User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Easiest, most straightforward/sure-fire way to get songs from an iPhone to a Mac...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Easiest, most straightforward/sure-fire way to get songs from an iPhone to a Mac...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-11, 22:06

My sister's iMac was hit by lightning a while back, so there's no accessing it.

However, she has all of her music (I think it's about 6-8GB worth?) on her iPhone.

Mom just upgraded to a MacBook Air and gave my sister her white MacBook to use.

So what's the best, easiest way to get all the songs on her iPhone into iTunes on this MacBook? I know Apple doesn't make it easy to go in that direction, and so I know there are things like Senuti(?). And I'm sure there are others.

What I DON'T want to do is screw it up to where I don't do something right and not only does it not import the songs from the iPhone to the MacBook, but it somehow wipes them out on her phone as well. She'll murder me. This is a mixture of iTunes store purchases and songs that she ripped from CDs over the years (and some/most of those CDs are long gone). The bulk of her library will consist of stuff that she can't just go and re-download from the cloud, so I don't want to zap or lose those!

I found out today that, on a 16GB iPhone, she had only 82MB(!) of free space left because she was using her iPhone as her repository for EVERYTHING...every picture/video she's ever had (because she'd synced them all to her iPhone prior to the iMac going belly-up), and her entire music library. We transferred the pics over to iPhoto and took them off the phone and that freed up just under 3GB (and I showed her how to make and sync specific albums over if she wanted a few dozen or hundred favorite pics. I want to do the same with her music...put everything on the MacBook, then if she wants to sync a few custom playlists over of favorite songs, artists or genres, she can. Try to get to where she's got at least 4-5GB free space on the phone (and not 82MB).

But looking back, I don't think I've ever done this particular operation before (transferring music from iPhone/iPod to iTunes on the Mac, that first time).

I found this online. Has anyone used it? http://www.transphone.net/ios-transf...ne-to-mac.html

Seems to support the latest iOS and OS X versions.

Is Senuti still the go-to? Is it free? Ideally this is a just a quick, one-time "rest and go forward thing", so free and easy would be ideal.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-11, 23:33

I use PhoneView to get things off my phone.

You can also save out your text conversations.

You can save photos, videos, audio recording, etc, etc.

Totally worth it.

You could buy it and use it later for other people...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-09-12, 19:31

Seconded for PhoneView. I've been using it for years.
¡Damned!

2014-09-12, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I found this online. Has anyone used it? http://www.transphone.net/ios-transf...ne-to-mac.html

Seems to support the latest iOS and OS X versions.
There is no friggin' way I'd use that. That web design and copy () screams "Installing Chinese Trojan" . Call me what you want, but I wouldn't go that route, myself. Never used Senuti, but it's always been on the radar.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-12, 19:55

Thanks, guys. I'll check out PhoneView.

I wish Apple wouldn't make this so hard. I can understand, with a wide-open iPod, why Apple would do this. But if you have an iPhone that's obviously yours (a number that can be verified, an Apple ID/iCloud setup present and working, etc.), and then a Mac with iTunes using that same Apple ID and obviously your Mac, the two devices should be permitted to "trust" each other and, in a situation like this, allow an iPhone-to-Mac transfer without having to mess around with questionable third-party outfits, or pay $30 for a one-time transfer, etc.

Does this exist, somehow? Or is it just a total no-go, still?

She's gonna balk at that $29.95 for PhoneView, I know for a fact (and I'm not about to pay for it, as this is the kind of thing I don't do on any kind of regular basis). As nice as that app seems to be, she doesn't need all those other functions. This is just a one-time, music-only transfer. Hmmm.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-12 at 20:34.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2014-09-12, 20:54

Is there no other back up (external drive?) just in case something goes wrong. if there is then you're ok. Just a thought.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-12, 21:07

No. I set their iMac up a long time ago, hooked up Time Machine and got it all going. Her husband wound up taking the drive to work and using it for stuff there (reformatting it, etc.). I'm just like "then what's the $%#%^ point?" And then lightning zapped the iMac. I'm not sure which came first, but the songs only seem to exist on her iPhone.

Because, you know, heaven forbid any of them took the backup thing seriously (two two kids playing ball, vacations, etc., years of photos, etc.).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-12, 21:16

Set them up with something like Backblaze, then the husband's doofus ability will be somewhat limited.
Tarriollaa

2015-01-23, 01:01

Try itunes to backup iphone data to computer/mac
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2015-02-08, 14:32

I used DeTune the last time I needed to transfer music between an iPhone and a computer, and it worked just fine. It's as effective Senuti used to be, and is still free.

Unfortunately their website's domain name registration seems to have expired, which is sketchy, but if you can download the program from somewhere else it should work.