User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Is it worth it to get the macbook Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is it worth it to get the macbook Pro?
designerguy

2006-05-08, 21:30

Will all the bad things I've been reading about the Macbook Pro is it worth it?

or should i wait until they fix the heat issue?

Thanks!
kgarchar

2006-05-08, 21:38

the latest revisions are said to run very cool in comparison to the first macbook pros
Orange

2006-05-08, 22:18

Uh…..Yes its worth it.
I have a rev D Macbook, I also posted in the heat thread. My Macbook is very hot, when compared to my wife’s iBook. Not a problem though, as I stated, the warmth is focused over the left side (hard drive) and primarily above the function keys. True, the bottom gets warm too, but I don’t notice this on my iLap or the desk where the Macbook is primarily used. O.K. back to your question, I have a dual 1.8 G5. I create “moving” picture movies for retirements, special events etc. Normally I use iMovie and final cut express, depending on the effects I need. I was tired of being tied to the desk when editing the pictures, assembling the movie and working with the sound track. For me the Macbook is perfect, your mileage may vary. Again, the heat issue to me is of small concern. I am still waiting for the universal version of Final Cut express too. Sorry for the long post, but I really like this machine.

Last edited by Orange : 2006-05-08 at 22:25.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-08, 22:58

I'm with Orange. I just got my MBP today, but in the 12 or so hours I've toyed with it, it's been great. A little warm by the function keys, but not alarming, and only in comparison to my old iBook does it seem warm. I had an old Dell Inspiron that got even hotter, IIRC.

I actually find my new 2.16 GHz 17" MBP to be faster in general than my Dual 2.3 GHz Powermac, which I can't quite explain. But there it is.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-10, 23:36

My MBP has no problems at all. This stuff you hear about revisions is bullshit, though. That's referring to differences in the serial numbers that are actually explained by the date the MBP was manufactured, not by a different motherboard.

Mine does get a little hot while running games under Windows, but it rarely gets hot in OS X. I just got it yesterday, but I've been using it pretty much non-stop since then, and it's performed like a champ. Definitely get one with at least 1GB RAM, but don't hesitate to get one if you can afford it. They're great machines.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 02:57

I've thought about getting a MacBook Pro instead of waiting for a MacBook (iBook).

At this point, I can't justify the price difference, because for my purposes the MacBook specs should be fine.

Also, it peeves me that a USD 2,000 "Pro" computer only comes with 512MB of RAM. Of course you pop some more in at additional cost, but the principle seems farked. I don't mind paying the premium for a nice product but I don't like to feel like I'm getting milked.

Beautiful machines no doubt. I'm sure they are a joy.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-11, 07:01

The stuff about whining noise and everything has been blown way out of proportion, if you ask me. I'm very, very happy with my MBP.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The stuff about whining noise and everything has been blown way out of proportion, if you ask me. I'm very, very happy with my MBP.
If you don't mind chucker, which one did you get?

Did you run it on 512MB at all? If so, how did that work out?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
If you don't mind chucker, which one did you get?

Did you run it on 512MB at all? If so, how did that work out?
I don't know what chucker has, but I'm running mine on 512 right now (until UPS gets here w/ my upgrade), and to be honest, it runs pretty well. The only thing I'm noticing is that Rosetta apps take a while to launch. Once they're open, though, they run fine. Hopefully once I get my 1GB upgrade, that'll be fixed.

Think about it this way: if you buy it refurbed (I didn't, I have an EDU discount), you can get 2GB of RAM from NewEgg and still pay less than full price for the machine ($1699 for the MBP + $200 for 2 x 1GB SO-DIMMS = $1899)

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 08:17

Thinking outside of the box. That's good.

Are you running XP thru bootcamp as well? chucker? How does 512MB stack up there?

Edit: I just saw your MBP pictures (SWEET!) Ben, so I see you've got XP up.

Last edited by AWR : 2006-05-11 at 08:24.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
Thinking outside of the box. That's good.

Are you running XP thru bootcamp as well? chucker? How does 512MB stack up there?

Edit: I just saw your MBP pictures (SWEET!) Ben, so I see you've got XP up.
It's fantastic under Windows. Actually, it's the best Windows laptop I've ever used. You might keep an eye on my blog today (link in my sig). I'm upgrading my RAM today, and I'll be blogging about the upgrade and the performance boost throughout the day.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-11, 09:15

I got the 2 GHz, 1 GB (one stick) RAM, 256 MB VRAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM configuration. The thing is screaming fast, and yes, Windows works very well, too. Thanks to John Gruber's mention, I also got a remapping tool that works a lot better than the Apple Mouse Utility / remapkey combination.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I got the 2 GHz, 1 GB (one stick) RAM, 256 MB VRAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM configuration. The thing is screaming fast, and yes, Windows works very well, too. Thanks to John Gruber's mention, I also got a remapping tool that works a lot better than the Apple Mouse Utility / remapkey combination.
[licking chops] I can't believe I've opened myself up to this new pain in my life. [licking chops]

That sound great chucker. And I'm sure you put it through its paces too - like a good jockey riding a fast, smart horse. Also, I'm sure that link will be helpful (someday).
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-11, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
[licking chops] I can't believe I've opened myself up to this new pain in my life. [licking chops]

That sound great chucker. And I'm sure you put it through its paces too - like a good jockey riding a fast, smart horse. Also, I'm sure that link will be helpful (someday).
Mine is about to get its ass kicked, and it doesn't even realize.

Hopefully UPS will be here in the next couple of hours... it sucks that I've stayed home all day waiting for my RAM to be delivered, and it's not here yet. It's been on the delivery truck three hours longer than I've been awake today, even. Fuckers.