Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Another great Apple support experience

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Another great Apple support experience
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2012-02-25, 10:43

I recently changed from a 15" MBP to a 13" MBA. I'm constantly bringing my computer to and from class, coffee shops, and libraries and the 15" MBP was becoming too much of a hassle. Especially considering I didn't use it for all its power. It was a 2010 model, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB ram, SSD. I sold it on ebay about a month ago and bought a 13" Air after using my friend's a few times. The sale of the MBP nearly covered the cost of the MBA: $50 short.

After 4-5 weeks of owning the Air i noticed faint horizontal lines going across the screen and vertical ones on the sides of them. I realized it was an etched imprint of the trackpad on the screen. Yikes. I am careful with my MBA but it seems it got smushed in my backpack with only a few books (the backpack does have its own laptop compartment but i guess it wasn't enough.)

I was annoyed by this mainly because I had been so vigilant with every Mac laptop I've owned since my PowerBook G4 that got the keys etched into the screen. I've used a fitted microfiber cloth on the keyboard to prevent this from happening. But inexplicably I didn't do that for the new Air. I figured, "maybe that's just me being overly cautious."

I took it in to the genius bar and showed them the lines. He saw it immediately and asked me if I had dropped or damaged it. I said no, but that it did go in my backpack with books sometimes. He decided to repair it anyway. I was very happy because I was convinced they would deny service. Since the machine was in tip top shape otherwise, he said it shouldn't have happened. He said something like, "this would drive me nuts too...once you see it, you never stop seeing it." Exactly, i said. It wasn't so much of a bother during normal use but I try to keep my stuff immaculate and something like that...I would notice it every day.

As he was putting the repair into the computer he stopped when he realized it was only 5 weeks old. He said, "No...that doesn't work for me. I don't like this." Instead, he gave me a brand new MBA on the spot (minus the accessories and retail box -- but they did remove it from a new, sealed retail box and just hand it to me in its plastic wrapping.) I couldn't have been happier.

On the way out of the store, from the Amazon app on my iPhone, i bought a microfiber cloth to sit on the keyboard for when I carry the computer anywhere.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-02-25, 12:27

Sweet! Nice to see Apple has such a nice culture still.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-25, 12:45

Makes you feel good about owning a mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-02-25, 13:41

Wow...I wasn't expecting that. I was all geared for a "they fixed it, on the spot and I didn't have to wait or come back" story. Never imagined them forking over a brand new model like that.
YouOweNut

Send a message via AIM to YouOweNut  
2012-02-28, 20:34

Thats awesome! I've had great experiences at the genius bar too where they have sent my computer in for repairs without me even asking. And out of warranty!

Unfortunately not everyone gets to deal with such helpful employees. A friend of mine is just about through with Apple. Her 2009 iMac started acting up a few months ago, being extremely slow and not opening applications. Its pretty much unusable right now. Both times that she took it to the genius bar the guy created an additional account on it so she wouldn't lose her pictures but still be able to use the computer .

It seems like they didn't even try to fix it. Whatever problem the iMac had, carried over to the newly created accounts and now she has 3 or 4 accounts with different passwords that are all extremely slow and just don't work right. She doesn't know much about computers so she just went along with what the genius was doing and is now left with a useless iMac.

Tonight I'm helping her backup all her pictures then wipe the HD and reinstall the OS. I'm hoping it was just a software problem and that starting fresh will resolve the problem. After its fixed I'll show her MBHockey's story so she can see that her experience with Apple is not typical. There's nothing I hate more than when recent switchers get screwed at the genius bar by a lazy employee then swear off Apple forever because of it.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-02-28, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouOweNut View Post

Tonight I'm helping her backup all her pictures then wipe the HD and reinstall the OS.
That would have been my suggestion to. Hope all goes well and it fixes the problem. Good luck.