User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 5 of 8 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  Next Thread Tools
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-14, 11:14

So I got my Apple ID straightened out, set up iCloud on my iPHone, and then at home I got it set up on my Mac Pro. I set it to sync a bunch of stuff to iCloud, including Safari bookmarks.

And then Safari started using 100% CPU, and SafariDAV started using 50-60%. This made Safari completely unusable, had to force quit. I rebooted, tried it again, same thing. I can't get to a single site because Safari becomes unresponsive as soon as I open it.

I'm assuming this has to do with syncing my bookmarks to iCloud, because of the SafariDAV service and because it only started happening when I turned bookmark sync to iCloud on. So it's possible the problem is iCloud itself, if it's not responsive or something it could be hosing Safari. After I get home from work today I will turn off bookmark syncing and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm gonna be pissed.

So far I haven't turned any of the services on my phone on, I've just set up my account.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-14, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
You can clear your complete Photostream if necessary. There really should be a way to delete individual photos, though.
It might be sufficient. Once all photos are shared, which you can verify in iPhoto, then clearing Photostream shouln't have any adverse effects. If you have any special pics that you want to keep on the iPhone you can simply copy them to the camera roll.

I think I'll give it a try.

Partial
Stallion

2011-10-14, 14:34

Photostream is by far the most appealing part of iCloud to me. Synching photos is a pain, I just want it to work seamlessly. There should be a way to delete individual pics. I don't want some of my more "fun" photos to show up on the AppleTV.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-14, 20:18

OK so my problem was definitely related to iCloud and syncing bookmarks. I got Safari open, and there were thousands of empty folders in the Bookmarks Bar. I deleted them all, and everything went back to normal. Don't ask me how those folders got there in the first place, they showed up when I turned syncing on.

As of now I have syncing turned back on and everything seems to be good. But that was one hell of a bug, and I did lose some bookmarks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-14, 21:04

Is it just me, or is all this stuff a bit more complicated than you all expected? While I'm no chucker or Eugene, I consider myself moderately savvy in the ways of Apple and their various iOfferings.

I'm up a damn tree with iCloud, iOS 5 and some of this stuff. There's some overlap/confusion/redundancy that I'm simply just not getting my head around!

Doesn't help that I'm into the early hours of my latest switch case (on a Lion-based machine), and I don't quite know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with some things.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-14, 21:06

Should be easy for you Paul with only one iTunes/Apple ID. Don't sweat it.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2011-10-14, 23:09

Had a HELL of a time today with my brother's upgrade from an iPhone 3G to a 4S. The only issue was his contacts. Today, I also upgraded his machine to Lion and 10.7.2

Wherever his contacts were synced to before that was gone. They weren't synced to Gmail, they weren't on iCloud (actually, half were), and they weren't in Address Book on his Mac.

Turns out there is no easy way to batch export contacts directly from an iPhone which turned this whole thing into a mess. It is partly my fault because I figured it would be better to not restore from a backup of something as old as a 3G to a 4S (but this was based on nothing but Gut.)

After about an hour of using the PhoneView demo I got everything on to iCloud for him and now it's working. Except that iCloud has about 200 duplicates of 500 contacts with no easy way to remove them. But for some reason there are the correct number of contacts on his iPhone 4S. Not really sure how that works.

:hmmmm:
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-14, 23:14

You should be able to remove them with the Duplicates feature built into Address Book. See if that'll work for you.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-10-15, 06:15

Photostream seems to work as advertised. It's just too bad that it doesn't include support for video clips. I hope that Apple will add this later.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2011-10-15, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You should be able to remove them with the Duplicates feature built into Address Book. See if that'll work for you.
That's the thing -- they are now correct in AB and on his phone. But if you log in to iCloud via Safari there are a ton of duplicates with no conceivable way to remedy it. I guess once the bugs get ironed out of iCloud and some more functionality is added we can resolve it. It's not a big deal really though.
ronmexico

