Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 12 of 13 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  Next Thread Tools
robb

2007-05-31, 07:09

Sorry to see the NTFS-3G for Mac OS X homepage has had to come down. I hope this is only brief, as it's a great project.

Is there anywhere else I can obtain it from? I'm new to Macs and need to access my old PC hard drives...

Thanks.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-05-31, 19:58

I'm sure you could find mirrors; I don't know of any first-hand, though. I think some of the version-tracking sites keep copies...

It shouldn't be down for long; I was just told it's probably best to take it down in the interim.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
robb

2007-05-31, 20:11

Thanks for the reply. I've been Googling for it, but with no luck: the only site (or two) I could find that didn't simply provide a direct link to your site provided a broken link instead.

Guess I'll keep looking...

I hope it all works out. (But should you feel like emailing me a copy in the meantime, I won't tell. )
hassanctech

2007-06-05, 12:49

I was browsing through a bunch of forums and I hope someone here can help me. I am new to MAC and I've installed macfuse and ntfs-3g. I've successfully mounted my NTFS drive and I am able to drag files into it to copy. EXCEPT - After the progress bar finishes for copying over the file it says "The operation could not be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

How do I fix this?
mourr

2007-06-05, 13:51

Hi guys,

Same here, as for robb; it is impossible to find the latest packages. I have been googling for the last four days to find a forum/mirror...nothing. Moreover i'm in the same situation than hassanctech, so I need to use the NTFS-3g/macrfuse tools scripts in order to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, but no way to find those scripts on the net....any help will be appreciated...
hassanctech

2007-06-05, 15:51

I don't know how many people are aware but it turns out that the: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some items." error can be avoided if you just used the terminal to copy files from place to place. Would be nice to be able to do it using finder. Also I have also been googling for quite a while to find the updated versions but have not been able to find them.
Slimemold

2007-06-05, 21:07

I'm using the MacPorts' latest version of macfuse and ntfs-3g. All is working wonderfully, except for the volume name on the desktop.

It says "MacFUSE Volume 0".

Previously, I used an installer that someone had put together, and the correct volume label was showing. It was just after migrating to MacPorts' macfuse that this started happening.

It's weird. The mount point in /Volumes has it as the correct label (WinXP HD). But finder thinks the volume is called "MacFUSE Volume 0".

Has anyone come across this, and knows about a fix? It's just kind of sad because this used to work for me before I migrated to MacPorts (since the install was, as far as I know, no longer supported).
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-05, 23:04

Even if you mount the volume on a correctly-named directory in /Volumes, that's not where Finder (and the rest of OS X) gets the volume name. You need a tool that interacts with Apple's Disk Arbitration service (part of Darwin).

That's what my tool did. I'm still waiting to hear back, but hopefully I'll get clearance this week. My packages will go back up once that happens.

I feel really bad; I hadn't realized how many people depend on this, and a lot of people have been clamoring for a comparable solution once I took it down (temporarily). I want to start publishing it again as much as you guys seem to want it...

szaka

2007-06-06, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
I want to start publishing it again as much as you guys seem to want it...
Why don't you publish your contribution open source, distribution unrestricted just like the NTFS-3G project and its Fink and MacPorts ports do? ;-) http://ntfs-3g.org would happily integrate and publish your contribution and give write access to the development source repository. Recently we also created a new forum for Mac OS X users: http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewforum.php?f=4

Szaka
fkick

2007-06-06, 14:35

Hey Guys, another Nube here trying to mount an ntfs drive properly. I've gotten to the point

familys-computer:~ family$ ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/"Untitled" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Untitled"
Error opening partition device: Permission denied
Failed to startup volume: Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/disk0s3': Permission denied
familys-computer:~ family$

I've tried Chucker's suggestion of

sudo chmod u+s /opt/local/bin/ntfs-3g

but I then recieve this error

chmod: /opt/local/bin/ntfs-3g: No such file or directory

Any ideas?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-06, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by szaka View Post
Why don't you publish your contribution open source, distribution unrestricted just like the NTFS-3G project and its Fink and MacPorts ports do? ;-) http://ntfs-3g.org would happily integrate and publish your contribution and give write access to the development source repository. Recently we also created a new forum for Mac OS X users: http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewforum.php?f=4

Szaka
I will if/when my employer gives me the go-ahead; in fact, distributing it from the NTFS-3G site would probably be good. I've still been working on it in my spare time, and the result is several scripts for Xcode and a slew of C code. The previous iterations were based around a shell script, but it was woefully inaccurate in some cases.

