User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 8 of 8 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8]  Thread Tools
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-18, 14:51

I love icloud! Findmyiphone, and photo stream were all impressive, but nothing impressed me as much as when I stopped my podcast on one device, and could pick up another one and resume playing right where it stopped!

The only thing I would add to it, would be some Dropbox like functions...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-18, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphguy View Post
The only thing I would add to it, would be some Dropbox like functions...
Apple needs to add DropBox/iDisk functionality or some form of "Documents in the Cloud" sharing immediately. It is a major hole in the iCloud feature set.
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-19, 00:19

I sincerely hope they're planning to do that, as well as upping the initial free storage with 10gb or so.

But one could fear, that its not in the cards. That they'll keep it as a glorified backup/syncing option.

Imagine how awesome it'd be though, if they DID go the iDisk route, as well as some sort of cloud iTunes.

All your videos and music available instantly through the cloud. The only time you'd need to put actual video files on your iPad, is when you're taking a long flight. The rest of the time you could just click 'video' and see all of the 2 TB of movies and TV programs you have at home show up.

You click one of them, and it starts streaming wirelessly through your wifi or LTE connection.

Something like that would also make carriers love Apple even more, and make them push iOS sales as hard as possible.
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-19, 00:23

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think they might be working on something like that as THE big tentpole feature of iOS 7.

If anyone has the datacenter for it, surely it's Apple.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-12-19, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Apple needs to add DropBox/iDisk functionality or some form of "Documents in the Cloud" sharing immediately. It is a major hole in the iCloud feature set.
Are we talking about sharing iCloud documents between apps? Or between users?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-12-19, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Are we talking about sharing iCloud documents between apps? Or between users?
either really.

both features are nonexistent. But i would like to be able to share between users as well as between apps.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-01-17, 16:50

I just ran into this problem.

I'm not able to access a document created in iA Writer on my iPad with anything else than iA Writer. I would really have liked to continue editing it in Pages on my iMac, but in order to do that I have to send it from my iPad. I can't just open it from my Pages, despite the document is in iCloud. I suppose that in some cases this restriction makes sense, but iA Writer only produces very simple text files, so I really don't accept this limitation as reasonable.

Of course I could use Drop Box, but that really doesn't speak too well about iCloud usefulness.

Basically, I'm not so sure now, that I'm willing to accept the "app centric" model over an exposed filesystem.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-17, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I just ran into this problem.

I'm not able to access a document created in iA Writer on my iPad with anything else than iA Writer. I would really have liked to continue editing it in Pages on my iMac, but in order to do that I have to send it from my iPad. I can't just open it from my Pages, despite the document is in iCloud. I suppose that in some cases this restriction makes sense, but iA Writer only produces very simple text files, so I really don't accept this limitation as reasonable.

Of course I could use Drop Box, but that really doesn't speak too well about iCloud usefulness.

Basically, I'm not so sure now, that I'm willing to accept the "app centric" model over an exposed filesystem.
It doesn't work in the way Apple has implemented it. It is confusing and counter intuitive.

Dropbox works better and is easier. And you're right, that doesn't speak too well about iCloud.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-01-17, 17:05

I suppose a pragmatic way of seeing it is, that iOS apps are "extensions" of OS X apps and that as long as you use the same on both ends everything will work just fine. Unfortunately, I like Pages best on OS X and iA Writer best on iOS.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-17, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I suppose a pragmatic way of seeing it is, that iOS apps are "extensions" of OS X apps and that as long as you use the same on both ends everything will work just fine. Unfortunately, I like Pages best on OS X and iA Writer best on iOS.
Even then, if Apple really insists on simplifying the file structure it would seem to make more sense for each app to show only file formats supported by that app that are stored in iCloud. That would for the most part eliminate the app centric problems and keep it simple and straightforward. It also seems ridiculously easy to implement.
Partial
Stallion

2013-01-18, 00:09

I think the answer is a combination of the iCloud approach and the Dropbox approach. iCloud is really, really nice for some file management. I know that there are definitely cases where I'd appreciate full disk access like Dropbox, though, too. Dropbox is truly an incredible product.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-18, 02:17

You know what's so incredible about Dropbox?

It just makes sense.

