail.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

2008-07-14, 02:26

Quote:

I am not sure that is the correct solution as i would imagine that this would waste CPU cycles and it would be Syncing everything (address book, ical etc) when it would completely un-necessary.

If you watch this guide from Apple's website it certainly looks like Macs should Push just like the iPhone etc
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...r640-10cie.mov

One other thing is that i have heard that having Push activated on our iPhone kills the battery life (more than WI-FI or 3G) and i assume that his is because it has to maintain a constant IP connection to the Phone. Which would mean that it never truly goes onto stand-by...
Gizzer

2008-07-14, 05:15

Well, my Push is all working now (seemed to be up to speed on Sunday) but as with most people here, there doesn't seem to be any push from my Mac apart from the 15 minute interval update.

As for battery life on my iPhone, I can't provide accurate figures yet - since the AppStore opened I've hardly been able to put the damn thing down!
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-14, 06:24

Quote:
I am not sure that is the correct solution as i would imagine that this would waste CPU cycles and it would be Syncing everything (address book, ical etc) when it would completely un-necessary.
Well even at 15 minute intervals the sync could be unnecessary but I would imagine if nothing has changed, nothing would sync and we are talking really small amounts of data here. Your desktop email does this all day long when it sends and receives mail.

Just to be clear, I'm not in favor of the timed syncing on the local apps. I think once a edit is made within the apps some sorta push-sync operation should be performed in the background in order to prevent situations like MacLahoriya suggested, where nothing gets sync because you missed your 15 minute window.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-07-14, 06:53

Quote:
If you watch this guide from Apple's website it certainly looks like Macs should Push just like the iPhone etc
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...r640-10cie.mov
But the guy use "[...] all in a matter of seconds" for the iPhone. For the mac pushing to other devices, he just say "[...] automatically sent everywhere else"

I'm wondering how it worked in the demo at WWDC... maybe I'll look to see if it pushed correctly.

Edit: Can't find what I'm looking for. I remember seeing a demo with Steve or Phil making it, and a dude from the audience holding the iphone demonstrating the push features...

Anyway... just saw that image. I think it's just wrong advertisment. They should be more cautious
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....2&d=1216062612

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."

Last edited by dmegatool : 2008-07-14 at 20:29.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-07-15, 05:55

I've found what I was talking about. It's in the "Apple March 6 Event"... Phil demonstrate it as I remember it but we don't see the screen of the guy in the audience so he's probably in the Web interface... anyway

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 08:18

Has anyone tried to access the MobileMe account through the .Mac pref in Tiger 10.4.11? Every time I go to the sync panel it errors out. Kinda in the dark here so if anyone else has come across this issue and has resolved it any insight would be great.

Using the same user login and password works fine when accessing MobileMe from the web and in 10.5?
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 10:04

Quote:
Well even at 15 minute intervals the sync could be unnecessary but I would imagine if nothing has changed, nothing would sync and we are talking really small amounts of data here. Your desktop email does this all day long when it sends and receives mail.

Just to be clear, I'm not in favor of the timed syncing on the local apps. I think once a edit is made within the apps some sorta push-sync operation should be performed in the background in order to prevent situations like MacLahoriya suggested, where nothing gets sync because you missed your 15 minute window.
I would imagine that this could be done either on a system wide basis via some background utility, or by having a small chunk of code added to iCal, Address Book and Mail. I would have thought it might have been packaged with the Mobile Me update, but maybe there's another set of updates down the road that will take care of it.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-07-15, 10:57

My mail was not pushing until today after I synced with ITM (although contacts and calendar items were.) I think it does push not sync every 15 minutes.
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-15, 15:43

I was able to fix the issue with the .Mac pref in Tiger. Turns out I had to dump the "com.apple.DotMacSync.plist and com.apple.dotmactranslator.plist" from my System library.

This may come in handy for others dealing with syncing issue on Tiger.
luxuryreplica

2008-07-15, 17:53

I don't use Mobile Me but I came across this article today that may clarify some things:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/15/mobileme-not-so-pushy/
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-07-22, 22:09

i turned push and fetch off as i kept getting emails at 2 and 3 in the morning...

i think i am just fine getting my email on my phone manually a few times a day

it was like having a baby in the house again....fall asleep, phone buzzes, wake up, fall asleep, phone buzzes

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough