Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Disney acquires Lucasfilm, announces Star Wars: Episode VII
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-10-30, 15:21

No, it's not a joke.

Did anyone see this coming?

Edit: This probably should have gone in AppleOutsider, shouldn't it? Feel free to move it if so, mods.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-10-30, 15:30

this is flamebait pure and simple. i'm going to plug my ears and close my eyes now and pretend this never, ever happened.

then i'm going to go home and brush off my laser disk versions of these movie classics before they're rewritten to trash.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
¡Damned!

2012-10-30, 15:33

wat
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-10-30, 15:49

Can't be any worse than Episode 1, right? Right?

You know what would be cool, though? Episode 7 as a fully-animated Pixar film.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-30, 15:53

Fine with me. I've said for years that any movies from this franchise should be done in that Clone Wars animated style. It's funny that the writing, acting and directing on this series is 10x better than any of the prequels combined.

I think live-action Star Wars is done. Besides, they relied in so much cgi for everything anyway...they may as well just stay in the animated realm. It works better there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-30, 16:09

You guys should be thankful. This means Lucas won't be able to ruin the films any further. Plus, it hands remakes off to someone who has the capacity to get it right, and it opens the doors to finish the final three episodes without having the world's worst director in charge.

This is good news!

On top of that, this could put the future of Star Wars animations into the hands of the Pixar crew. That would be sweet!

Edit: Wow. LucasFilm, ILM, Skywalker, the whole shebang!

Quote:
Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations,” Disney said in a statement.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2012-10-30 at 16:22.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-10-30, 16:54

So you think Crapisodes 1-3 will be remade as feature films? Among all the stupid tv shows and movies that never needed or deserved to be remade, this is one case where it's actually warranted and would be welcomed by true fans.

That said, if they're animated (like cartoons or a typical 3D Disney movie) I won't watch. I want real people, some grit and story. Not just ultra sleek animations and clever fart jokes (the new Disney formula). And in that case, time to get away from the whole Darth & Luke Saga. Go to a new part of the story, with new actors... a new time period. Create something we have no expectation of and genre nerds will go in with the "experience the movie mode" instead of the "scrutinizing / analyzing the movie for logical flaws in the never-ending-storyline mode". (Guilty as charged.)

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-10-30, 17:26

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-10-30, 17:31

So, uh, has anyone else stopped to think that this means that *Pixar*, ILM, Skywalker Sound, THX, and the Star Wars IP is now all under one roof?

Fuck animated. Gimme Pixar's treatment.

No, you know what, fuggedaboudit. Honestly not interested in Ep 7.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-10-30, 17:31

I was hoping Episode 7 would be good because it's now Disney/Pixar, but then I saw that Lucas is still a creative consultant, so never mind.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-30, 17:48

Good news. Even with the sale, there is no way Lucas would totally give away the keys to his kingdom.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-10-30, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So, uh, has anyone else stopped to think that this means that *Pixar*, ILM, Skywalker Sound, THX, and the Star Wars IP is now all under one roof?
Also: Marvel.

The Incredible Spider-Vader, now with DIsney 3D!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-10-30, 17:56

Nobody caters to the 7 year old intellect like 21st Century George Lucas. See what happens when you snort too much cocaine?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-30, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Good news. Even with the sale, there is no way Lucas would totally give away the keys to his kingdom.
It's just fine to have Lucas' input into the story, just let someone else write the script and direct the damn thing. Episodes 5 and 6 were great, and Lucas directed neither. On top of that, he did not write the script for episode 5, and only co-wrote episode 6. Contrast those fantastic films with episodes 1-3 in which he wrote the script solo and directed. Bombastic fail!

His vision is genius. His meddling is not!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-10-30, 17:57

Does not compute. Episode 7 implies post-RotJ. Are they going to recast Luke, Leia and Han? Or is this going to be 30 years after RotJ?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2012-10-30, 17:58

Forget all of you. Bring on Episode Seven!

I always believed in the original nine-film plan. This is a pleasant surprise.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-30, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Well, not all of us. I'm pleasantly excited about this!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-10-30, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Does not compute. Episode 7 implies post-RotJ. Are they going to recast Luke, Leia and Han? Or is this going to be 30 years after RotJ?
There's plenty of post-Luke stories to pick from, no?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-30, 18:09

Gonna go out on a limb here and speak for the entire planet and say nobody wants to see bloated, craggy Ford, Hamill and Fisher try to re-inhabit these roles. You thought the prequels corn-holed your childhood, wait until you see a pudgy Jedi, a chain-smoking princess and a disinterested Han Solo sleepwalk his way through a three-hour "adventure".

Go for Clone Wars type computer animation...then these characters can be aged a bit more gracefully to maintain their beauty and handsomeness.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. At my age, I should be over all this stuff. But I'm not. However, I don't ever want to see anything remotely approaching the prequels in tone, appearance, plot, writing, style, pacing, acting, effects, marketing, etc.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-30, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here and speak for the entire planet and say nobody wants to see bloated, craggy Ford, Hamill and Fisher try to re-inhabit these roles. You thought the prequels corn-holed your childhood, wait until you see a pudgy Jedi, a chain-smoking princess and a disinterested Han Solo sleepwalk his way through a three-hour "adventure".

Go for Clone Wars type computer animation...then these characters can be aged a bit more gracefully to maintain their beauty and handsomeness.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. At my age, I should be over all this stuff. But I'm not. However, I don't ever want to see anything remotely approaching the prequels in tone, appearance, plot, writing, style, pacing, acting, effects, marketing, etc.
What, you gettin' old P2? Doesn't a little Star Wars bring you back to childhood?

And don't worry about your worries. Lucas will be kept at arm's length. Just enough to get his ideas, and then kicked in the head.

At least, that's how I'm imagining it will go.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2012-10-30, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here and speak for the entire planet and say nobody wants to see bloated, craggy Ford, Hamill and Fisher try to re-inhabit these roles.
Hamill should have a cameo as the reclusive head of the Jedi council.
The age fits, and it shouldn't be hard to outclass a crazy puppet that never won a single lightsaber duel.

All the best post ROTJ stories, I understand, revolve around Luke and Leia's kids.
If Ford or Fisher have a cameo, it's because they're slated for death-via-Dark Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, not all of us. I'm pleasantly excited about this!
Sorry...forget most of you?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-30, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I always believed in the original nine-film plan. This is a pleasant surprise.
Yup, the only question is, what story line will it follow? Will be a new story or based on post RoTJ books? If so which ones?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-30, 18:34

Yes, kscherer...it brings me back to childhood like nothing else. The original trilogy/characters. Not everything that's come since. Isn't a soul on the planet who'd blame me for being a little wary and doubting about how new things might play out. The track record of late isn't all that great.

But, for the record, I can watch "Star Wars" and "Empire" any time, any place. I still smile, get excited, and get drawn in as much as I did 30+ years ago. That's never changed, and never will. It's in my blood, those first movies.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-30, 18:51

Right there with ya! But I would add ROTJ to the list. I can get excited about those. The other three make me drool*!

*Not the pleasant, mouth-watering kind of drool, either. Rather, the kind of drool one might experience during a seizure!

¡Damned!

2012-10-30, 19:12

Like Paul, I *love* the Clone Wars animated series. It's just so well done and engaging. I thought the movie was awful though (different people in charge? just a bad start? can't be bothered to check atm).

But yes, if there's an Episode VII and more it needs to be live action. Also, Capella needs to be brought on board as head story-advisor.

Sexually ambiguous Sith Queen? Check. Cast Chloe Moretz in the part and I will go see it every day.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-10-30 at 19:32.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-30, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Right there with ya! But I would add ROTJ to the list.
As I've gotten older, I've come to enjoy ROTJ much less. Except for the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff, it was a little too "cute" for me. Threepio officially became Annoying As Hell, Han was written as comic relief and was nothing like the character from Empire and other things throughout just don't grab me like the others do. I can watch it, and, at its worst, it's still light years (ha!) ahead of any of the prequels, no doubt.

