The Beer Thread™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Beer Thread™
Page 8 of 9 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  Next Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-05-06, 20:45

Well I suppose to each his own.

I have to admit that while I love IPA's, and many other beer styles for that matter, there is one style that I have just not been able to develop a liking for, despite its many fans. I just can't seem to develop a liking for Belgian beers. I am sure that among the numerous different Belgian beers there is one that I would really like, but I have not found one yet. Maybe it is because the ones that I have tried so far have tended to be too sweet. I have a low tolerance for sweet things generally.

Anyway, I will keep trying the odd one to see if I can find a Belgian that is more to my taste.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-06, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, don't take that advice. I thought that by you buying the 60 Minute you were into it. The 90 Minute will only reinforce your hatred for IPAs (even if I think it's phenomenal), and god forbid you ever taste the 120.
Dog fishhead is one of the few IPAs I like. I enjoy 60 minute. Used to drink 120 minute back in the day at this one bar. Whew.
¡Damned!

2012-09-20, 15:32

Yes, it's that time of year again:

Holy hell. I love this brew.

Also, what's nice about this stuff is that they put a few batches in used bourbon barrels and let it sit for a few months - then introduce it as "Kentucky Breakfast Stout"

That shit is phenomenal.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-09-20, 15:53

Side note: In MC, Bryson shared a beer that he's been working on forever, and it was lovely. Pale variety, not too bitter or hoppy, nice balance. A good session beer for us miners after a long day. Delightful. It gave me "Miner Fatigue" - which, duh.

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-09-20, 15:54

Man that sounds good.

I just had the exact opposite kind of experience. I had my first Michelob Ultra this week. Actually I drank 2 of them while pounding some of my homemade hot wings. They were drenched in a thick sauce - I simmer Frank's along with some spices and butter until it reduces down and really gloms onto the wings. Anyway they were hot as hell and apparently destroyed my taste buds enough that I actually said out loud "hey this stuff is decent".

Then I had another one the next day, poured into a tall glass. It looked like carbonated piss. It had more bubbles shooting up it than ginger ale does, I swear. It was fucking god awful. Ugh. Anyone who buys this shit is a retard. Seriously, if you're that into light beer and low carbing it, buy some Old Milwaukee Light and cut it 1/3 with water and save a few dollars. Or just drink the piss of someone who is drinking real beer.

I'm a stupid head. I see people buying this shit and just had to see what it was like. I almost poured the last 3 down the drain, but I couldn't make myself do it. I guess I hate wasting money more than I hated the beer. I did wait until I had more hot wings to chase though.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-09-20, 15:58

Oh yeah, I just saw a good quote on Shameless. Frank asks his wife if she wants a beer, and she says she isn't thirsty.

"No one drinks beer because they're thirsty!"

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-09-20, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yes, it's that time of year again:

Holy hell. I love this brew.

Also, what's nice about this stuff is that they put a few batches in used bourbon barrels and let it sit for a few months - then introduce it as "Kentucky Breakfast Stout"

That shit is phenomenal.
I'll have to see if I can find this. This is my favorite time of year for beers.

One beer that I do miss from living in Maine is Gritty McDuff's Halloween Ale, wonderful extra bitters beer with a bit of red to it.

Maybe I'll ask my buddies in VT, MA, and RI to see if they can score me a case.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-09-22, 09:54

I recently had a bottle of this and it was really good. Nice initial amber brew bite, but then smooth aftertaste. Don't really notice the coriander (I think that's a marketing gimmick to be honest) but whatever they use, it's good.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detai...3-9d72445c6db6

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-09-22, 15:59

I still have no reliable access to cases/bottles of Pliny the Elder in the bay area. Unless you stalk various stockists or use a bot to order off K&L's website, it gets sold out as soon as it appears on shelves.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-22, 16:11

Happy Oktoberfest, you drunks!!!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-09-22, 22:52

There is no denying the greatness of this holiday.

...into the light of a dark black night.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-09-22, 23:13

Lately I've been appreciating the hell out of the Lagunita Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale.

¡Damned!

