AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Compact mechanical keyboard?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Compact mechanical keyboard?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-02-06, 01:39

Got a chance to play with a Matias keyboard today. It's a shame more manufacturers don't use Matias's own ALPS clone keyswitches. They're far superior to any version of Cherry MX switches in feel. I just hate the aesthetic and the raised key legends.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2015-02-07, 12:45

Does anyone know of any drivers for keyboards with macro keys? Maybe like a "USB Overdrive for Keyboards" or something? The Logitech G710 has OS X drivers, as do Razer's keyboards, but it seems like most don't.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-02-09, 16:07

I am typing this from my new Das Keyboard 4 Pro. First impressions are as follows:
  • The (brown) keys are really nice, but that was also the whole point with this thing. They won't make you a better typist, but I do feel less annoyed when typing on the Das compared to my flat Apple keyboard. I think it's mainly because the longer travel makes it easier not to worry about wether the strokes register or having to slam the keys (on the Apple keyboard) to be sure. It just sort of inspires comfort and your brain can put it's efforts elsewhere.
  • Compared to the Apple keyboard the Das is very thick and that does not sit well with me. Actually, right now, I'm using the Apple keyboard as a makeshift wrist rest, which it works surprisingly well as. However, I'll definitely need to find something to prop up my wrists, otherwise it feels wrong.
  • Another problem with the thickness of the Das is that you can't as easily slide your hand across it in order to hit a single key when you are lounging at your desk. Metadot Corp. seems to be of the opinion that you just have to sit straight like a soldier on parade.
  • It's a Nordic layout, so I have to share the legends on the Æ, Ø and Å keys with the other two country bumpkins. Oddly, the Norwegian letters are big and centre despite the fact they are the fewest. It's easy enough to ignore that they are reversed. I suppose all that oil money has it's benefits on American design considerations.
  • OS X refuses to acknowledge the existence of the menu modifier key (Windows) which is a shame because it would make a good Spotlight key.
  • The < and $ key are functionally opposite to the standard Danish layout and OS X does not offer a way to remap them, unless apparently, you are willing to edit a XML file. I tried to download the utility Ukelele, but that app has so many options and stuff that it's not really user friendly either.

Can't tell if it worth the money yet. That verdict will have to wait a while longer...
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2015-02-09, 20:28

The thickness is an issue with most mechs
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-02-10, 01:56

Anything with a Cherry MX switch is going to have a minimum height of about 1 inch from the base of the switch to the top of the keycap.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-02-10 at 06:59.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-02-10, 10:06

All you need to do is take a small hand router and ease a trough into your work surface that will allow you to sink your keyboard low enough. I would advise that you move down in small increments so that you don't place it too low, else you'll need to build back up a platform with thin sheets of hardwood, glued in place with a good rabbit glue, or aliphatic resin. Caution: if you type much you may create trapped heat, which could theoretically (in certain circumstances) adversely affect the performance of the Cherry MX switches.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-02-11, 13:11

That's not as crazy as it sounds, drew!

My desk is an Ikea hack, so I would be totally cool with hacking it bit more. The Das model 4 also has an aluminium top plate that protrudes out over the chassis beneath it, so you could in theory just cut a hole shaped like the bottom of the Das and drop it right in and let it rest on the edges of the top plate. However, I like to be able to move my keyboard around a bit and such a hack would make that impractical.
kelly088

2015-03-04, 22:08

I'm also interested in this topic !!!
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-03-06, 11:54

So along with Das moving to a cheaper keyboard OEM, they've also started using cheap Cherry MX clones instead of the real thing. It probably saves them $10 on an 87-key board like the 4C. Too bad they don't pass this savings to the consumer...they're priced at $143.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-03-06 at 13:17.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2015-03-10, 11:53

I use a Monoprice mechanical with Cherry MX Blue switches. I love the thing. I got it on sale for around $45. Worth every penny. I know it's not the best mechanical keyboard on the market, nor is it the most attractive, but for a person who doesn't game, it works wonderfully. I got it right before I went back to school, I love typing papers on it. Very happy with my purchase, but I'll probably give it to a family member in a few years in favor of something a little nicer.

Come waste your time with me
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-03-10, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
So along with Das moving to a cheaper keyboard OEM, they've also started using cheap Cherry MX clones instead of the real thing. It probably saves them $10 on an 87-key board like the 4C. Too bad they don't pass this savings to the consumer...they're priced at $143.
Wait what?!

My Das explicitly claims brown Cherry MX switches. Did they just start doing this?
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-03-10, 13:38

Just the 4C model for now. Das just announced the Mac version of the full-sized 4. Conspicuously absent is any mention of Cherry MX switches.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-03-10, 15:21

Oh well, and here I was just about to complain about how the regular 4 Pro isn't as Mac compatible as I would like. I suppose this thread prodding me to buy it prevented me from later ordering a "proper" Mac version with "improper" switches. Though, I wonder why Metadot would risk their reputation with this. The attraction with the Das is so closely tied to the switches that this sort of thing seems like it could backfire really easy. Maybe Cherry just can't keep up with demand?
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-03-11, 01:58

There have routinely been shortages in Cherry switches in the past, but now there's at least four large Chinese companies making clones. I actually think the competition is great and hopefully the clones get better. Right now the biggest knock against them is tolerances / quality control.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-03-13, 19:14

Bought an old Apple Extended Keyboard II from eBay and in the process of refurbishing it.

I've already replaced the keyswitches with Matias 35cn linears, and now I just need to install a USB microcontroller and de-yellow the plastic case.