Bunny Etiquette
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2012-04-22, 06:22

Late at night.
Found a bunny.
HELP!

In a city and it is tame. Neighbours are useless, with no knowledge of said bunny!

Recap:

Bunny
Found
Running wild
HELP!
Dutch Pear

2012-04-22, 06:26

Hmmm... I have a couple of good recipes, would that help?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-22, 06:30

The only thing I know about bunnies has been learned from my cat bringing home bunnies she has killed or very nearly killed. Bunnies can die reaaaaallly easily if they're young, as they get certain necessary gut bacteria from the poop of their Mum, and if they don't have them yet they cn't digest food, and I don't know if there's anything you can do about THAT. If yours is tame and old enough I'd do whatever Google told me to do... If I couldn't get to a real vet.

Let us know what happens! (and don't let my cat see your bunny)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-22, 06:40

Bunny causing havoc. Reading google is no help. So far I have learnt:

Rabbit piss smells BAD
They like eating electrical cables
Pot plants are on the hit list.

Why wont it just go to sleep?

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-22, 07:33

I hope you have that thing for 15 years!!! LOLOLOL
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-04-22, 07:36

I used to breed rabbits when I was a kid.

Do you plan on keeping it if you fail to find the owner? If not, then the most sensible thing give it to an animal shelter or failing that have it put down. There's really no point in putting a lot of effort into all the practicalities of keeping a rabbit if you don't mean to do so permanently. And it's not like it's an endangered species.

Do you live in a flat or a house? It would be a good idea to keep it outside if possible. Otherwise put it in a large box that isn't made out of cardboard and make sure there is some straw or sawdust in the box so that it's more easy to get rid of the excrements.

What does it look like, can you determine the species?

How old does it seem to be? If it's not a baby you can keep it outside in a suitable cage or box. It' just needs some shelter (e.g. a smaller box that can act like a little house inside it's pen) and straw to make a nest in. And make sure it's cat/dog/fox proof. Also, when considering housing, beware that rabbits are very susceptible to stress and can actually be scared to death. Both by shock or longer term stress. So make sure it has a place where there is some peace and quiet. They are sensitive little creatures.

And of course it needs access to fresh water and food. They can all eat vegetables, straw and grass, but you can also get rabbit food at a pet store which contains all the nutrients and stuff that a rabbit needs.

Finally, I'm sure that there is plenty of resources on the web. Or Wiki.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-22, 10:35

Wabbit asleep (or hiding).

Not even thinking about wabbit do do or wee wee. Will look into the damage in the morning when options are more forthcoming.

As for more info, after much discussions with the rabbit I have determined that it is not a baby, and that it is a rabbit. Tomorrow Mr(s) Rabbit will go to work with me and hopefully someone will be in touch (it has been listed as found). Otherwise a flyer drop of the neighbourhood will happen.

Hoping I don't have to do it, but animal shelter beckons Tuesday....

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-22, 13:22

This thread is useless without pics!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-22, 17:28

Cage, straw, food, water = happy bunny.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-04-22, 17:50

Bunnies are very sweet. I hope you have fed him by now, and given him water. Yes?

Poor little thing. He's probably quite traumatized in general, to find himself abandoned and alone on the streets of a city. *sniff*
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-23, 01:43

All worked out for the best. He got a healthy dose of carrots and lettuce. Found out he was also house trained (made a litter box with shredded cardboard), which he obligingly used.

Spent the day at work with me (great conversation piece), though losing internet for half an hour after discovering he had eaten through our ethernet cable was not appreciated.

When I finally got him home, a few door knocks and 'viola' reunited with owners (who were blissfully unaware that he was missing...)

Animal rescue. Fuck yeah!

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-23, 04:52

Nicely done.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-23, 07:17

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-04-23, 11:30

Awesome!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-04-23, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
All worked out for the best. He got a healthy dose of carrots and lettuce. Found out he was also house trained (made a litter box with shredded cardboard), which he obligingly used.

Spent the day at work with me (great conversation piece), though losing internet for half an hour after discovering he had eaten through our ethernet cable was not appreciated.

When I finally got him home, a few door knocks and 'viola' reunited with owners (who were blissfully unaware that he was missing...)

Animal rescue. Fuck yeah!
You did a great job in caring for our little friend. If I were lost, I hope I would turn up on 'your' doorstep. Fortunately, we could pass wrt the litter box. Sounds like he'd be better off with *you* than with the neighbors who hadn't even noticed he was missing by the second day! Grrrr.

Wow. I can't believe he headed straight for cable destruction when he was at your workplace. Wonder what they find so delicious about cables.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-04-23, 19:24

Must be something good, my daughter had problems with sheep chewing through outside telephone cables!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-24, 03:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
You did a great job in caring for our little friend. If I were lost, I hope I would turn up on 'your' doorstep. Fortunately, we could pass wrt the litter box. Sounds like he'd be better off with *you* than with the neighbors who hadn't even noticed he was missing by the second day! Grrrr.

