User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

How much is my old MacBook Pro worth?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How much is my old MacBook Pro worth?
GOLDFRAPP

2011-01-29, 19:54

First of all, I've never sold anything bigger than an iPhone before. So I feel kinda nervous trying to sell my old MacBook Pro. What is a reasonable price to ask for the following machine?

MacBook Pro
15-inch
1.83 GHz
Core Duo

Battery is "swollen up", hardly holds any charge. Powers on (using cord) and runs Snow Leopard just fine. When on, fans are very loud, thus making the machine very hot on touch. SuperDrive plays CDs properly, but it does have occasional problems playing DVDs. There's a very small dent on the lid.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by GOLDFRAPP : 2011-01-30 at 15:14.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-29, 22:09

I'm seeing models of this kind on eBay hovering in the $255-478 range. Granted, those are auction bids. But considering the age and condition of the machine, those numbers may not be that far out of whack.

Gotta consider the age (this appears to be the first-generation 15" MacBook Pro early 2006, correct?), as well as the five-year-old spec and the battery, noise and SuperDrive issues. Naturally, it's long out of warranty so those issues, if ever addressed, would have to be paid out-of-pocket, which could get steep.

I personally wouldn't pay over $500 for it, and that's pushing it. I sold my 1.25GHz 15" PowerBook G4 (1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive, etc.) for $500 in September 2008, and it was five years old too. I think I got lucky.

But a) everything was working on mine, and b) the condition was perfect (no dents or dings).

So perhaps in the $400-500 range? Maybe to the right person/circumstances, the higher range? But it's tough to imagine anyone laying out too much over that for an older machine unless it was one of those "perfect timing/right person" scenarios...a secondary machine for someone on a budget, or someone's first Mac or laptop?

I'm not a pricing/hardware expert, so I'm just giving prices based on what I've seen online and relating my personal experience of selling a similar-sized Mac notebook of the same age.

Hopefully others here will chime in with their thoughts and suggestions.

My $500 might be a bit optimistic, considering all the factors at play (age, condition, etc.).

How were you planning on selling it? Locally via classified or Craigslist? Or posted on eBay or a similar site?

Do you already have an interested party? Or is it still wide open?
GOLDFRAPP

2011-01-30, 02:06

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, that's the very first Intel MacBook Pro, bought on the very first day of its release. I remember the excitement. I even remember the slogan on the official website: "What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC."

Actually, I saw an article on Macworld, advertising this web company called SellYourMac.com. Their approximate price offer is $250. Kinda hesitant to sell it for 1/8 of what I originally paid for it. Was hoping to get more.

I guess I should also try Craigslist. eBay is too much hassle.

More input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-01-30, 05:31

I really don't see where some people get their price expectations from! Your basically saying you have an old, knackered box of spare parts, but you think it's worth more than $250! Why?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-01-30, 08:44

$500 is very optimistic, I fear. I'd take the $250 and accept that computers are worthless after a few years, unless they're in absolutely pristine condition (and even then...). You've probably got a lot of use out of your Mac over the last few years. That's worth something, surely?

Personally, I wouldn't pay even $100 for such a machine, but that's because I'm fussy about things working just right. The beauty of the used market is that there might be someone, somewhere who genuinely doesn't care that the old 1.83 GHz Core Duo runs hot and slow by modern standards, that the case is old and tatty, that the DVD drive is on its last legs, etc. The trick is finding that person: eBay seems to work pretty well at that, since it brings out the risk-takers who aren't fussy about condition.

Good luck though! Are you getting a new Mac?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-30, 09:57

Yeah, if that site is quoting $250, my $500 sounds way too high. I believe I got very lucky getting $500 for my G4-based 15".

I do believe it's the battery, noise, heat and DVD issues that are the problems here, vs. simple age/specs and a small dent. Some people would be happy to own an Intel-based portable Mac even if it was older, but I think they wouldn't want to buy older and be saddled with those particular problems...true usability/enjoyability knocks.
GOLDFRAPP

2011-01-30, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Good luck though! Are you getting a new Mac?
I've already got one, the mid-2010 model (15-inch, 2.4 GHz, i5). As you can see, my old one has been lying around for almost a year. Just been too lazy to try to sell it.

Anyway, thank you, everyone.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-30, 15:46

Autograph it (I saw your album on the iPods in the Apple store earlier today. Cool.) Maybe that'll bring in a few extra bucks.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-01-30, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I really don't see where some people get their price expectations from! Your basically saying you have an old, knackered box of spare parts, but you think it's worth more than $250! Why?
+1

My old 1st gen MBP is a 2GHz in good material condition, but I didn't find it worth selling. The usefulness of such an old notebook easily surpasses it's monetary value. So I gave to my mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Autograph it (I saw your album on the iPods in the Apple store earlier today. Cool.) Maybe that'll bring in a few extra bucks.
That might be an idea. Alternatively you could wait and auction it off once you make your big breakthrough and become even more famous. Of course you might not need the money as much by then and Bono would nag you into donating the proceeds to charity.

luxuryreplica

2011-01-30, 19:20

Quote:
Agreed. I am sure a lucky fan would love it. I saw Goldfrapp in NYC a few years ago when Supernature was released. Amazing show. And the debut "Felt Mountain" is probably one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. Reminded me of Old James Bond movies mixed with folk and David Lynchian sensibility. Utopia and Lovely Head are stellar tracks...A truly unique and masterful album. Perfect for long drives under the desert sun.
GOLDFRAPP

2011-01-30, 22:33

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxuryreplica View Post
Agreed. I am sure a lucky fan would love it. I saw Goldfrapp in NYC a few years ago when Supernature was released. Amazing show. And the debut "Felt Mountain" is probably one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. Reminded me of Old James Bond movies mixed with folk and David Lynchian sensibility. Utopia and Lovely Head are stellar tracks...A truly unique and masterful album. Perfect for long drives under the desert sun.
Will surely do. Thanks for the advice.

Please, visit my website to enjoy all of the discography: http://goldfrapp.us (built with iWeb and NSFW)

Last edited by GOLDFRAPP : 2011-01-30 at 23:16. Reason: Forgot to include a NSFW warning.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-30, 23:03

Ah, I didn't even think about that!
¡Damned!

2011-01-31, 01:29

I always assumed that our GOLDFRAPP was a mega-fan, not one of the members of the band. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-01-31, 01:42

I thought it was some sort of coffee. Please correct me if I'm right.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-31, 11:33

I've always been confused.
Kyros

2011-02-01, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, if that site is quoting $250, my $500 sounds way too high. I believe I got very lucky getting $500 for my G4-based 15".
It might be less luck and more that Macs definitely held a higher resale value back in the PPC days. It's a bit ridiculous how fast Intel Macs lose value now. It seems that with the switch to Intel the used market has seen a significant boost in supply and hasn't gained much in demand, which seems consistent to me with the idea that Macs are/have been becoming more mainstream with the switch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-02-01, 04:46

Interesting point. Could be something to that. I do recall looking through eBay in late 2008 and seeing 15" PowerBook G4 models going for $350-550. The fact that I had the first-generation of aluminum 15" models (the successor to the TiBook, released five years earlier in September 2003) and the guy bought it for the price I asked, was great. He didn't blink or question it.
Frisco

2011-02-01, 06:53

Um, Leo Laporte always mentions http://www.gazelle.com/ for selling used electronics. Sounds like a good service but I've never personally used it.