2011-10-15, 12:30

I got iCloud up and running on my Mac mini, iPhone 4, and iPad. It is slick and I didn't have any issues. But I have two questions:1. Can you put multiple accounts under on iclound account? Can my wife download a song or take a photo from her phone that I can access on my iPad? 2. I think I know the answer to this already, but does AirPlay work with a macmini with the latest update like it does with apple tv?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-15, 12:30

MBHockey: Export the correct, complete list from AB as a vCard. Go to iCloud.com and delete all contacts. Import vCard to AB. It should sync up with iCloud.com and iPhone, and you'll be all set.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-15, 12:33

ronmexico: You can use a non-iCloud Apple ID for the iTunes store. I'd do it that way--use one iTunes Apple ID for iTunes purchases, and separate iCloud accounts for syncing, email, and the like.

It wont solve your Photostream desire, but at least you won't have to buy songs or apps twice.
ronmexico

2011-10-15, 12:53

Thanks!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2011-10-15, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
MBHockey: Export the correct, complete list from AB as a vCard. Go to iCloud.com and delete all contacts. Import vCard to AB. It should sync up with iCloud.com and iPhone, and you'll be all set.
That was my first instinct, but I didn't see an option to import anything via the iCloud web site. I figured since it had just rolled out it was pretty bare bones. Did I spend an hour fiddling with PhoneView last night for nothing!?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-10-15, 17:38

Photostream is the bomb. Took an iPhone pic this morning, opened iPhoto on my Mac later today and there it was. I LOVE that. I just took a bunch of pics on my T2i, imported the card into iPhoto, and now it's uploading those pics to photostream. I don't actually want those pics on photostream so I turned off automatic importing in iPhoto. That should get me what I want.

Very cool stuff, regardless, and I'll be using this all the time.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-15, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
That was my first instinct, but I didn't see an option to import anything via the iCloud web site. I figured since it had just rolled out it was pretty bare bones. Did I spend an hour fiddling with PhoneView last night for nothing!?
Not sure if you got what I meant or not... I don't think you can import vCards to iCloud.com, but you can to Address Book.app on a Mac. So... Export your non-duplicated contacts from Address Book.app to a vCard, then delete all of your contacts in Address Book.app and on iCloud.com. Then, import the vCard to Address Book.app. Since Address Book.app syncs with iCloud (and consequently iCloud.com), it should add your contacts from Address Book.app to iCloud.com.

Cool?
digitaldave

2011-10-16, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
You can drag and drop vCards into iCloud's web interface address book. I had a very similar problem with my contacts, and solved it by dragging my address book contacts to the desktop as vCards, deleting them from address book and my phone (to avoid duplicates), then dragging the vCards into iCloud. Once I'd done that everything synced up nicely and I have all my contacts back. One thing I did notice though - if I exported all my contacts from address book, the resulting file wouldn't work with iCloud. However, selecting them all in Address Book, and then dragging them out worked fine. I created a folder on my desktop to drag them in to, as I didn't want a load of individual files, but it only created one actual file anyway, titled "Fred Blogs and 68 others.vcf".

Hope that all helps :-).
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2011-10-16, 19:01

Ah, thanks guys! I will give that a try. I did not know you could drag and drop directly into iCloud. I was looking for an "import" function in there. I should have thought of that!

I'm not convinced fixing the contacts in Address Book alone work work since they are currently correct in Address Book yet iCloud is wrong. It sounds more like digitaldave's post will be more applicable.