My new tools actually link to ntfs-3g, but I can't release them because I haven't yet gotten clearance from my employer. Unfortunately, the people that need to "sign off" on it (essentially, just see what I'm doing and say "OK") are extremely busy this week and next. However, once WWDC is over, it shouldn't be long before I have an answer from them.

Also, I haven't decided how to license the code I've written, but I've been leaning towards a BSD-style license. Or public domain. Mostly, I want to make it easy for a company like Apple or Parallels to use the bundle if it suits their needs. Licensing is a complicated issue that I don't fully understand (I'm an engineer, not a lawyer). For one, I don't quite know the effect of linking to a GPL library versus an LGPL library...

Szaka, if you want to discuss this further, just send me an email.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-06, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkick View Post
I've tried Chucker's suggestion of:
Code:
sudo chmod u+s /opt/local/bin/ntfs-3g
[...]

Any ideas?
Use the following command to locate your install of ntfs-3g:
Code:
which ntfs-3g
Then use that path in chucker's suggestion. I suspect you've still got my packages of NTFS-3G installed, which place the files in /usr/local/bin. I don't use /opt/local, because I don't want to clobber anything put there by MacPorts. So, it'll probably be:
Code:
sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
Your mileage may vary.

szaka

2007-06-07, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
For one, I don't quite know the effect of linking to a GPL library versus an LGPL library...
You can do the later more freely but not with the former. What you were doing was a violation of the NTFS-3G licensing. If you linked with or made modifications to it then you must have released the source code. But since you were doing mostly Mac OS X specific distinct work (scripts, etc) and the changes to NTFS-3G source code are publicly available elsewhere (Csaba Henk's performance enhancing ublio, compilation fixes) thus it weren't a real issue.

The source is GPL because of historical reasons. Many people contributed over the last 7 years and this can't be changed. If it weren't done this way then there wouldn't be open source, freely available read/write NTFS driver for Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DOS, and Haiku today.

Perhaps you know that one of our developers was hired by Apple to work on NTFS write support in 2005 and we all agreed to dual licence our past contributions (GPL and BSD or an Apple specific one) in exchange getting the newly developed Apple code back. But we didn't get. Luckly several people dealing with Apple and having negative experiences in the past have warned us about their unethical practices, so we didn't rely on them and kept working openly. Otherwise NTFS write support on OS X may have never happened, e.g. due to canceling the project because of some kind of pressure from another big software company.

Btw, are you sure it's not unlawful in your country if a company wants to supervise its employee's free time? At least it is in most European countries. In fact many companies are looking for developers who are commiters in a successful open source project since that's a very good sign for useful competence.

Last edited by szaka : 2007-06-07 at 10:01.
oscarjmg

2007-06-07, 19:00

Ok guys i know you must get a lot of people fighting with the Mac Fuse, well im one more in the line... lol

And i really really need help, i dont want to format my mac. The thing is like this, i have a External HD formated on NTFS, and as you will know i can read but i cant write, i read about the mac fuse and get it.

I installed, i installed the ntfs3 too and the problem that i got its the next one.

Now the icon of the Hard Drive its like the HD was a Network unit, i dont have a problem with that but the thing is that i try to write and it starts the transfer but, when it gets to the end it sends a message that "You dont enough privillege", and if i try to read and copy the transfer rate its now of 1MB p/s.

Please i really really i need help i would aprreciate a lot... Im new to mac, but oldie with Pc's i think i could do anything to repair that...

Please help me.... Ill wait for your help guys...

I look and other forums and they dont have answer for this, and i need this capablity 'cause i move greats amounts of data between the two computers.

The other solution could be, a program that modifies Windows so i could read and write in Mac OS X format.

bye... Greetings...

