User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Beer + Powerbook trackpad button = Doh. Help?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Beer + Powerbook trackpad button = Doh. Help?
ender22ds

2005-09-03, 14:28

Last week my 17" powerbook got splashed (not soaked or anything) with a small amount of beer. It was running. The beer splashed mainly on the trackpad and button. I immediately turned of the PB, unplugged it, and took out the battery (after attempting to soak up the beer as best as I could, of course). Waited three days, then rebooted it today. Everything runs with no problem, thank jebus.

However, my trackpad button now is a little sticky in its opperation and doesn't seem to always work when I click.

I took the PB to the Apple Store today and they said it would cose $350 to $1000 (!!!) to repair, and they'd have to ship it off for 6 weeks. I am hoping it isn't so bad. If anyone has any advice (where to go online to get cleaning instructions, good repair places, whether or not I should go to an authorized Apple repair guy, etc), I'd really appreciate it.

D

ps--I unfortunately didn't get the apple care package, and it's been over a year since I bought my G4.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-03, 14:38

Well, don't beat yourself up over not having Applecare, it doesn't cover accidental damage, just hardware failures.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-09-03, 19:34

Someone once mentioned that using rubbing alcohol will help with displacing moisture, so you could pop off the button, apply rubbing alcohol with a good piece of cloth (chamois is best as it won't leave lint behind).

I could be wrong, so need someone to verify that.
SlackerDX

2005-09-03, 21:44

I had a similar incident but instead of beer it was bong water...the button still works but it makes a click sound. Thank god nothing worse happened! Does your button work at all?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-09-04, 04:23

You could try something like this article (http://www.sterpin.net/uk/clavieralu15uk.htm) to get the lid off and clean all round the button area.
ender22ds

2005-09-04, 10:54

Thanks for the advice and information; yes, the button still works about 90 percent of the time. The mechanical action of the trackpad button is now stiff and it makes a loud 'clack' each time.

Any advice about Apple authorized repair places? Would you suggest them over just a run-of-the-mill computer repair place?

Thanks!