User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-01, 11:19

Wow, awesome work! That really is great news and glad to work has been paying off for you.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-04-01, 13:27

Signed up to hopefully become less of a bum. Seriously lacking motivation lately so hoping this helps.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-04-03, 17:15

You know what you people need more of?

Spoiler (click to toggle):
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-03, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
You know what you people need more of?

Spoiler (click to toggle):
AMEN!!!

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-04-04, 02:14

mmmmm. that's why we (I) do it!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-04-06, 16:35

I just ordered myself a pair of the bowflex selecttech dumbbells. Have to admit, I'm pretty damn excited. They have nothing but great reviews and are great for a home gym.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 00:19

I got Zombies, Run! today since it's half off in the iTunes store. Tomorrow I plan to head out and give it a shot. Lets see if I can make it! Seems it will be integrating with RunKeeper soon too making it then work with Fitocracy as well.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-04-08, 07:35

I saw the sale, it was tempting but I still don't know how much I'd use it. I really hate running.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-04-08, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I got Zombies, Run! today since it's half off in the iTunes store. Tomorrow I plan to head out and give it a shot. Lets see if I can make it! Seems it will be integrating with RunKeeper soon too making it then work with Fitocracy as well.
I just downloaded it. I'm gonna give it a try in about an hour. Kinda excited to see how it works.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 11:15

It's also for walking and jogging jdcfsu. So if you go on walks it's good for that too. I haven't used it yet, but plan to today for a walk at least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 19:40

So I started to use the app today when I went on a walk with Mrs T but was quickly informed how zombies in the background of our "date walk" would not work. So I didn't get to use the app after all...

I did level up today though!

I did some pushups on my knuckles just to throw me over. Why my knuckles? for effect because it was going to put me over.

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-04-15, 08:48

5,641 points to 250,000 total!

I bought more weights, but not sure it was a good idea considering my 'squat rack' was made from 2 dining chairs and 2 coffee tables... Hoping to hit level 8 soon though so I don't feel bad for dragging the average down.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-05-01, 07:28

Is anybody else running in the Indy 500 Festival 5K this Saturday? I'm going to be there, and it's my first race ever! I thought it might be fun to meet up with any fellow Novians at the park after the race.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-01, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Is anybody else running in the Indy 500 Festival 5K this Saturday? I'm going to be there, and it's my first race ever! I thought it might be fun to meet up with any fellow Novians at the park after the race.
Good luck with that! I'm thinking about doing my first one in July. My gf is doing it and wants me to run with her. She'd smoke my ass though. She's a hardcore runner.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-05-01, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Good luck with that! I'm thinking about doing my first one in July. My gf is doing it and wants me to run with her. She'd smoke my ass though. She's a hardcore runner.
Do it anyway! Just don't feel bad when she kicks your ass.

There are a bunch of people from work running in this race, and I'm sure I'm going to be the slowest. I don't care, though. I'm just proud that I'm doing it at all, since I never even ran before this year.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-05-05, 16:48

Since running is something that bores me nearly as much as taxes, I tried something a little different. We have one of those old-school Schwinn Air-dyne bikes (air resistance) and I thought that the same process that works with perfect push-ups and iron-gym pull-ups (doing 3 consecutive sets - long, medium, short in the span of 2-3 minutes) might work for strengthening leg muscles too?

IOW with the push-ups and pull-ups, the trick is you repeat the cycle every 10 or 15 minutes, a total of 3 or 4 times until your upper body is just shot. Then you hit the myoplex and let your body rest for a couple days before doing it again. I figure with the bike... I warm up at a slower speed for a minute or two, ratchet up to a medium resistance until I start to feel some burn, then hit the pedals as hard as I can for a minute or two until my legs give out... then wind down slow... repeat again in 5 or 10 minutes. Anyone think that would work / have experience with that kind of build-up for their legs? I'm not big into gyms and doing the whole free weight thing.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-05-07, 07:03

I finished the race in 42:13. I could have been a couple minutes faster, but I had to slow to a walk a few times because of the humidity. I took a bathroom break in the middle, but that probably only cost me 20-30 seconds. Walking cost me probably 3-4 minutes.

