Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Anonymous Browsing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anonymous Browsing
Dovek916

2009-11-19, 15:27

Hey All-

So my school blocks file sharing programs, even though they can be used for legitimate purposes. I was hoping for a way to get around this. I am already running tor and Open DNS, although I get the feeling that they are not working. Additionally, to use the schools network, they require you download "safeconnect", which basically verifies who you are. What are my options to get around this? Is it as simple as using a proxy server? Are there other things I should be doing, like tunneling? Thanks for your help

-Drew D.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-19, 15:48

OpenDNS simply changes your computer's preferred DNS lookup servers; it doesn't affect the way any other traffic is handled. The purpose of DNS servers is to convert the human-readable domain names (like applenova.com) to the computer-readable IP addresses (like 67.18.208.164). The benefit to using OpenDNS is that it's generally faster, more up-to-date, and far less likely to have bogus data than most other DNS servers that ISPs supply.

That said, you basically have three options:
  1. Use a different port if your file sharing protocol/client supports that. This assumes the school isn't doing any packet sniffing.
  2. Use an external proxy or VPN. With these, all of your computer's network traffic is tunneled through a single external endpoint. These options can be very expensive, though, since you're paying for the outside server and the bandwidth costs in incurs by tunneling all your data through it. You'd still have to use that "safeconnect" thing to establish the connection to your server, though.
  3. Move off campus.

Yes, torrents can be used for legitimate purposes, but the content of every legitimate torrent I've seen is also available as a "regular" download elsewhere. What kind of torrents are you finding that don't have such an alternative?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-19, 15:53

And, for what it's worth, tor isn't going to benefit you here. It's actually just going to slow down your other network use since it's adding network hops to everything you do.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dovek916

2009-11-19, 18:00

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think that OpenDNS mattered, but it was worth a shot. Do you know any good options for number 2, hopefully free? In terms of moving off campus, if only. Also, I didn't say that I was using the torrents for legitimate reasons , I was just pointing out that the school is doing an across the board ban on p2p, without respect to it being a very helpful and accepted technology for file transfers.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-19, 21:32

I'm interested in setting up a proxy and I'm pretty sure that SME Server can do it for me. I was looking to start a thread, but this thread seems relevant too!

My deal is that my work blocks forums. AN is one of them. Surely you can help me get around this so I can browse in peace? I tried to BPN but they block those ports. Remote Desktop for PC is open though I don't have a PC to connect too right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-11-20, 01:57

Ad. 2. Assuming you don't live at your school. Can't you set up a VPN on your home computer? If you are already paying a flat rate there then the extra cost should be non-existent.

4. Use 3G and to hell with their network.
Dovek916

2009-11-20, 02:42

I do live at school, meaning that this is my "home" computer. I'm going home for thanksgiving soon, is it worth/easy/cheap to set up a vpn? The internet at home is 756 k, so the speed is not blazing, would it even be worth it in terms of speed?

Drew

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-20, 03:23

If that's your home's downstream rate, then the upstream rate probably one-tenth of that, meaning using it as a VPN would be just barely faster than using a dialup modem.

Dovek916

2009-11-20, 16:33

Upstream is actually about 350k, but yah, I agree, it is most likely not the best option. What do you all use? I know there must be many ANer's out there who face this problem, whats your solution?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-11-20, 16:41

Buy music and movies with money?

Move?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-20, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Buy music and movies and software with money?

Move?
This.
Dovek916

2010-03-17, 02:03

Ok, so I am at home on break, and my parents seemed to have upgraded to medium fast dsl. In terms of tunneling, I know there are ways built into os x. Does anyone have experience in doing this? Any suggestions? Thanks

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2010-03-17, 07:52

Dove-

Look into SSH, which is builtin.

The way I see it, I wonder if the simplest way to do this is to use wget + rsync. SSH into the remote computer and issue a wget call to download the file to this computer then rsync will take the care of updating your folder so there's no need to sit and watch the download fill up and would only require that you have the patience of a saint.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-17, 12:31

Still trying to figure out what this has to do with anonymous browsing... 'torrenting despite school policy' would seem a more honest title.