Apple seems to have abdicated the "Just Makes Sense" throne AND they SEEM to have forgotten the concept of the Mac Power User.

Prove me wrong. Go on.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-01-18, 04:08

Dropbox and iCloud (Documents in the Cloud) often get compared, but have rather different design parameters — Dropbox's are "a folder with all your files, available no matter where you are", whereas iCloud's are "why are we still dealing with files?". Dropbox's approach is simple and works well, but isn't daring at all; iCloud's approach is rather radical, possibly a bit ahead of its time, buggy, full of interoperability issues, and not even internally consistent.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-01-18, 04:17

Yup. Nailed it. DropBox is *fantastic* for file-based data. I use it all the bloody time.

iCloud, OTOH, is data-centric, not file-centric. Any 'files' are just incidental views onto the data.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-18, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Dropbox and iCloud (Documents in the Cloud) often get compared, but have rather different design parameters — Dropbox's are "a folder with all your files, available no matter where you are", whereas iCloud's are "why are we still dealing with files?". Dropbox's approach is simple and works well, but isn't daring at all; iCloud's approach is rather radical, possibly a bit ahead of its time, buggy, full of interoperability issues, and not even internally consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yup. Nailed it. DropBox is *fantastic* for file-based data. I use it all the bloody time.

iCloud, OTOH, is data-centric, not file-centric. Any 'files' are just incidental views onto the data.
Let's cut through the conceptual bullshit. iCloud is files. The documents appear as files, they are saved as files, to the user they are files. But iCloud decides it is smarter than the user and organizes those files as it sees fit and sets up invisible walls around those files that create a host of complications for the user.

Doesn't matter what it is suppose to be in concept, in practice it is an awful and restrictive file browser.
Partial
Stallion

2013-01-18, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Let's cut through the conceptual bullshit. iCloud is files. The documents appear as files, they are saved as files, to the user they are files. But iCloud decides it is smarter than the user and organizes those files as it sees fit and sets up invisible walls around those files that create a host of complications for the user.

Doesn't matter what it is suppose to be in concept, in practice it is an awful and restrictive file browser.
I don't agree that it's awful. I know from personally watching parents and wife's parents use computers, it is much easier for the file to manage itself rather then them doing it. When they manage files, I get called over to find what they're looking for on the computer.

It would be nice if there was a general purposes bucket in iCloud like dropbox for users looking for more flexibility. I'm surprised this doesn't exist yet. I suspect it will in the future.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-18, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I don't agree that it's awful. I know from personally watching parents and wife's parents use computers, it is much easier for the file to manage itself rather then them doing it. When they manage files, I get called over to find what they're looking for on the computer.
It's even more annoying when the file fails to manage itself intuitively and you have no way to change it. This effects all level of users. It's baffling to novices and it's really annoying to pro users.

There is no reason Apple can't set iCloud to be file type centric rather than app centric. That wouldn't solve every issue, but it would be a lot better now and it would appear very similar.

Right now it doesn't "Just Work" so there is no defending it. Apple can do better. And they probably will.... but as many here have been noting lately, they sure have been moving at a snail's pace when it comes to software and services.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-30, 10:30

Friday I had to get a new iPhone. Got it swapped out at the Apple store and restored from iCloud but ever since, my apps on my Macbook Pro haven't been functioning properly with iCloud. Messages won't connect, Notes isn't updating, iCal is fine, haven't tried any other ones yet though. Any suggestions?

Edit: I got Notes working, but Messages won't connect for some odd reason.

Edit 2: All it took was restarting my MBP. Really strange.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2013-01-30 at 10:58.
ronmexico

2013-01-31, 21:48

There is something very unsettling about that. I refuse to sign up for iCloud because it has been glitchy. I don't want my backup info compromised.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-31, 22:01

I've used it a couple times for restoring from a backup and its good pretty smoothly every time but just had the issue reconnecting with messages. Maybe because it was a new phone.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-01-31, 22:02

I use iCloud for my backups, however once a week or so I switch the backup to my MBP and then back to iCloud. This doesn't change my iCloud backups at all but gives me a local copy I can revert to if needed.

My Cal runs through my iCal Server rather than iCloud. This seems to work the best with sharing and the way my family operates. Address book is on iCloud though. I've never had any issues with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.