Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Gruber leaves 5by5, takes "The Talk Show" solo to Mule Radio
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I can continue to predate the audience here if you really want 709 :P
Maybe, but I have the feeling we have roughly the same "predate" level. maybe we're both spoiled. *rimshot*

Quote:
[product placement snip]
I'm just joking of course... I don't believe any of that is relevant to today. But I think Apple utilizes celebrities, movies and famous people in their own way and more often than some people may notice.
Of course. I don't think anyone here is arguing that they don't. In fact, I'd argue they're on the level of soda companies () in their use of famous people. But they use them in very different ways.

I guess that's why I keep replying, because you keep ignoring the bottom line of what I'm trying to say. Putting a TV ad out with a celebrity espousing how "awesome" and "cool" is not the same as having some celebrities close to the chest for some tight-knit promotion for your brand is not the same as hiring a singer for what sounds like one of the most important positions in your company. Point.

Are we at an impasse? I need to make a sandwich either way.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-01-30 at 18:22.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-01-30, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
. Putting a TV ad out with a celebrity espousing how "awesome" and "cool" is not the same as having some celebrities close to the chest for some tight-knit promotion for your brand is not that same as hiring a singer for what sounds like one of the most important positions in your company. Point.

Are we at an impasse? I need to make a sandwich either way.
I get what you are saying, I'm just going to continue to refuse to acknowledge it so that I have something to do....

But, seriously.... what does the title even mean? Sure it sounds important and critical to Blackberry's future, but what does it even mean? What is her real role? I think it is just a silly marketing gimmick and she won't be doing shit. I don't know

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2013-01-30 at 18:27.
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 18:24

Quote:
I get what you are saying, 'm just going to continue to refuse to acknowledge it so that I have something to do....
Perfect! Then my hastily put together Fry edit is win.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-30, 18:27

Quote:
Perfect! Then my hastily put together Fry edit is win.
Does this mean you are going to stop replying?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2013-01-30, 19:15

I agree with BU that Dalrymple and Malik are being petty in some ways but the important point is that at the iPhone is the star of the show at iPhone shows. At the lesser shows, it can be different.

But this was by all measures the most important event in the history of the company. I don't think there were any celebrities at the iPhone or iPad launches.
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 19:25

The iPhone? You're out of your mind*. If it wasn't for the iMac Apple wouldn't even have made it to the iPhone.

*eats sandwich*

*[edit] I didn't mean that line to sound that snarky, but the iMac was the kit that saved Apple and made them what they are. There is no disagreeing with that.

*resumes eating sandwich*

So it goes.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2013-01-30, 19:51

Quote:
The iPhone? You're out of your mind*. If it wasn't for the iMac Apple wouldn't even have made it to the iPhone.

*eats sandwich*

*[edit] I didn't mean that line to sound that snarky, but the iMac was the kit that saved Apple and made them what they are. There is no disagreeing with that.

*resumes eating sandwich*
Sure. But different company, different time. But if we are talking pivotal products, I think the iPod wins.
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 20:06

If Apple produced the iPod and never produced the iMac we'd all be looking back on Apple and lamenting what a great company that could've been.

The only reason the iPod existed is because of the iMac and then iTunes.

The iMac is the reason Apple even exists. "different company, different time"? No way. I lived through that shit. I remember even the translucent aqua shields on the back of my Apple Laser Printer. The "handle" on my beige G3. No. No iMac, no Apple. So it would've gone.

When Apple introduced that little blueish-bubble it was the largest sigh of relief on the planet. We all *knew* it would be big, but we had no fucking idea.

Shit, I was playing with BeOS, thinking that was the next big thing.

So it goes.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-30, 20:39

Quote:
If Apple produced the iPod and never produced the iMac we'd all be looking back on Apple and lamenting what a great company that could've been.

The only reason the iPod existed is because of the iMac and then iTunes.

