User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is it just me or do CD-Rs not play nice with Macs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is it just me or do CD-Rs not play nice with Macs?
Wrao
Yarp

2012-04-26, 19:45

I have noticed that with both my Macbook and my iMac, when trying to rip or burn CD-Rs there are assorted 'issues'. The most noticeable is annoying buzzing noises coming from the machine. Noises that do not exist with commercially pressed CDs. I think that CD-Rs that have home labeling stickers are the worst offenders but all CD-Rs seem to be spotty. In conjunction with that, some won't read the first time I insert them but will the second(or third or Nth) When again, I've never really had any of these issues with commercially pressed CDs or DVDs. Has anyone else experienced weird issues with the disc drives on their macs and if so, have you noticed any correlation to the type of disc used?

My only assumption at the moment, short of a possibly faulty drive(though I don't believe this is the case, as commercially pressed CDs and DVDs still work perfectly) is that maybe the label on the disc is too thick or textured in such a way that is interfering with the RPMs. That seems like it would be pretty far fetched though given how fast these things rotate, but they are also made to be pretty slim and low tolerance as far as thickness is concerned so I really don't know. So I guess it could also just be the 'cheap' media used? but it's hard to imagine what physical property could cause the drive to act so strange. Thoughts?