2012-11-06, 17:29

Bell's "This One Goes to 11 Ale"

Quote:
Brewed to commemorate our 11,000th batch, this Imperial Red uses hops from the Southern Hemisphere, but also features those from the Pacific Northwest, including a freshly named and newly released varietal. Coming in at 11% ABV, this limited single batch release will be available in both bottles (six-packs) and on draft. It will begin shipping later this month.
Quote:
The official description:

This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops to this Imperial Red Ale, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth.
They may call it an "Imperial Red" - I'm 95% sure they made that term up - but goddamn if the taste isn't right fucking center in my wheelhouse. It's just about perfect. Exactly 2 beers come close... though, not *quite* up to this. Dogfish Head's 90 Minute and Founder's Double Trouble. Both phenomenal beers, and my personal favorites.

A little on the pricey side (18 for a 6 pack, compared to 11 for a 4 pack of the DH90 and DT), but totally worth it for those of us that love great micros.

Highly, highly recommended.

[edit]: I've only had 3, but at 11% I'm starting to feel that "lingering warmth" they mention. I need to cook something before I start clicking on political threads.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-11-06 at 17:43.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2012-11-06, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I still have no reliable access to cases/bottles of Pliny the Elder in the bay area. Unless you stalk various stockists or use a bot to order off K&L's website, it gets sold out as soon as it appears on shelves.
I don't know how close you are to either Oakland or SF, but both Revolution Beer (Oakland) and City Beer (SF) have had Pliny the Elder bottles in stock every time I've visited.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2013-01-23, 04:36

Bumping for AleSmith Speedway Stout. You can see why this beer is so highly regarded.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-01-23, 14:04

I'm happy because the place I play trivia on Wednesday nights has Blue Moon on tap, and that's probably my favorite beer if I had to choose and pick one that I never wanted to run out of (I'll try, and drink, pretty much anything...but I always hover back to Blue Moon, and I seek it out first in any place I go). And, speaking of which, I saw (and bought) a six-pack of Blue Moon Valencia Grove Amber last week. Might just be the tastiest beer I've ever had, and the one that could push me into George Jones-level of intake/alcoholism.

But seriously, it's as though some beer people got together and said "we know the flavor, coloring, tone, appearance, etc. this Paul guy likes in a beer...let's make him up a special batch!"

If I've ever mentally conjured up a beer recipe, they reached in and snatched it and made it in real life.

It's as tasty as Blue Moon, but with a really nice, refreshing orange/citrus zing to it that really pleases me. I bet it's great in the summer. Hell, it's great in the dead of winter! I observe no seasons...

It's really delicious. I fear it's a seasonal/one-off thing, but I'm trying to find a way to get a keg of it into my house...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I'm definitely going to look and see if it's available where I'll be tonight, and order a tall, tall glass (with my fish tacos).

I loves my Wednesday nights...for all kinds of reasons. Trivia, beer, good food, friends, brainy vixens/cutie-pies (two on my team, another two-dozen throughout the joint), etc.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-01-23, 14:31

This is the worst time of year for me because I love wheat and hefeweizen beers but this isn't typically the season for them.

Pscates, if you love Blue Moon, some of my favorites are Harpoon UFO, Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat, Ommegang Witte, Troegs Dream Weaver, Weihenstephaner Hefe, and Avery White Rascal. Those are some I drink off the top of my head. I think you would enjoy these if you like Blue Moon.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-01-23, 15:31

I went to Portland this week and tried many beers.

I'm in LOVE with Deschutes Red Chair NWPA. Man, this is everything I like in a beer. Far too many IPAs are just HOPS and no complexity. This stuff is still plenty bitter, but with actual tastes other than hops all the time. Awesome stuff. Recommended.

I also spotted these two competing lists of "20 Most Influential Beers" and was pleasantly surprised to have drunk about 10 of them. How many have you tried?

Quote:
Gablinger’s diet beer, Rheingold, New York
Blind Pig IPA
Westmalle Tripel
New Albion Ale
Fuller’s London Pride
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Pilsner Urquell
Anchor Steam Beer
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Ayinger Celebrator
Generic lager
Cantillon Classic Gueuze
Anchor Old Foghorn
Reissdorf Kölsch
Draught Guinness
Allagash White
Sam Adams Utopias
Saison Dupont
Schneider Aventinus
Quote:
Spaten Dunkel
Pilsner Urquell
Hodgson’s East India Pale Ale
Parsons’ porter
Barclay Perkins Russian Imperial Stout
Schwechater Lagerbier
Einbecker Ur-Bock
Paulaner Salvator
Anheuser-Busch Budweiser
Bass No 1
Schneider Weisse
Hoegaarden
Duvel
Fuller’s ESB
Newcastle Brown Ale
Tennent’s Gold Label
Fowler’s Wee Heavy Wee Heavy
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Blind Pig IPA
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2013-01-24, 01:15