I'm pretty damn proud of myself for finishing, though. I've come a long way since I started running back in January, and there's no turning back now. I'm already looking forward to my next race in September.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-05-07, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I'm pretty damn proud of myself for finishing, though.
You should be! That's an awsum accomplishment.

I've sort of fallen off the Fitocracy train, with everything that's happened lately, and my new place doesn't have a gym. But I hopefully won't be there long. Longer-term, I'm looking at apartments with 24-hour fitness rooms. That'd be cool — I could go there at like 3 a.m., when I'm actually up

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-07, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You should be! That's an awsum accomplishment.

I've sort of fallen off the Fitocracy train, with everything that's happened lately, and my new place doesn't have a gym. But I hopefully won't be there long. Longer-term, I'm looking at apartments with 24-hour fitness rooms. That'd be cool — I could go there at like 3 a.m., when I'm actually up
I love 24 hour fitness places. When I went to Ohio State, the one rec center was open 24 hours and I would go there around 12am-2pm some nights. It was great.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-07, 14:12

I miss living in Japan, personally...if most of what you do is riding or jogging/walking, you don't need a fitness center over there, since it's actually safe to be out on the streets at night.

Toward the end of my tour when I was taking a lot of leave, I would regularly go out in the dark hours of the morning and just walk for an hour or so, wandering around at random, and nobody ever bothered me. I wouldn't even think of doing that in most cities here in the States – too many troublemakers.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-05-07, 15:56

Congrats Wyatt - great stuff on completing the run.

SpecMode - I felt the same way about China. Spent many post midnight hours jogging along the city wall and sometimes walking the city streets and always felt safe.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-05-07, 17:23

I've been trying to work out a way of logging moving house somehow. It certainly felt like a lot of exercise.

Ho-hum.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-07, 17:53

When I was at the YMCA they had fitness machines that were set with your workout. When you got there you logged into the system and it told you your workout. Which machines to use and how many sets to do.

Then when you got to the machine you punched in your number and it was loaded with your weight and reps/sets. This was awesome. Really made it easy to workout.

Is there something like this for the iPhone/iPad? I want to use machines so I don't have to worry about a spotter. Also, easy for choosing weight and moving to the next machine. iPhone is the preferred device, though I can use the iPad if it's the best. This will get me in the gym more I think.

Also, really looking to get the 100 Pushup app and make that my goal. Fitocracy is awesome, but it alone isn't really making the difference. I'm also going to set myself a "prize" to win after certain milestones.

You know, eat at Five Guys once I reach goal A, buy new "gadget" at goal B, etc...

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-05-08, 02:52

I haven't used it a whole lot, but the GAIN Fitness app mentioned on Fitocracy a while back seems pretty good. It certainly has had me doing things I normally wouldn't have done (which in turn brought levels of pain I hadn't had in while) so it may be worth a look. The standard workout pack is free too so it can't hurt to try.

The only thing I know of similar to what you mention is Technogym workout trackers, but those are specific to Technogym machines. GAIN will at least tell you what exercises to do, but the weight to use is something you'll still have to figure out.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-08, 03:06

A challenger approaches!

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-05-08, 10:33

Haiyaku de!

With that look, maybe I should take a few weeks off!
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-05-11, 13:24

I've had a REALLY, REALLY bad week. I haven't gotten to log in or do anything for a solid seven days. House is being painted, two cars went down needing repairs, I've got a new (for me) bike I am working on, I tweaked my back trying crossfit, I resubmitted some work for my thesis and have gotten zero feedback while under a time constraint and all this is horribly distracting and demotivating.

Starting with some bike rides this weekend to try to get back in the saddle. My new for me 1983 Univega Gran Tursimo will hopefully be trouble free.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-05-11, 15:40

Bad week for me too

After the pushup challenge finishing last week I took a day off to recover, but instead got sick and it's only really today I've thought of doing anything again. Still haven't though... Next week will be different!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-11, 20:40

Really bad few weeks for me. Continued long hours at the day job plus a new round of prednisone puts me squarely in the "not gonna do shit that requires moving around" zone when I get home from work lately.

Also, I've spent some time working on these recently, which are sucking away many of my evening hours.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-05-11, 20:47

I just got my bike back, so I probably ought to get back on the road this weekend. Next week is Finals Week, though...