Im sorry from my english its not mi native lenguage.
BSD

2007-06-08, 19:59

Just to let you know, the latest version of the package (the metapackage that installs mactools and ntfs3g) had a weird bug in it. For some reason the DVD drive couldn't read 90% of the disks I'd load in the computer. Diskutility could see the disk but it showed it as not formatted and never showed up in the finder. It's not a finder problem as I tried everything to make it work.

As a last resort, I uninstalled the metapackage and installed the previous version (1.417 I think) and it fixed the problem.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-09, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by szaka View Post
You can do the later more freely but not with the former. What you were doing was a violation of the NTFS-3G licensing. If you linked with or made modifications to it then you must have released the source code. But since you were doing mostly Mac OS X specific distinct work (scripts, etc) and the changes to NTFS-3G source code are publicly available elsewhere (Csaba Henk's performance enhancing ublio, compilation fixes) thus it weren't a real issue.
Nothing that was published previously actually linked to it; everything in past releases was a shell script, and the performance patches that needed modification to work on OS X, I re-published. It's the updated version (not yet released) that I've been toying with using libntfs-3g directly.

It's just aggravating that, despite trying my best to be a "good citizen," the GPL leaves me fearing that any slip-up will leave me somehow vulnerable, or my forced adoption of the GPL for my code would prevent it from being included elsewhere.

Dave1977

2007-06-13, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarjmg View Post
Now the icon of the Hard Drive its like the HD was a Network unit, i dont have a problem with that but the thing is that i try to write and it starts the transfer but, when it gets to the end it sends a message that "You dont enough privillege", and if i try to read and copy the transfer rate its now of 1MB p/s.
Since today I have the same problem oscarjmg describes. Copying files with Finder ends with a message that tells me that I have not enough rights to do so.

When using terminal as a normal user I get the following messages:
Code:
mv: /Volumes/Volume/MacOSX/MacFUSE-Core-0.4.0.dmg: set owner/group (was: 501/501): Operation not permitted mv: /Volumes/Volume/MacOSX/MacFUSE-Core-0.4.0.dmg: set mode (was: 0644): Operation not permitted mv: /Volumes/Volume/MacOSX/MacFUSE-Core-0.4.0.dmg: set times: Permission denied
The "mv" command completes succesful, the file is now on /Volumes/Volume
When logging in as "su" everything works. How can I reconfigure MacFuse in order it works again with Finder?

I would really appreciate some help!

Greetings,

Dave
quantum7

Send a message via AIM to quantum7 Send a message via MSN to quantum7  
2007-06-14, 01:09

It seems like ntfs-3g isn't respecting permissions on the disk. When viewed from unix, everything seems to be owned by root, so you cannot perform many operations from Finder. You can always sudo from terminal when accessing the ntfs disk, but this is an undesirable restriction. Hopefully this will be solved when ShadowOfGod receives permission to release a more OS X-friendly bundle, but does anyone know of a work around for now?

Another thing, is it possible to access the drive asynchronously? The default mount is synchronous, which makes the disk ridiculously slow.
Code:
$mount /dev/disk4 on /Volumes/ntfs (synchronous)
fyi, disk4 is a G5.5 ipod formatted as a ntfs harddrive, if that makes a difference

Time flies like fruit, but fruit flies like bananas.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-14, 02:02

The solution is to pass ntfs-3g the options "uid=99,gid=99" when mounting a volume. This makes it look like the volume is owned by whoever's viewing the files. In fact, this is precisely what happens to an HFS+ volume on which you choose to ignore permissions.

