Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Yahoo! mail on the iPhone...a couple of questions re: push and sigs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Yahoo! mail on the iPhone...a couple of questions re: push and sigs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-06-18, 18:42

I have a secondary/"junk" account set up with Yahoo!, and it's what I use if I have to give an e-mail to a company I'm not super-familiar with, or if I order something from a place that will most likely be a one-time deal, etc. It's also the address I give people who I don't want to have my main "friends and family" address (leeches, skanks, nimrods, shitheaded co-workers, troublesome freelance clients, one-night stands/objects of regretful judgement, etc.).

Having said all that, I'd like to set it up on my iPhone, in my mail app, to be a little easier and quicker to get to, vs. having to launch Safari, go to Yahoo's site, etc.

So I went ahead and set it up (easy), but now I'd like to know:

1. I thought Yahoo! was a push-based service? Wasn't that demoed/talked about a year or so ago? Do I have to do anything on the Yahoo! end to trigger this? I've got my iPhone (3.0 software, of course) set to "Push" in my Mail, Contacts and Calenders set-up area.

I've sent a couple of test e-mails to myself from my iMac's main .Mac account (I can't ever get used to MobileMe...sorry ) and it hasn't shown up on my iPhone. Been a good 15-20 minutes. What am I doing wrong? Or am I completely mistaken on the Yahoo! push e-mail thing? I could've sworn that was one of the talking points, either with the iPhone 2.0 software or some other Apple release within the past 12-18 months (they kept pushing - no pun - Yahoo! mail during some event).

2. When I did a test out of my Yahoo! account on my phone (replying to someone, and then creating a new mail from scratch), I notice that my sig from my main (default) .Mac account (my name, phone number, .Mac e-mail and a little quote/phrase) shows up at the bottom of any outgoing Yahoo!-based e-mail.

I don't want that, but I don't see a place that allows me to set up a sig for my .Mac account, and then another (or none) for my Yahoo! account.

Can anyone answer or help with the above?

It seems like each account you set up on the iPhone (.Mac, Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.) would allow you to create a sig just for that account, instead of one default that covers all the others (I don't want some of these companies or individuals to see my phone number or my main, true e-mail). And I know I'll never remember to manually erase it before I send or reply each time.

With these two issues above, having my Yahoo! mail in my standalone iPhone e-mail app is no better than the way I was doing it before. It's got it's own set of hassles and workarounds to deal with...

EDIT: if this needs to be in Genius Bar, I apologize. Feel free to move it, if I was being blockheaded and put it in the wrong forum. I started out just to talk about push and sigs, but it did wind up getting kinda "question/how do I?"-heavy, huh?
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-06-18, 22:47

It's also the address I give people who I don't want to have my main "friends and family" address (leeches, skanks, nimrods, shitheaded co-workers, troublesome freelance clients, one-night stands/objects of regretful judgement, etc.).

That just about covers everyone, right?