User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 3
Page 6 of 13 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 19:40

Would it take more power/processing to drive more pixels, and be more taxing on a battery? Or does it not work that way...a screen is a screen, regardless of resolution? I honestly don't know...I'm asking.

Forgive a stupid question in advance.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-28, 20:37

I don't think it's a stupid question.

But i think you'll find the answer is less straight forward and more complicated than you would expect. (of course i could be wrong)

cue the experts....................

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-28, 20:52

Do the rumblings about the next version of iOS start around iPad or iPhone time?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 21:12

It's been anywhere between March and WWDC, if I recall correctly.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-28, 23:30

Interesting bit from 9to5...part numbers, AppleTV, etc.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/28/source...for-new-ipads/
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-02-29, 04:26

I can't see them introducing quad core and a new display next week. We all know how Apple likes to drip feed stuff. There is no need to go all out and the company are known for always keeping something back for another day. I think we'll get new displays but that will be it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-02-29, 07:29

I can see Apple releasing a new Apple TV with the iPad IF te new iPad is hardware capable of outputting full 1080p via AirPlay and the new Apple TV can make that happen. It's more of a companion product in that case.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-29, 09:44

I'm a little skeptical about LTE being in there. All the equipment is still for the most part power hungry first generation. The only solution available now is the RAZR Maxx one, double the size of the battery. And LTE barely exists on a global basis. VZW has the biggest network in the world right now and it's not very big though they are moving fast because they have to. AT&T? They have a few dots on a map. Sprint is building now but is cash strapped. For T-Mobile it's just a dream right now. Over in Europe Telia Sonera has a small network up but outside that there are only a few test markets. Plus they are deploying initially in the nosebleed 2600mHz band which makes the buildout that much harder. Just ask Clear. Outside of Verizon and Sprint I don't see these other carriers feeling the need to break the bank to get LTE out the door very fast when what they have now is fast enough.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-29, 10:21

My official prediction, based on a) all I've read, b) Apple's patterns/approaches and c) a bit of common sense/realistic expectations:

YES
- Higher-res display
- Improved cameras (but not 4s level)
- Same case design/materials
- More RAM
- iPad 2/2s kept around for lower entry
- Big "HD" push (see below)
- Buy-in for iPad 3 still $499
- New in-house software (iPhoto?)
- New AppleTV (1080, upgraded iTunes content, etc.)

NO
- 4G
- Touch/virtual home button
- No Mac or iPhone stuff (duh)

MAYBE
- A6 quad-core (certain models?)
- Something iTunes/music-related
- iOS iLife and/or iWork updates (Retina Display compatibility, if nothing else)
- Microsoft Office unveiled, onstage demo

As with all Apple events/releases, all of the rumored and expected stuff won't make it (and people will get all pissy and whiny over stuff they were never promised, and various dipshit analysts/pundits will wring their hands, caterwaul and/or gloat about Apple "losing their golden touch" and "poised for a fall" and "Android is now poised to steal their thunder and crown", blah, blah...

Ignore them...they haven't been right about anything in over six years.

And, as with past events/releases, it's not all about the primary product. This time, more than ever, software and content (to highlight and take advantage of the new display and performance) will probably factor in heavily. Retina-friendly updates and new offerings (Apple and third-party), 1080 iTunes stuff, etc. will all play a role.

It won't just be 100% iPad 3 bcause, let's face it...the device, in and of itself, isn't much without the apps and content (why do the Retina Display without stuff to make it "matter" and look good).

Anyway...

I'll copy/paste the above into any new, dedicated "iPad 3 predictions" thread that pops up between now and next Wednesday.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-02-29, 10:39

Paul, maybe it's just me but I think 4G LTE is a lock for the new iPads as a prelude to the new iPhone 5 later this year.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-02-29, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Paul, maybe it's just me but I think 4G LTE is a lock for the new iPads as a prelude to the new iPhone 5 later this year.
LTE "is" a lock. I don't know why people would feel any other way. Every dissenting opinion about LTE comes down to two points.

A. The power draw
B. The lack of LTE network support (widespread)

Power Draw- The problem with the first batch of LTE products was that none of the LTE chips did voice as well so vendors needed to use a LTE chip AND a 3G+ voice chip as well. Both chips were scanning and linking to towers. They were both fabbed at 40nm minimum.

Apple uses Qualcomm chips and Qualcomm announced their newest LTE Gobi chips last fall. Volume production should have happened late last year or early this year. The new Qualcomm chips are nice in that they support LTE, 3G GSM and CDMA and voice all in a 28nm process saving battery life and size.

LTE rollout - ATT and Verizon both plan to have more than half their networks on LTE by years end. But even if a someone lives in an area that doesn't have great LTE they still have fallback to 3G so an LTE iPad is future proofed.