But the first two are the ones I truly love, and never get tired of. The first for largely sentimental reasons, and because it was so cool, new and different (and I just love some of those scenes and exchanges throughout...classic stuff, any way you slice it).

And The Empire Strikes Back is, to me, just a damn-near perfect movie. Everything you want in a movie...action, adventure, romance, tension, sadness, drama, genuine surprises, well-done humor, betrayal/double-cross, a cliffhanger, eye-popping visuals and special effects, great music, etc. Not to mention all the new vehicles, locations and characters: Hoth, Cloud City, Dagobah. Lando, Boba Fett(!) and Yoda. Imperial Walkers, Snowspeeders, Vader's flagship. The sets (the carbon freezing chamber and its lighting, Yoda's house, the Star Destroyer bridge). We saw a glimpse of Vader without his helmet, we got our first glimpse of the Force in action (Luke calling for his lightsaber as the Wampa approaches), Han putting the mooch on Leia (and realizing she's into it and wanted it all along...wasn't a guy in 1980 that didn't want to be laying a smooch on Princess Leia like that; as if Han Solo wasn't already awesome enough...), the asteroid field/chase, the bounty hunters.

One of my favorite two-seconds in film history...those doors sliding open on Cloud City, Vader standing up, Chewie's ferocious growl and Han Solo doing nothing else but trying to kill the hell out of Darth Vader. How much of a ballsy bad-ass is that?! No talking, no "uh-oh...", no cheesy, misplaced wisecracks, no pleading his case/deal-making, etc. He just drew his blaster immediately and unloaded on him. I love everything about that tiny sequence. It says everything.

"Greedo shot first...", my ass.

Holy crap, I need to go watch this...I've gotten myself all wound up.

It's a complete departure, in every way, from Star Wars.

It's just a good movie, period. It just happens to be a Star Wars flick...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-10-30 at 22:10.
¡Damned!

2012-10-30, 22:11

I don' think it can be overstated on what an unbelievable job Williams did with the score on ESB either. He created some epic tracks for Ep IV, but then just used those as a base and went all reserved and sometimes heartbreaking with them for V. Just great.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-10-30, 22:13

ROTJ, with everything based on the surfaces of Tatooine and Endor excised, remains my favorite of the trilogy, with Empire being a close second, mainly because I'm a sucker for epic space battles.

With regards to Episode VII: if it's not based on this book, I'm not interested.

Last edited by SpecMode : 2012-10-30 at 22:59. Reason: Misspelled Tatooine, which shows how much I care about that miserable planet. :P
¡Damned!

2012-10-30, 22:26

So, like, 80% of the film?

I'll admit, ROTJ had some awesome moments. The Executor crashing into DS2, Lando helming the MF ("It's not my fault! ), and, um, Bikini Leia.

The ewoks just killed it for me though. Maybe I was older and jaded by then (14?) but it just didn't have the massive hold the others had on me.

[edit]: 15. Yeah. I was pretty jaded by then.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-10-30, 22:51

Yub nub, eee chop yub nub,
Freedom, we got freedom,

Toe meet toe pee chee keene, g'noop dock fling oh ah.
and now that we can be free, c'mon and celebrate.

Yah wah, eee chop yah wah,
Power, we got power

Toe meet toe pee chee keene, g'noop dock fling oh ah
and now that we can be free, c'mon and celebrate.

Coat ee chah tu yub nub,
Celebrate the freedom

Coat ee chah tu yah wah,
Celebrate the power

Coat ee chah tu glo wah.
Celebrate the glory.

Allay loo ta nuv
celebrate the love

Glo wah, eee chop glo wah, ya glo wah pee chu nee foam,
Power, we got power, and now that we can be free,

Ah toot dee awe goon goon daa.
it's time to celebrate.