If you're mounting it manually, pass "-o uid=99,gid=99" to ntfs-3g; otherwise, make sure the outdated ntfs-3g.fs bundle has "uid=99,gid=99" in the OPTIONS variable; you can find the script in /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Contents/Resources/ntfs-3g.util. The OPTIONS variable I'm referring to is declared near the top of the Mount() function.

applenova666

2007-06-15, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanctech View Post
..... - After the progress bar finishes for copying over the file it says "The operation could not be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

How do I fix this?
----------
Terminal options aside, I have often encountered the "not enough permissions" message even when trying to copy from one directory to another on the SAME DRIVE. Are you trying to copy files that you created such as a Word document or a picture or movie? If you are trying to copy application files or some other files that were placed in locations by an installer, you may need to look into the package contents and change the ownership of some Resources or whatever. Try this:
1. If possible, copy with "continue" to get a partial copied file/package.
2. Control-click on the original to show package contents.
3. Same for the copy.
4. Compare the tree of the contents of each to see what didn't copy. Those resources are the ones with system permissions or whatever. If nothing copied, all of the original is owned by system or whatever.
5. Using the Get Info from the Finder, make careful notes as to the owner/permissions of the original contents that didn't copy (or the whole item if nothing will copy).
6. Change the owner/permissions of those items to you with read/write and group: admin with read/write.
7. Copy the application or package again.
8. If no permissions message, you were successful.
9. Change the original and copied items' owner and permissions back to system or wheel or whatever it is for the original.
It works for me. Even if I fail to reassign every "correct" owner/permissions, it seems to have no dire consequences since I am only copying things that are not part of the system and I don't care who uses them. There will be scary consequences if you goof up the owner/permissions of some items in System folder or root level Library folder. But you shouldn't be pulling those strings anyway. As always, follow the 3 cardinal rules about computers: backup, backup again and keep tech support number handy.

Last edited by applenova666 : 2007-06-15 at 02:48.
applenova666

2007-06-15, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yes.
Indeed, it's a bad idea. NTFS is a very complex file system and keeps the drive quite busy. It also has a lot of overhead. This significantly decreases the flash drive's lifetime and available space. (Virtually the same applies for HFS+.)
FAT32 is truly the best option here......
------------
I suppose there is never one all-purpose recommendation. I seem to remember Microsoft touting NTFS as using less space than FAT32 and working with all versions of Windows. Maybe there is a lot of fine print there. Is the future one of two file systems? Or will we have to wait for a new system that will not have the limitations of HFS+, FAT32 and NTFS? I assume Apple is looking for ways to closely integrate Windows Vista with Leopard. Will they go for UFS, NTFS or something else to replace HFS+?
applenova666

2007-06-15, 05:30

Two problems with Macfuse:

1. It didn't work on my iBook G4, 10.4.9
2. It caused disk images to fail with an error of "No mountable file system".

The only solution was to remove Mactools and its cronies with Terminal command:

sudo /usr/libexec/rmpkg "NTFS-3G" "MacFUSE Tools"

Now my disk images mount fine. It looks like I'm sticking with FAT32 for the time being.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-06-15, 11:03

I don't think Macfuse works with PPC Macs, but I could be wrong.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-06-15, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I built all of the tools as Universal binaries, so it should work on PowerPC machines.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to one, so I could never try it. I've got a new version in the works that actually uses some C code I've written myself (atop CoreFoundation), and I've made sure to do byteswapping when necessary, so it should work on PowerPC as well.

Now I'm just waiting to get the go-ahead from management...

indiaca

2007-06-21, 17:06

Hi there!

Please forgive me if this is a beginner question, but I'm trying to compile ntfs-3g-1.616.tgz. I've followed the instructions posted here, but had no luck

It worked fine until step 7, but step 8 didn't work:
I typed "make" in the Terminal, but it told me: "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."
I tried to specify a path behind "make" without luck..

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Second, you need NTFS-3G.

1) Download the current tarball from here. Unlike the above, this one's a source tarball: we need to compile it. Again, you need to have Xcode Tools installed!
2) Extract the tarball locally just by double-clicking it in the Finder. You should get a "ntfs-3g-0.20070102-BETA" folder. Go inside.
3) Open the "configure" file (not any of the similarly-named ones, such as "configure.ac"!) in a text editor. TextEdit will do.
4) Find the line consisting of:
Code:
case "$target_os" in
Right afterwards, there should be a line containing:
Code:
linux*)
Replace this to read:
Code:
*)
This removes a hardcoded check whether your OS is Linux. The makers of NTFS-3G don't want to support non-Linux OSes because they don't have the hardware to maintain reliability.
5) Save the file and close it.
6) Open a Terminal window. Navigate to the folder you just extracted. You can simply type "cd " (with a space) into the window, then drag the folder from the Finder into the Terminal window; its path should appear after the "cd ". Then hit return.
7) Run:
Code:
CFLAGS="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__FreeBSD__=10" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
This will take a while. It will verify that your OS is suitable, and adjust some of the code to Mac OS X's specifics.
8) Now, run:
Code:
make
This does the actual compiling and linking: the building.
9) Finally, run:
Code:
sudo make install
If it's been more than a few minutes, you'll get another password prompt now. Afterwards, it should copy itself into the appropriate locations.