Last but not least adding a Gobi chip allows there to be one cellular model of the iPad. If you've ever seen an unlocked iPhone setup on CDMA it presents both Verizon and Sprint as options because they use the same technology. SKU reduction is large for any company. Being able to sell one device that covers many networks is worth any incremental cost improvements.

omgwtfbbq

Last edited by hmurchison : 2012-02-29 at 11:12.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-29, 10:59

I just looked at the 4G LTE coverage maps in the U.S. for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. It appears to be in most of the major markets (especially for Verizon, with Sprint and AT&T a bit less...especially AT&T).

But if it's coming, and if those new chips are used, etc. I guess it could.

I don't know...
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-29, 11:28

Sprint has zero LTE. That was a map for WiMax. They plan on launching 5 markets mid to late year. And QCOM didn't start production until December.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-02-29, 11:47

I think LTE is important

Both Verizon and AT&T have been chattering about Shared Data plans so now if someone is looking at
an iPad with cellular they have to start thinking about the ability to move this device from a pre-paid account
to post paid.

You want as much flexibility as possible should you decide to leave one carrier versus another. I'm glad that LTE
is becoming the standard Worldwide.

omgwtfbbq
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-02-29, 12:04

Verizon recently announced that 'ALL' new devices on their network MUST have LTE.

Unless Apple is willing to drop iPads on Verizon, I think the new iPad will have to support LTE.

My guess is Verizon made that announcement only after checking with Apple to make sure they could/would meet it.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-02-29, 15:23

If we assume that the retina display is a certain, then it would make sense to up the processing power to match it, but that may be done simply by adding a more powerful GPU component instead of two more cores. However, seeing how other vendors are getting into quad cores and Apple presumably has the quad core A6 it would seem most logical to put that chip in the new iPad to make it sufficiently superior to any challengers.

As to LTE, I also think the iPad 3 would be the best place to introduce that. It won't need to do voice calls and it will have a relatively bigger battery to draw power from than an iPhone.

Keeping in recent tradition with the iPhones, I also assume that we will see the iPad 2 remain in production as the low-end option. Knock down the price a little and it will be a competitive answer to any new Android tablets on the market. Not that the iPad 2 will be able to beat them on the HW specs (except maybe in terms of storage), but with a combination of iOS goodness, lots of third party apps and a low price, the overall experience will still be superior.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-29, 15:49

Of course. It's rarely about outright specs anymore.

Interesting story just out at AppleInsider: 20% of non-iPad buyers would consider entry-level $399 iPad 2.

No kidding. I bet they would! Even they know what's what.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-02-29 at 17:05.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-02-29, 17:01

I remember reading that the original plan for the 2011 iPhone was to release an iPhone 5 as the new flagship model, the 4S as the $99 model, and keep the 4 as the free model (I could be mixing up some details but that was the gist of it). Instead, the 5 wasn't ready on time, so Apple made the 4S the new flagship.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a similar plan for the iPad line: iPad 3 with Retina and A6 at $499+, iPad 2S with A5X at $399. I don't think they'd keep the old iPad 2 around at $299 (since there's no carrier subsidy, it's harder to play at that level).

Anyway, my predictions...

Sure thing:
Retina Display

What I'd like to see:
32GB, 64GB, 128GB
LTE in all models
A6
$499, $599, $699

What I think we'll see:
Any 3 of the 4 traits above
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-02-29, 17:04

I think the iPhone 4S was the plan all along. I haven't seen much to suggest other wise, other than some websites trying to save face.

If anything, I think it's release in October and not earlier was the only thing that may not have gone exactly as planned.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-29, 17:15

Agreed. No way Apple was going to add an A5, faster radios, and a fancy 8MP camera with an image processing whatsit into the iPhone 4S and halve the price and sell it alongside an iPhone 5. I mean, what would that leave for the iPhone 5? The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5 in all but name.

Likewise, I don't see Apple upgrading the iPad 2 and dropping its price. When Apple drops the prices of iPhones after a year, they downgrade them, not upgrade them.

What do you all think about the rumor that only the 3G/4G models will be available in white? That'd be a weird reversal, but I'd guess it'd sort of make sense if Apple wanted to emphasize the 3G/4G models as the "main" ones (sort of like the rumored $699/799/899 price points do). Still, I hope they don't...I like the white iPads, but doubt I'd ever buy a 3G/4G model.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-29, 17:25

I don't think they'll ever do that. Where did you read those rumors? I check about 6-8 places a day and haven't seen anything about that.

I could see them killing the white completely, and just offering black only, before they tie a color to a particular spec/price level (I know there's precedent, with the graphite iMac DV SE...but that was a thousand years ago).

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-29, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don't think they'll ever do that. Where did you read those rumors? I check about 6-8 places a day and haven't seen anything about that.
I think it stems from some of the confusion around the SKUs. It appeared there was one higher end SKU, or lower end SKU - I can't quite remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: A quick MacRumors browsing led me to this article. Discussed briefly in the second-to-last paragraph.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-03-01, 02:12

there are a lot of shitty rumors out there right now.... especially the 8GB iPad rumor.