Paulaner Salvator

Every now and then I get some of those. With 7.9%alc, one bottle per evening is plenty - but very tasty
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2013-02-13, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post

I also spotted these two competing lists of "20 Most Influential Beers" and was pleasantly surprised to have drunk about 10 of them. How many have you tried?
Key word for these lists are influential. To have the arse scrapings that is Bud listed says a lot. That people actually pay for this crap astounds me. I have some in my fridge at the moment (credits so were not paid for) and I stuggle to even give them away. I tell people that things taste better when they are free, so if they still taste like arse, then they really are arse.

If by influential for Bud they mean this is what beer should never be then they are on the mark.

Now a list of the best beers on the planet is more relevant. If I have tried only ten of the top hundred it would be more relevant to me than the above two lists.

Beer snob being a dick signing off...

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
¡Damned!

2013-02-13, 08:58

It's Ruthless Rye season again! Just picked up my first case on Friday. I may take a trip down to Bell's this coming weekend to pick up a case of Hopslam as well, since that's just out. Life is good.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-02-13, 12:37

At the match this past Sunday, me being me the first thing I did when I arrived and snagged a table was to order a Blue Moon. They didn't have them, but, the waitress said, "this one is just like it..." (no, it wasn't Shock Top either). It was something with a name I couldn't pronounce then, and can't remember now). It came in a huge mug and was $4.50.

And it was the worst beer I've ever had in my life.

"Tastes like Blue Moon", my eye. Uh, no the hell it did not!

It tasted like Joy dishwashing liquid with black pepper added.

You think I'm exaggerating for comedic effect?

I'm not.

It tasted exactly like what I said.

I can still almost taste it... <-- wanna puke

Tonight I'm playing downtown at Buffalo Wild Wings...awesome fish tacos and delicious Blue Moon on tap, in a glass about 11" tall. I love Wednesdays almost as much as my Thursdays.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-02-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
"Tastes like Blue Moon", my eye. Uh, no the hell it did not!

It tasted like Joy dishwashing liquid with black pepper added.
Allegash Grand Cru?

I love the stuff, but I have heard it compared to both Blue Moon and spicy dish soap, soooooo....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-02-13, 14:21

No, that doesn't sound like it. I think it was two words, and I think the second one might've been "garden", of all things. And maybe the first started with an "H"?

Hae? Hau? Hou? Heu?

I don't know. I'll never drink it again, I know that.

EDIT: Looked at their online menu: Hoegaarden* (spelled "Hoegaarten" at their site, but I see it with a "d" everyone online.

Doesn't matter how they spell it. Don't ever drink it...you'll die to death.

* Pretty good memory, 2-3 days after the fact for something I hated...I knew it started with an "h" and had the word "garden" (or some variant) in it.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2013-02-13, 14:37

Hoegarden has been around a long time. Never remember it being how you described it. It's just your average white. I wouldn't be surprised if its what Blue Moon was modeled after. Maybe you just had a bad one.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-02-13, 14:46

Yeah, that'd be my guess. Hoegaarden does have a nice citrus undertone, is a touch sweet, and has hit my palate with a bit of spice at times... but if it goes 'off', yeah. It can get a bit rank.

I'd say try it again sometime from a fresh keg and see if your opinion changes.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2013-02-13, 14:53

In my experience, when a beer tastes vile it's usually because of an old keg or dirty tap lines. Or, if it's inherently terrible, such as is the case with Russian Imperial Stouts. Usually if I'm at a chain restaurant or sports bar or some such, I order popular American draft beers simply because those kegs get changed more frequently. That, or I'll buy bottled beer and not take a chance with a bunk keg.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
AWR
Veteran Member

2013-02-13, 15:02

You're all just lucky gits! Cheers!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2013-02-13, 15:27

I drink Hoegaarden pretty regularly and love all types of wheats and hefe's and don't ever recall it tasting like that, but then again, if you don't like it, then thats the one that matters.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-02-13, 15:36

I may have just gotten into a bad batch. A couple of others took a sip and had the same reaction.

I went with Harp on the rest.