The iMac is the reason Apple even exists. "different company, different time"? No way. I lived through that shit. I remember even the translucent aqua shields on the back of my Apple Laser Printer. The "handle" on my beige G3. No. No iMac, no Apple. So it would've gone.

When Apple introduced that little blueish-bubble it was the largest sigh of relief on the planet. We all *knew* it would be big, but we had no fucking idea.

Shit, I was playing with BeOS, thinking that was the next big thing.

we are eerily alike.

I remember picking up BeOS at Staples (of all places) and installing it on my Performa 6360. It was incredible to me.... it was so fast! Although all I could really do with it was watch MPEG movies and use Gobe Productive and SheepShaver... because it made so much sense to run BeOS and then emulate Mac OS to be able to do anything.

And yes... the iMac is Apple's biggest, most important product/moment/turning point. That changed everything and saved the company.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-11-14, 19:29

Necro-bump.

I've got back into The Talk Show (although it's still a terrible title). Although I suspect the original reason for leaving was financial, I think in the long term, gruber made the right decision for "artistic" reasons.

In the new format the guest changes each week so there's something new coming to the table. In the 5by5 format, it's just Dan and the person the podcast is "by". Just listen to the latest "Back To Work" for why that's a bad thing. They have literally nothing to say to each other anymore. You either have to rotate guests or have a three-person format; In a three-person dynamic show, that doesn't happen as much. (See: ATP, YLNT and so on.)

Interesting how you can make the right decision for the wrong reasons.

You know, this analysis of the way tech podcasting stuff works gives me an idea...how about we start the AppleNova podcast? We need an uber-nerd: Brad. The designery one: Pscates: and a lunatic Canadian: Murbot. Special guest appearances by other members as required. I'm actually kind of serious.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-11-15, 00:26

I don't have a suitable broadcasting type voice/presence. And if you think I ramble here, in writing, you do not want the oral/verbal version...

I wouldn't force a show featuring me on my worst enemy.

Plus, there's that whole Southern accent thing to deal with as well...

Bonn89

2013-11-16, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Just listen to the latest "Back To Work" for why that's a bad thing. They have literally nothing to say to each other anymore.
I completely agree, but mostly about Amplified. Trying to listen to that show nowadays is just painful. It's almost as if Jim Dalrymple doesn't even want to be there. It's however-many minutes of half-sentences, awkward pauses, and Dan Benjamin pushing barely-interesting questions at Jim non-stop in a desperate attempt to squeeze a conversation out of him.

I was really upset when Build & Analyze and Hypercritical ended, but you know what? If those two shows continuing meant that they'd end up in the same state as Amplified, I'm glad they ended. (Plus as a bonus, we got Neutral and ATP out of it, so win-win)

My current favorite podcasts The Prompt (set 3-person panel), ATP (set 3-person panel), The Incomperable (3+ person rotating), Unprofessional (set 2-person with rotating guests), and The Talk Show (1 set host with rotating guest).

I think it's safe to say that, for the most part, I'm done with 1-on-1 podcasts.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-11-16, 16:47

B&A was okay, but I never got into Hypercritical, because listening to Siracusa for too long just hurts my head. ATP is far better in that the three's different personalities nicely complement each other.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-11-16, 17:13

Siracusa = Ray Romano

Build & Analyze was unlistenable to me because Marco Arment was such an arrogant, off-putting personality. Everything he said just came across like such a jerk or punk. And I'm not even counting when he'd get all snobby about his precious coffee. Good grief...he talked for nearly 25 minutes once about some small component of coffee making that only he could've possibly cared about.

Unlistenable. All he needed was some smooth jazz playing in the background and a slightly drier, more flat delivery and it could've been an NPR show.

"...and then, Terry, in May of 1998, outside of Burlington, Vermont, I tasted an exquisite cup of...".

¡Damned!