If you got this far, there isn't much left. [..]
quantum7

Send a message via AIM to quantum7 Send a message via MSN to quantum7  
2007-06-22, 00:14

Make sure you're in the correct current directory (step 6). The make command requires that you be in the ntfs-3g-0.20070102-BETA folder, since that is where "Makefile" is located. Did step 7 print text for several minutes? If not, you might not have been in the right place.

Time flies like fruit, but fruit flies like bananas.

Last edited by quantum7 : 2007-06-22 at 00:16. Reason: adendum
rampancy

2007-06-22, 02:09

I've noticed there's a new version of MacFusion up (1.2 beta 1) - does anyone know if this is compatible with MacFUSE 0.40?
indiaca

2007-06-22, 17:11

Hi oscarjmg,

I haven't seen an answer on your question, so I'll do that now:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarjmg View Post
The other solution could be, a program that modifies Windows so i could read and write in Mac OS X format.
There are at least two solutions available on the market that translate HFS/HFS+ so that Windoze can read & write to such volumes (drives, floppy disks, CD-/DVD-ROM etc.):
1) MacDrive from mediafour.com
2) MacOpener from DataViz. Look here:
http://www.dataviz.com/purchase/shop...l?prod_id=1136

Both softwares work well, cost around 50 $ / Euros but AFAIK there are (30 day?) trial versions available
--> give it a try!
Btw, I've used older version of both softwares and have to say, that copying files from or to HFS volumes is sloooow (around factor 10!). Maybe this has been improved in the current versions - you can figure it out by using the free trial versions!

Quote:
Im sorry from my english its not mi native lenguage.
I'm also not a native english speaker/writer, but it seems as if nobody cares!

Hope this helps,
Ben
indiaca

2007-06-22, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
Make sure you're in the correct current directory (step 6). The make command requires that you be in the ntfs-3g-0.20070102-BETA folder, since that is where "Makefile" is located. Did step 7 print text for several minutes? If not, you might not have been in the right place.
Yep, step 7 took several minutes. So I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place..
BUT I should add, that I'm using MacFUSE 0.4.0 & NTFS-3G 1.616 - both current & stable versions..

Can this cause the problem I'm experiencing?

TIA,
Ben
indiaca

2007-06-27, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It even works on a rusty G3 blue & white tower
This fine old Mac has been speed-bumped from 450 to 800MHz via a Sonnet G3 card, so it's still okay
The G3 is running Mac OS 10.4.8, MacFUSE 0.4.0 & NTFS-3G v1.516
As I wasn't able to compile the current stable version of NTFS-3G yet, I've got NTFS-3G 1.516.dmg from a friend of mine. Btw, he has a MBP running 10.4.10, MacFUSE 0.3.0 & NTFS-3G v1.516..

Copying Data from Mac to NTFS drives works fine in general and is quite fast:
1GB sometimes only takes a little longer than one minute to copy, depending on the speed of your drives it's up to factor 1.5 or 2 (1.5 or 2 min for 1GB)

Here are some things you need to know / to take care of:
- disks are mounted with a server icon
- the NTFS file system has to be *sound* - if not, the disk may not mount or may be read-only --> running disk check on a XP or Win 2k machine solves the problem. It's always a good idea to correct access permissions (under security settings) for your drive in windoze
- CDs & DVDs do no longer mount. I've heard that there are some scripts available that can solve this problem - I haven't had time yet to test this..

Greetings from Germany,
Ben