Wow. I can't believe he headed straight for cable destruction when he was at your workplace. Wonder what they find so delicious about cables.
I'm a sucker for a wabbit in distress. Honestly though it was a PITA looking after this thing and was a complete wreck. Slept 12 hours last night to recoup my strength! This is why I will never have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Must be something good, my daughter had problems with sheep chewing through outside telephone cables!
It's like it was taunting me; knew it was bad but did the big FU anyway. Had to construct a messy trapezoidal barrier to thwart dear bunny.

Can tell you my Billy Big Balls Halo of Goodness was shining hard at work today. Lost Rabbit? Let me sort dat shit out for you.

Though in all honesty, to me it is people like this who should be commended.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-04-25, 18:57

Quote:
Though in all honesty, to me it is people like this who should be commended.
That clip was... heartbreaking.

The ending was like the difference between night and day. Such unutterable joy and delight.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-04-25, 22:50

Glad the bunny found a home...bummed there are no pics of said bunny.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2012-04-27, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
That clip was... heartbreaking.

The ending was like the difference between night and day. Such unutterable joy and delight.
Yep, not the most pleasant of clips. You think you are looking at rubbish, and then she moves. Must be in interesting life full of extreme highs (and unfortunately lows), and it makes me feel good inside that there are people out their with more guts that I will ever have. I would just be a quivering wreck doing that job due to emotional burnout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Glad the bunny found a home...bummed there are no pics of said bunny.
I did grab a few pics of the bunny, but action jackson bunny kept on busting a move every time I tried taking his mugshot. Blurred bunny, so I think I deleted them. Will investigate my camera tomorrow and if so will try and post them (that way you can laugh at my camera ability as well!)

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-08, 18:50

The first rule of Bunny Etiquette is

Spoiler (click to toggle):

She has to know how to skate. Slapshot optional.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-05-08, 20:44

Quote:
...it makes me feel good inside that there are people out their with more guts that I will ever have. I would just be a quivering wreck doing that job due to emotional burnout.
I am cowardly too, I'm afraid. Just a glimpse of an animal suffering or in pain will be seared into my mind forever, and will torment me when my thoughts touch on life's (and people's) cruelties and casual neglect of these innocent creatures who have been put in our care.

I have the greatest respect for those brave people who can go out and search for animals who are abandoned and desperately need care. I would be the same quivering wreck as you, so my aid will have to be financial at this point.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-01, 03:35

So now I have a sparrow.

Outside. On the ground. Falling over.

Currently sitting in a wicker cage with a towel draped over it (night time at the moment). Very placid as I could pick it up and almost looked like it was falling asleep/resigned to the fact when I tipped it over to see if the feet were ok (which I think they are).

I don't think it is a fledging, but more a dazed/drunk sparrow*. Neighbours kitten was poking around about 10 minutes afterwards so I am wondering it was a plaything for awhile. Flatmate said she saw it about 20 minutes prior and decided to leave it there because she "didn't know what to do with it". How about not leaving it for the neighbours cats!!

Any info/insights appreciated.

*Pirates of the Caribbean has a lot of hits when looking for "drunken sparrow"

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-01, 05:39

After two hours of watching Noah (corrugated iron? stone ents? really?) and the wasted talents of Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson (fap fap fap) my little friend (the sparrow you dirty minded people) started to get a little restless.

Little past its bedtime but walking and flying fine and flew the coup. Now I just have to deal with the little treasures it left behind!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-01, 12:01

Holy thread bumps, Batman!

I was going to say "contact your local no-kill Sparrow Rescue Shelter immediately!" There are dozens in every major city.
(Seriously though I'd probably call a vet and ask their advice next time. Can't hurt.)

Glad the thing flew away but in the end someone's cat will likely get it. Few people realize the natural destruction that cats sew. In most neighborhoods dozens of birds, rabbits and other critters go missing and are never reported to the proper authorities. Never take your eye off a cat, or else you might end up like this:

Spoiler (click to toggle):

18 people were killed by liver eating cats last year...

Reason #482 why dogs are better than cats. (Technically it's reason #1 but it's important to understand how many there really are.)

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2015-03-01 at 12:14.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2015-03-01, 13:11

It's a good thing none of the old folks in my neighbourhood found that bunny. It's quite the dish in the old country.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-02, 05:32

Moogs what movie is that from? Or part of your private collection?

Cats are evil bastards, but they are soft and fluffy.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-07, 13:04

Quote:
Moogs what movie is that from? Or part of your private collection?

Cats are evil bastards, but they are soft and fluffy.

I have met only one cat that didn't want to kill me. OK 2 cats that didn't want to kill me and neither of them were fluffy. But they were soft.

The rest are devils.

(Tales from the Dark Side, I think... was like a follow-up to Tales from the Crypt if i remember right. )

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2015-03-07 at 14:32.