2015-06-29, 13:50

Apologies for the bump, but I've been listening to this for the last hour, and it's really good. The guest, Horace Dediu, is a delight. I've seen his name in passing just by following Apple things and whatnot, and I really don't know anything about him, but he seems like a legit guy that I would totally have a drink with. Still on the fence about Gruber. I like him in text, not sure if I'd like him in person.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-29, 15:41

Did you catch the live Talk Show with Phil Schiller?

Really was pretty cool having someone has big at Apple going on a podcast.
¡Damned!

2015-06-29, 16:02

I didn't, but I'm going to listen to that next.* I like this Dediu guy. His voice sounds like a Jewish stepdad, but after DDGing him apparently he's from Romania. He's well spoken, that's for sure, and smart in a thoughtful way.

*This is the first Talk Show I've listened to all the way through. I skimmed a few before now, but I'm going to go back and look through guest lists/subject matter, because maybe I should give it a chance.

Or, if any of y'all have suggestions/favorites off the top of your head, let me know.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-06-29 at 16:19.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-06-29, 18:09

Quote:
I didn't, but I'm going to listen to that next.* I like this Dediu guy. His voice sounds like a Jewish stepdad, but after DDGing him apparently he's from Romania. He's well spoken, that's for sure, and smart in a thoughtful way.

*This is the first Talk Show I've listened to all the way through. I skimmed a few before now, but I'm going to go back and look through guest lists/subject matter, because maybe I should give it a chance.

Or, if any of y'all have suggestions/favorites off the top of your head, let me know.
Unfortunately Gruber is pretty darn good. I want to dislike him but its kind of hard. He has good insight and commentary and his profile in the Apple world has grown a lot in recent years. What I like most about him, is that he is providing one of the last links to the late 90s/early 2000s Apple that I grew up with and am very nolstagic about. He seems like a fan just as I was, and many of you guys... and he's in a way, the legit reasonable super fan now, with some surprising trust and access to Apple.

Quote:
Did you catch the live Talk Show with Phil Schiller?

Really was pretty cool having someone has big at Apple going on a podcast.
I highly recommend everyone watch the video version. It is one of the most enjoyable insights into Apple I have seen in the modern era. And along the lines of my comments above, it is just fun, and appeals directly to us die hard and long term apple fans who have all come a long way and seen a lot.

Schiller seemed so much more relaxed and personable in the interview then he typically is on stage and it was also clear that he is a pretty normal guy and very much in tune with apple gossip, feedback, and blogs. He's a fan just like us.

My other take away, is that it is remarkable to me, how Apple is seemingly run so well, by so few people, for a company it's size. You really get the feel that every week these 5-10 guys and girls are making the majority of the decisions and are just normal people doing their best.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-29, 19:13

The video is great.

Here it is on Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/130510366

I listened to the podcast first and then watched the video when it came out.
¡Damned!

2015-06-29, 22:30

Quote:
Unfortunately Gruber is pretty darn good. I want to dislike him but its kind of hard.
He kind've puts me off sometimes in his intonation because I can't help but think he wants to be the tech version of Ira Glass, but I can deal with that. His voice is pleasant enough for a podcast. Doubtful any of us could say the same.

So it goes.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-06-29, 23:58

Quote:
He kind've puts me off sometimes in his intonation because I can't help but think he wants to be the tech version of Ira Glass, but I can deal with that. His voice is pleasant enough for a podcast. Doubtful any of us could say the same.
yea. there is that, but I also grow weary of his rambling. At times it can be pretty bad.
¡Damned!

2015-06-30, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
The video is great.

Here it is on Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/130510366
Man, Phil Schiller is so likable. What a great piece.

*also, I guess I didn't know what a dork Gruber is. Kinda makes me like him a bit more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2015-06-30 at 08:53.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-06-30, 18:19

Quote:
yea. there is that, but I also grow weary of his rambling. At times it can be pretty bad.
Yup. The contrast between his finer pieces of writing and his rambling podcast voice is striking.

That said, the Schiller interview was quite well-done.