I'll it a shot next time i'm home. Appreciate it!
digitaldave

2011-10-17, 01:59

One thing to try before doing all that would be to manually create a new contact in the web interface, with iCloud syncing on, to see if it propagates out to the other devices ok. And make sure you have a backup of your contacts ;-).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-17, 06:19

Is there a feed URL for photostream? I wonder if there's a way to automatically feed my blog or at least selectively do so.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-10-17, 06:28

I don't think there is. I've been looking too but it seems like a bad idea to share your photo stream. As it's don't now, it's really geared so you are the only one who sees it. It's for your camera, your Mac iPhoto account, etc. You're images are yours until you share them. Giving someone access to your feed would be the likely chance for too many images to be see that might need to not be seen.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-17, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I don't think there is. I've been looking too but it seems like a bad idea to share your photo stream. As it's don't now, it's really geared so you are the only one who sees it. It's for your camera, your Mac iPhoto account, etc. You're images are yours until you share them. Giving someone access to your feed would be the likely chance for too many images to be see that might need to not be seen.
That was my concern too. My thought with selective streaming wants to be able to pick the ones I wanted without having to upload them separately. I guess how it is right now is that we will have to download the photos into iPhoto then upload them again to whatever service you typically use. I guess it takes downloading off the phone out of the picture though.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-10-17, 10:02

I guess it's not ideal as they only stay there for 30(?) days.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-17, 17:08

Over-the-air (OTA) synchronization of my calendar, contacts, and bookmarks via iCloud between my MBA, iPad, and iPod touch has been working flawlessly. (My old iPhone can only run iOS 4, and is thus out of the loop. ) What a relief that changes to these three items now finally propagate without any physical connections between devices!

However, I remember extensive conversations about OTA sync over at AI, long before the split. Kind of crazy that it's taken almost 10 years to get to reliable OTA sync, isn't it? And unless your word processing, PDF, and spreadsheet apps are upgraded to work with iCloud, you still can't designate a folder of documents to be synchronized across all of your devices!

Yes, iCloud is nice for a free service. But to be honest, I would gladly return to paying the US$100/year of MobileMe if it meant that I could keep a bunch of documents in the cloud independently of what application they were created with.

Maybe Apple could buy DropBox, since they can't provide document-sync on their own?

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-17, 17:29

What exactly does the "Documents & Data" option in iCloud on the Mac do? I seem to be confused - I don't have it on, and I've been hesitant to try it.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-17, 18:06

Maciej - I think that option will let you sync files that have been created with an application that has been designed to support iCloud, e.g. iWork, which runs on both OS X and iOS devices.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-17, 20:49

On "Documents and Data"...

So I upgraded to the iCloud versions of Pages and Keynote on 10/12, and all my stuff synced up between the two devices. I opened Pages on my iPhone today. My documents loaded, then all disappeared a split second later. The same thing happened in Keynote, and on my iPad.

Seems I'm not the only one with this issue. The Apple discussion forums have many, many reports of the issue.

In investigating the issue, someone discovered that iCloud documents are mirrored to your Mac, and even deleted files remain (in a deleted items folder). Some have been successful restoring their files this way.

Needless to say, this is a big issue. Every document a user has is deleted, with no apparent way to recover them. Very bad.

(https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0)

As to what it does on Mac... Apple is surely prepping an iCloud-compatible version of iWork for Mac, and it would hook into the copies stored on the Mac. Also, other non-Apple apps can support Documents in the Cloud--I think they're already being sold in the Mac App Store.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2011-10-17 at 21:23.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2011-10-17, 21:37

What I'd really like to see is a file-browser type app, with versions for OS X and iOS, which could let me have a look at the "Documents" folder on my MBA, and in the automatically sync all of the documents in that folder to iCloud. The file browser wouldn't even need to have viewing capability. It could let you pick an appropriate app, or pick one for you.

Of course, it would be much easier if Apple would simply update iDisk for iCloud, i.e. with local caching on each device and OTA sync! Maybe at some point in the future?

As Mandricard used to say over on AI, "hope springs eternal!"

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-10-17, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
What I'd really like to see is a file-browser type app, with versions for OS X and iOS, which could let me have a look at the "Documents" folder on my MBA, and in the automatically sync all of the documents in that folder to iCloud. The file browser wouldn't even need to have viewing capability. It could let you pick an appropriate app, or pick one for you.
How is this different from Dropbox? I think it does *exactly* what you describe.