AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) tells "fans" the truth

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) tells "fans" the truth
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-07, 19:13

Have you ever been to a band's website's message boards or email list? It's a bunch of snotty stuck up better than thou assholes who are obsessed with the band, hate everything else, think they are god's gift to earth and that whatever band it is that they like should cater specifically to them. It's one of the weirdest and most pathetic things I've seen online. I browse a couple rather frequently for Pearl Jam, U2, etc since I'm always looking for new album and touring news and rumors.

Well, Adam Duritz, lead singer of the Counting Crows apparently had no problem in telling his fanatics exactly how pathetic they were and I love him for it. Unfortunately I think his rant can be applied to a lot of people on the internet these days.

Quote:
Gee, did you ever wonder what it's like to have a website filled with fans who love you and your work and are genuinely decent caring people? Me too. Remind me to ask my friend Mary-Louise sometime. Then I can come back here and tell you all about it. First you complain when we have the audacity to help raise a million dollars for charities here in New York because you got left out. Then you talk about what sellouts we are for letting the gap set up a FREE show so a bunch of you can see us. FOR FREE. Last, you dump all your venom and bullshit "disillusionment" philosophy on a bunch of people who are simply trying to do something nice for someone they love and admire.
I almost said people "like yourselves", but I think we all know why that would be grossly incorrect. They contacted me about writing something here on the site to see if any of you were interested, but I was afraid ML would find out if I wrote something on the front page. I suggested one of them write something on the board as it's much more hidden. I should have known what a horrible idea that was. It's not that you should be interested in any way necessarily. It's not like you need to interested at all. It's just that you're such snotty little condescending assholes about your disinterest. Does every discussion have to turn into something where you all show off your high minded superiority to the the "dirty capitalist entertainment industry"? Don't you ever get tired of listening to yourselves? I know I do. And you wonder why I choose not to communicate with you lately. I wonder why anyone would.
I know we have a ton of nice fans because I meet so many of you after every show. Where are you? And isn't there a Counting Assholes board out there where the rest of you can spend your time shitting all over each other.
adam
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-07, 19:18

OMG That's great!

My respect for Duritz just went up several notches.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-05-07, 19:34

My respect for Duritz was always high. They've been one of my favourite bands. Didn't know it could go up much higher, but that's a great post. If anything, he's tended to be honest about it all.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-07, 19:42

The best part is the insanity level his post has pushed the message board to. It's hilarious to read. What a bunch of wankers.

Although to be honest, I could see Steve Jobs making a similar post here and it being just as true and causing the same ridiculous reactions
¡Damned!

2005-05-07, 20:31

Good for him. I've been to a few band's message board sites and been instantly turned off (by the fans, that is). It's nice to see a 'real' guy posting a 'real' opinion. Sorry if this isn't the most coherent post or explanation....but so it goes. I'm back from a CD release party....and I'm offish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
Although to be honest, I could see Steve Jobs making a similar post here and it being just as true and causing the same ridiculous reactions
Not true. Besides the occassional fanboi I think we've got a pretty solid group here.

Apart from murbot asking about the size of his buttplugs, me asking what colour underwear he's wearing, Brad asking if he's *ever* going to update FileMaker, Kickaha begging for a true XML+++ environment (whatever that means), Luca bitching about the lack of real video cards, Jack pleading for photos of his wife partially clothed, alcimedes wondering if he has a niece, FormerLurker chiding him into listening to a Radiators show circa 1980, and Carol asking about his rising sign....he'd be OK here.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-05-07 at 20:36.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-05-08, 01:12

Shades of Shatner, I love it!

This is fun to watch, but it's bad discipline. Artists exist to be criticised. Stars exist to be admired. Artists can only answer criticism in one way -- by producing more art. Stars only answer criticism in one way -- by having tantrums. His little tantrum, while understandable, tells you a lot. I don't think he's wrong for doing it, everything he says is spot on, but what the heck is he doing slumming with 'fans' on a web forum. If he's doing promoion, fine. If he's trying to score a daily hit of adulation, that tells of a very fragile, yet demanding, ego. Utterly neurotic: "Love me, I'm great, look at all I've done for you."

When Shatner tells his biggest fans that they're losers, you know he doesn't give a damn. It's a joke, it's funny, and if you get offended by it, well that just proves the point! When Duritz does it, you feel a much more desperate vibe coming through.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-08, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
This is fun to watch, but it's bad discipline. Artists exist to be criticised.
But there is a difference between criticism and the self-righteous wanking that's going on in these forums. It's really much more a question of Internet culture than the particular band/company/product/religion/etc. it is about. You don't see people fighting endless flamewars in real life (not often, anyway), but it's pretty common in any online forum. Heck, people even abuse each other over which friggin' editor they use.

I think that Duritz' posting was a bit too insulting to really have an effect - but then, I don't know how to do this right, either. Maybe it'll open some people's eyes to what they're doing. But in the long run, it probably won't change much.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-05-08, 06:54

Oh yeah, I think you're right of course, but I still think it's funny that an artist feels close to his fans enough that he frequents such a forum, ostensibly about himself. I'm sure it's not unique, though. I've read of other celebs that frequent boards related to them/their work. The medium really lets the inner geek come out, actually helps create it. Did it exist before the internet? Certainly there were critical/social/artistic communities that were closer; they veered from art into all sorts of interpersonal critiques. Net participants are funnier, because they feel so close. But Duritz is also one of the participants, so he can't get too self righteous about it. If he's made them 'family' on some psychological level, that's just as weird, to me...