8GB would simply lead to a very frustrating user experience. It's not enough for an iPad. And the cost savings has to be ridiculously small at this point.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-01, 05:25

I think there will be LTE. Where I live in Osaka, LTE has already been installed on the towers and my carrier keeps sending me letters wanting to know if I'd like to change my plan.
SoftBank also launched a 4G service last Friday.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-01, 08:12

I would like to think that it will be 4G, retina display, higher capacities and lower prices and better camera but that's too much for this update. As someone said upthread, Apple likes to dribble out their features so that they are ahead of the competition but just ahead. I wouldn't say they hold back but they do like to keep people chasing a version behind what they're capable of producing.

Thus far, the Android tabs have been pretty shit so there's no reason for Apple to unleash the whole can of whoop ass on them at once.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-03-01, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I would like to think that it will be 4G, retina display, higher capacities and lower prices and better camera but that's too much for this update. As someone said upthread, Apple likes to dribble out their features so that they are ahead of the competition but just ahead. I wouldn't say they hold back but they do like to keep people chasing a version behind what they're capable of producing.

Thus far, the Android tabs have been pretty shit so there's no reason for Apple to unleash the whole can of whoop ass on them at once.
except, the 3G/LTE iPad is kind of a separate product, and Apple charges $130 for that single feature alone. It is not unreasonable to expect 4G/LTE for a model that cost $130 more than the WiFi model.

Also, last year, minus the processor bump, was Apple's modest update. There wasn't any competition and it allowed Apple to improve margins on the product.

I'm not sure Apple wants to go till next March without LTE support in the iPad lineup.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-01, 09:29

I hope you're right, BU. I've been holding out for a substantial change to the iPad 1 I already have and I don't know if I want to wait for the *next* one.

But more than LTE, I want Safari not to reload pages every time I switch tabs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-01, 10:01

Those crazy 7-8" rumors are sprouting up again...

From Digitimes, it seems, so ingest the required piece of salt at a size that suits you:

MacRumors

9-to-5 Mac

AppleInsider

I've never bought into this, but for the first time I can kinda imagine it happening...for two specific reasons:

1. The Kindle Fire. I know Apple doesn't "chase", but I also know they would hate to miss an opportunity. If they can get a 7-8" iPad in the ~$250 range (they won't have to go head-to-head and match the Fire's $199 for obvious reasons...people will spend an extra $50 for "the real thing", and the support/ecosystem that comes with it), it could be huge. Leave off the rear camera and just have one on the front for FaceTime. Make it WiFi-only, 16GB, black only, etc. Make as thin and light as possible, and pack as much of a battery in as they can. Streamline and simplify...one capacity/color.*

2. With the iPad 3 most likely going the HD/Retina Display route, a smaller iPad could remain at 1024x768 and everything still look/lay out the same. And, I assume, require no extra work or tweaking from Apple or third-party developers, right?

Or would it drastically re-shape the size, spacing, tap targets, etc. (a drop in 2").

If not, that would serve as a workable alternative. I wouldn't want to see a situation where developers and Apple have to scramble to support different layouts, resolutions and recreating the wheel by adapting to a third resolution that isn't an easy "double" or "half"...or where the layout grid differs from what is already known.

* I agree with BU above that an 8GB iPad is barely worth the hassle. I have the 16GB iPhone. After the OS and all, my phone shows me having a capacity of 13.7GB. I have 95 songs, 96 photos, 70 apps and always keep about 4-8 podcasts on, swapping out every few days. I also have six iBooks. I've got a couple of iMovie and GarageBand things onboard (nothing huge, but a few hundred MB). I've got 9.5GB available.

On an 8GB iPad/iPhone, I'd only have 1.5GB free...and let's face it: I have a lot less photos, songs, apps and books than many users would. There should never be an iPad with less than 16GB.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-03-01, 11:25

i'm not so much in disbelief about a smaller iPad.

The iPod Touch series is beginning to dwindle in sales and it's probably time to start looking at providing more value at the 300 price point.
People are buying 5" phones trying to bridge the gap between pocket phone and tablet and the Kindle Fire sold well despite it's many limitations.

Price is a factor for many and there's little reason not to enter this market with a well planned product. By keeping the same resolution as the iPad 2 it makes
for a more frictionless adaptation for developers and with iCloud keeping sync and backups it's a device that can easily be added to current iOS device ecosystems.

omgwtfbbq
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-03-01, 11:51

What got my attention are the rumors that said the iPad 3 would be thicker than the iPad 2. Assuming that's not because of the screen, then it would be to house a battery with more capacity, which to me suggests LTE.
ALso FWIW, just noticed starting last week, AT&T is now advertising 4G LTE in Las Vegas. So while I didn't care about LTE in the iPhone 4S, I am going to start caring about it with the iPhone 5.